USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

On 7/29/2022 at 2:43 PM, neo_prankster said:

@WideRight

Do you have a backup design for the Wranglers in case Dane says no?

I have a couple of options if I must.  I don't like either of them as well.   They tend to lean heavily towards a version of the Titan's flaming thumbtack. 

Hey all, hoping for some crowdsourcing on some Arizona Wrangler concepts.  3 different versions, 2 largely based on "Real World" designs and one a little out of the ether.   Let me know what you think and which you think would make a good transition for the Wranglers in 2000. 

spacer.png

Option A:  Modified branding iron.  This one combines some elements of the original Wranglers logo with new flames, courtesy of the Tennessee Titans, and a different font W. 

Option B: Going a different direction, we combine a more angular "W" with the deer/cow/thing from the XFL's Las Vegas Outlaws.  

Option C;  I started by trying to modify the LV Outlaws into a more clearly defined cattle or buffalo skull, but ended up going a totally new direction by adding in elements of a dreamcatcher.  If we assume that the Wranglers worked with local indigenous artists (similar to the kachinka coyote) to create the look, I could see them going possibly in this direction.

So, minor change (with NFL influence), big change (with XFL influence) or big change with no real world equivalent?  Which should it be?

• Like 1

A, hands down.  

I was never a fan of the branding utilized by the XFL’s Las Vegas Outlaws to begin with. As the centerpiece of your option B, the horns forming a stylized O make no sense, given that neither the place name nor team nickname begin with the letter.

As for option C, the dream catcher just doesn’t tie-in to the Wranglers team identity. 

• Like 2

Thanks to all for your input.  I do want to make it clear that this is the same Wranglers team, but I found the brand a bit busy, especially with the Titans' style flames.  So, back to the drawing board and I think I have come up with a modern, simplified design that still clearly evokes the IRL Wranglers' look.   

What do you think of this look for the 2001 (and beyond) Arizona Wranglers?  (Click to get a zoomable version)

spacer.png

• Like 14
  • Applause 2

Looks much improved! Really like the number font to invoke a Flame at the top corner of the numbers. The logo also looks clean and very "Wrangler" unlike most of the logos mentioned in your previous post. 

xFUdNmt.png

OK, more crowdsourcing.  My premise is that the Portland Thunder are never going to be able to get a bigger, better stadium in Portland.  Civic Stadium is fine for the Timbers, there is no MLB or NFL in town, and UO is not interested.  

This, in my mind, makes Portland one of the clubs most likely to relocate, and I am thinking early 2000's for that move.  But where?  

I know where they are going to end up in the late 2010's,  but I am trying to figure out where they might go in between.  Here are some contenders.  Let me know your thoughts and any suggestions.  Remember that the idea is that this will be a 12-18 year home, but that they will leave again late in the 2010's again because the conditions are not ideal for a profitable endeavor.   And I would want them to stay in the West so as not to force another team to realign or switch divisions.  So, thoughts on possible intermediary locations?

• Honolulu, Aloha Stadium
  • Las Vegas, Sam Boyd Stadium
  • San Jose, SJSU Spartan Stadium
  • Dallas, Ford Stadium (SMU)
  • Salt Lake City, U. of Utah Stadium

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WideRight said:

OK, more crowdsourcing.  My premise is that the Portland Thunder are never going to be able to get a bigger, better stadium in Portland.  Civic Stadium is fine for the Timbers, there is no MLB or NFL in town, and UO is not interested.  

This, in my mind, makes Portland one of the clubs most likely to relocate, and I am thinking early 2000's for that move.  But where?  

I know where they are going to end up in the late 2010's,  but I am trying to figure out where they might go in between.  Here are some contenders.  Let me know your thoughts and any suggestions.  Remember that the idea is that this will be a 12-18 year home, but that they will leave again late in the 2010's again because the conditions are not ideal for a profitable endeavor.   And I would want them to stay in the West so as not to force another team to realign or switch divisions.  So, thoughts on possible intermediary locations?

Honestly, I'd rather see them stay in Portland, but if Oregon (and Oregon State) don't have anything ideal or are too far out of town, then they would have to go. My first thought would be Sacramento (not on here), but that's not much of an improvement over PDX. Dallas would require a move to the Central or realignment and I just don't see that happening. San Jose might be too close to Oakland but if the Invaders are okay with it, I could see that. Las Vegas and Salt Lake could be interesting and could develop some rivalries. Honolulu is the most intriguing of all though. I know, travel expenses and all, but my idea would be to play the entire first-half of the season at home and the second half on the road in even-numbered years and vice versa for odd numbered years. Other options could be Vancouver, BC (if the CFL's fine with it), Oklahoma City (OU's campus is not far from town) and maybe San Diego. 

xFUdNmt.png

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

If they go to Salt Lake City and play at Rice-Eccles, they can be the Rocky Mountain Thunder.

Vegas and Honolulu are the only other places they can still get away with the neon green.

If they do go to Honolulu, they can rebrand as the Kaiju.

Either way, it's pretty sad to see Portland continue to play second fiddle to Seattle, even in fictional universes like this one.

• Like 1