USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

49 minutes ago, WideRight said:

A quick poll for you all:  WHich of these teams do you think would absolutely upgrade, update, or swap out their 1980's logo at some point if they existed into the 2000's?  And which would be too "iconic" to ever change?

Pittsburgh Maulers

Jacksonville Bulls

LA Express

Oakland Invaders

Tampa Bay Bandits

Memphis Showboats

Philadelphia Stars

Birmingham Stallions

Arizona Wranglers

Just pondering who to do minor tweaks to and who to overhaul as I get close to the 2000's in my alt history. 

The iconic teams I think would be the Express, Stars, Bandits and Wranglers. Especially the Stars because of the success they had in the Eighties.

Either way, I still would love for San Diego to get a USFL team at some point.

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

A quick poll for you all:  WHich of these teams do you think would absolutely upgrade, update, or swap out their 1980's logo at some point if they existed into the 2000's?  And which would be too "iconic" to ever change?

Pittsburgh Maulers

Jacksonville Bulls

LA Express

Oakland Invaders

Tampa Bay Bandits

Memphis Showboats

Philadelphia Stars

Birmingham Stallions

Arizona Wranglers

Just pondering who to do minor tweaks to and who to overhaul as I get close to the 2000's in my alt history. 

Oakland

4 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

The iconic teams I think would be the Express, Stars, Bandits and Wranglers. Especially the Stars because of the success they had in the Eighties.

Either way, I still would love for San Diego to get a USFL team at some point.

San Diego, along with several other large metro areas (Dallas, Boston, Miami, KC, Indy, Twin Cities, etc) seem poised to either push for another expansion or to try to start poaching current USFL teams that have stadium or attendance issues.  We shall see if any of them are successful. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, WideRight said:

Pittsburgh Maulers

Jacksonville Bulls

LA Express

Oakland Invaders

Tampa Bay Bandits

Memphis Showboats

Philadelphia Stars

Birmingham Stallions

Arizona Wranglers

I don't think any of these are untouchable, so in my mind it becomes a question as to degrees of change. Here's how I see it:

SUBTLE UPGRADES
Jacksonville Bulls: In my mind, only Michigan's immersive panther helmet can eclipse the charging bull that wraps around the helmet.  The unusual blend of maroon/orange/silver/black is also a unique color combo. If anything, I could see subtle upgrades to this, much like we saw with the Seahawks logo a decade ago. 

Oakland Invaders: Another one of my favorite USFL helmets with a unique color combo. I've always liked how they found a new way to do a lightning-centric logo in a way that isn't a carbon copy of the Chargers. The fist might come off as cartoonish, but I like the shape of the overall logo -- a circle, but with elements that are allowed to break out of it. Like the Bulls, I'd be OK with modern tweaks to this. 

MORE-INVOLVED UPGRADES

Pittsburgh Maulers:  I love the Maulers colors, but was never enamored with the use of the hammering steelworker as the primary mark. In addition to modernizing it, I'd shift it to secondary status. I'd replace it with something closer to what the new USFL did as a secondary mark: a keystone with crossed hammers within. 

Tampa Bay Bandits/ Birmingham Stallions/ Philadelphia Stars/ Memphis Showboats:  I've lumped all these together because they all suffer from the same issue. The Bandits/Showboats and Stars/Stallions need more color separation. I'd suggest, based on their relative levels of success, that the Bandits and Stars retain their current colors while the Showboats and Stallions eventually adopt a more unique color palette. As for logos, I've never been impressed by the variations on horses that the Bandits and Stallions used. I'd be open for something new. And I've said this before, but the Stars logo is terrible. I don't know if there's  shape more easily identifiable than a star, yet the original Stars felt the need to shoehorn their name onto the primary/helmet logo. I'd prefer something that features the cascading stars (without the word) more prominently, perhaps even building from the back of the helmet toward the front. The Showboats logo is clever, but could stand for a touchup. 

COMPLETE OVERHAUL

Arizona Wranglers: I've never cared for this look, from the color scheme to the copper helmets to the poorly rendered branding iron that makes their logo.  They. looked much better during that period when they were the Arizona Outlaws. If the idea is to stick to the Wranglers name, I'd start all over -- colors and all. 

LA Express: I've always thought this was the least-inspired look in the entirety of the USFL. They took a bland color scheme and character-less font and tried to attached the Lakers motion lines to it. It just doesn't work. Another candidate to start over with. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

to be entirely honest, all of them feel like they'd have been overhauled by 2010 aside from Memphis. some teams may go back to their retro look later on (Jacksonville is the big one I see this happening with), but as for the rest, they could all use some touch-ups.

53Ocz8U.png

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Arizona Wranglers: I've never cared for this look, from the color scheme to the copper helmets to the poorly rendered branding iron that makes their logo.  They. looked much better during that period when they were the Arizona Outlaws. If the idea is to stick to the Wranglers name, I'd start all over -- colors and all. 

Just, no. 

I don't understand how you think copper, red and blue is a bad color combo in favor of the SUPER unusual black and red of the Outlaws. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Dude really? The Outlaws was one of the worst logos in football and whoever created it should be shot.

4 hours ago, heavybass said:

Dude really? The Outlaws was one of the worst logos in football and whoever created it should be shot.

I personally love it since I remember watching the actual team in 1984. And I lived in OKC so they were my adopted team.

But when you add copper to the mix of black and red. Dear Lord that wasn't easy on the eyes.  Those unis were so off balance it wasn't funny. The Wranglers 1984 unis and the logo were and still is one of the best logo/unis ever.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

2 hours ago, pokecat12 said:

I personally love it since I remember watching the actual team in 1984. And I lived in OKC so they were my adopted team.

But when you add copper to the mix of black and red. Dear Lord that wasn't easy on the eyes.  Those unis were so off balance it wasn't funny. The Wranglers 1984 unis and the logo were and still is one of the best logo/unis ever.

I agree that the Outlaws' addition of copper didn't work. While in OKC — much like a few other teams I mentioned — they unfortunately shared a color palette with Houston. They fixed that upon the move to Arizona by adding the copper pants, which only detracted from what was previously a really clean-looking uniform.  They looked way better in Oklahoma.

spacer.png vs. spacer.png

And to clear, @heavybass, I never said the Wranglers logo was good, only that the Outlaws, on the whole, were a much better-looking team than they were as the Wranglers.  I think the idea of the masked-bandit motif really works; it could easily be executed better with a more modern design.

As for the love for the Wranglers, to each their own, I guess. But to me, a  color palette that includes royal blue, bright yellow, red and copper (which comes off as a combination of dingy-meets-butterscotch)  is the definition of garish. On top of that, they had a logo that looks like it belongs to a cheap steakhouse. I bet those cartoonish flames on the pants gave those steaks a nice sear, though.  

spacer.png

NIce debate.  I actually like both the Arizona Wranglers overall look and the Oklahoma Outlaws, but not so much the Arizona Outlaws.  But, since the Outlaws (now in San Antonio) and the Wranglers are now (1997) well-established teams, I don't think we will see a merger any time soon.   That is not to say that both the Wranglers logo and the Outlaws logo won't see updates as time goes by.  There are very few teams that will not have some type of modernization, but most will be tweaks instead of complete logo overhauls.   Think more Minnesota Vikings with just a few Buccaneers mixed in.  A lot of revision and a few total redo looks.  

Oh, and there is one team which will have at least 5-6 differnent primary logos between 1983 and 2022.  They already had one and they are soon to get a second.  Can you guess who that is?

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

Oh, and there is one team which will have at least 5-6 differnent primary logos between 1983 and 2022.  They already had one and they are soon to get a second.  Can you guess who that is?

Gonna guess the Blitz? 

On 2/11/2022 at 11:44 AM, gosioux76 said:

I agree that the Outlaws' addition of copper didn't work. While in OKC — much like a few other teams I mentioned — they unfortunately shared a color palette with Houston. They fixed that upon the move to Arizona by adding the copper pants, which only detracted from what was previously a really clean-looking uniform.  They looked way better in Oklahoma.

spacer.png 

Just for the record, the Oklahoma Outlaws played in TULSA, not in OKC.

• Like 2

OK folks, the first new item for 1998, Baltimore introduces not only a secondary logo, but a new character to the world of football mascots.   Introducing....

spacer.png

Yup, a character many of you may remember from a short-lived kinda over-the-top league makes an appearance as the personification of the Baltimore Blitz's X-treme 90's personality.  But how will Billy be used?  Of course there will be a large foam-headed Billy on the sidelines, but will this logo make it onto the Blitz uniform?  The helmets?  Just how gung ho will Baltimore go with this idea?  

Unis are coming soon, but for now bask in the glory that is this bizarre Hulk-Frankenstein-Schwarzenneger mashup!!!

• WOAH 1