USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Really keen eyes in this group.  Cannot get anything past you guys.  Yes, very much inspired by the twin-blue Seattle Seahawks of the Matt Hasselebeck era, still my favorite look ever for Seattle (The light grey just captures a rainy day in Seattle perfectly).    The LA monogram has a touch of Memphis Express to it as well, yes.  I did not think of the Texans here, but perhaps the font (which I think is actually the St. Louis Rams font, if I remember right.)

Birmingham up next, and yes, the tapered stripe trend will continue (we are approaching the era of the XFL after all). 

• Like 4

Still waiting to hear back from Rick Backus (the original designer back when the Bronocos were reimagined) because I really want his blessing on this before I make it official, but just for you all, here is my reworking of one of his Bronco designs from the mid-90's, now the potential new identity of the Birmingham Stallions.  

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hello all, two things for you tonight. 

First, the Birmingham uniforms.  They are a pretty traditional team, so the only really "modern" touch is the Bronco-styled tapered helmet stripe.  Otherwise a pretty standard look for the Stallions for the Milennium. 

spacer.png

And, just because I recently whipped up the 1999 Summer Bowl Logo, here are the past 4 Summer Bowls in NY/NJ, San Antonio, Columbus, and now Los Angeles. 

1996-Meadowlands

spacer.png

1997-San Antonio

spacer.png

1998-Ohio Stadium in Columbus

spacer.png

And finally, 1999, in the stadium shared by the LA Express and LA Raiders (remember, they never move back to Oakland because they get a stadium deal in LA with the USFL's help).    This is about as CALI as a logo can get without having a raisin in it.

spacer.png

• Like 8

That discarded Bakas design works perfectly for the Stallions. Smart choice.

My one quibble would be to somehow resolve the stallion's missing legs. I'm not suggesting going full body, but you could, for example, go the Miami Dolphins route and have it look as it it's coming out of a circle. You could also take the Michigan Panthers approach and make it look as if the Stallion is rising from the bottom of the helmet. 

I think the updated Stallions logo and helmet are the first ones in this series that I don't really care for. I don't hate it, but something about that logo on the helmet just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it needs something akin to a Michigan Panthers inspired helmet treatment or an oversized version of the logo.

Not sure, but just seems a little off for me although I seem to be in the minority for sure. 

SInce I have everyone thinking about the Invaders (waiting on the unis), a question for you:

Let's assume that the Invaders will eventually leave Oakland due to stadium issues.  I think they will most likely end up in Santa Clara, sharing a stadium with the 49ers.  If they do that should they...

1. Remain the Oakland Invaders despite playing in Santa Clara?

2. Become the San Jose Invaders?

3. The Bay Area Invaders?

Is there a better location name?  NorCal?   Golden Bay?  (Does that bay have a name or is the SF Bay, which would not work)?  East Bay?  California?  Golden State?  

It seems weird to me to have 2 teams sharing a stadium and have one called San Francisco and the other Oakland, but I cannot say that I really like any of the options I have come up with yet.   I am open to suggestions (except for the suggestion that they move to Las Vegas). 

NorCal invaders could work, IMHO would the colors change with the move to levi's? i know they had planned to make it like metlive stadium, where things coulkd change if the raiders played there too

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Personally, i'd say California Invaders to appeal not just to fans in the Bay Area but to people in say, San Diego who feel reluctant about rooting for the LA Express. Bay Area or Golden State Invaders would also work well too. 

• Like 2

xFUdNmt.png

I'll second Golden State Invaders. It may not roll off the tongue as easily as other options, but I like the uniformity with the Warriors. Plus, the Warriors at this point would still be in Oakland, so I could see the Warriors and Invaders having a sort of kinship.