USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

34 minutes ago, Skycast said:

I love the removal of the red and the overall color dynamic, but I'm just not feeling the tomahawk being complete horizontal. Feels to me like it should be at some sort of angle.

I agree with this. I'm also not feeling the O in the helmet logo. I'd drop it and just lean heavily into the tomahawk as the helmet logo.

Also, I feel like by emphasizing the O you end up with a mishmash of competing fonts: one for the O and "Orlando" in the wordmark, another for Renegades, and another for uniform numbers. 

Personally, I'd drop the script. I know it harkens back to the team's founding, but I never saw it as a defining element of the brand. If anything, the script holds back the potential of the brand. 

Thanks both of you.  Yes, I agree and may tweek the angle of the tomohawk.  If you were around for an earlier project of mine, you likely recognize the logo from I think a Cleveland project, where it was aligned with a C instead of an O.    The font will change, perhaps sooner than I anticipated.

The big issue with Orlando is if and when they will opt to either rename the team or design a non-Native American identity for the Renegades.  The name itself is not an issue, but I don't see the tomahawk surviving well into the 2010's or until today.  We are only at 1997 right now, so there is time, but I expect to have a battle over the name/iconography and I think (if Orlando retains the team all the way) that it might get at the least a non-Native visual image.  Perhaps a renegade rhine, shark, or a Dallas Renegade XFL look (but with the Outlaws, Gamblers, Wranglers and Bandits, I hesitate to add one more "old west" theme, especially in Florida).   

Time will tell.  

Next up is a new look for Denver, but one based on one of my favorite pro designers who has posted on this site. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, WideRight said:

The big issue with Orlando is if and when they will opt to either rename the team or design a non-Native American identity for the Renegades.  The name itself is not an issue, but I don't see the tomahawk surviving well into the 2010's or until today.  We are only at 1997 right now, so there is time, but I expect to have a battle over the name/iconography and I think (if Orlando retains the team all the way) that it might get at the least a non-Native visual image.  Perhaps a renegade rhine, shark, or a Dallas Renegade XFL look (but with the Outlaws, Gamblers, Wranglers and Bandits, I hesitate to add one more "old west" theme, especially in Florida).   

This is really smart, and will be a really fun exercise.

When I think of "renegade" I think of non-conformist, a rulebreaker, someone who flaunts the law. I think it's possible to represent that without bringing in any indigenous, animal or old west iconography. It could be something simple, like an "O" breaking free from chains (and in which chains could become a striping pattern.) Or maybe you can build something off the universal symbol of "no" — 🚫 — since it already has an "O" in it. 

Maybe the idea of nonconformity becomes part of the brand, making them the Raiders of this league. Could be an opportunity, too, to revisit the Birmingham Bolts/XFL-style helmet. Stick the O in the front of the helmet, with broken chain links trailing off. 

I supposed that could make it a bit too XFLish, but it's an idea. 

• Like 2

Last one for 1997, the Denver Gold.

Many Thanks to Fraser Davidson, who gave me permission to use his Denver Miners concept.  Fraser is one of my favorite designers and this logo for me was the perfect update of the Gold.  Comments on the update after the images. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

While a lot remains from their past look, the big shift is the logo, but there are other, perhaps more subtle shifts.  Having 2 different gold tones lets me create a forced "shine" as one blends into the others, as we see on the helmet stripe and pant stripes.  I also opted to move away from traditional sleeve stripes towards more of a "Houston Texans" shoulder swoosh, either in black and gold (white jersey) or two golds (black jersey).  The last addition is a new font for the wordmark.  

Thoughts?  Not a huge departure, but a shift to be sure. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

On 1/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, Skycast said:

Honestly for me the starbust is better as a primary logo...I dunno what exactly it is, but the D with the pickaxe is just sort of generic.

With apologies to Fraser, who really is a remarkable talent, I feel as if the handle of the pickaxe turns the D into a B. It's a bigger issue when presented on a white background than on black. The additional black border around the handle on the white application brings more attention to the handle. 

Fraser did a great job with the primary, and whoever did the jersey did a great job with the pick. My only complaint is the OG logo as the secondary, as it looks very traditional and not 90s. Maybe thicken the lines? 

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the 1998 new designs from Nike for the USFL, but decided to do something a bit odd, looking at the early 2000's.  First I thought Tampa, but then decided that Houston needed to go a new direction.

Tell me what you think of this jersey for the Houston Gamblers, based on designs common to western shirt embroidery.  

spacer.png

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • WOAH 1

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

Working on the 1998 new designs from Nike for the USFL, but decided to do something a bit odd, looking at the early 2000's.  First I thought Tampa, but then decided that Houston needed to go a new direction.

Tell me what you think of this jersey for the Houston Gamblers, based on designs common to western shirt embroidery.  

spacer.png

I love it.  This could work very well as a black shoulder yoke for a white or red jersey as well as this western style shirt often has a different color for the shoulders. 

Gearing up to complete the NIKE design changes for 3 clubs in 1998.   Not going to reveal much yet, except to say that the age of BFBS, of side panels, yokes, and the move away from sleeve stripes is in full effect.  Some NFL Europe influence, some XFL influence, and some late 90's NFL influence.  I can also tell you that one of these teams will get a brand new logo, one will get a significantly modified logo, and two will officially get a secondary logo for the first time in club history.  Two Atlantic clubs and one from the South. 

Baltimore Blitz

Washington Federals

Memphis Showboats

• Like 3

A quick poll for you all:  WHich of these teams do you think would absolutely upgrade, update, or swap out their 1980's logo at some point if they existed into the 2000's?  And which would be too "iconic" to ever change?

Pittsburgh Maulers

Jacksonville Bulls

LA Express

Oakland Invaders

Tampa Bay Bandits

Memphis Showboats

Philadelphia Stars

Birmingham Stallions

Arizona Wranglers

Just pondering who to do minor tweaks to and who to overhaul as I get close to the 2000's in my alt history.