USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

The Washington Federals just cannot decide on a new logo.  They don't want to look too much like the Eagles, but they have 15 seasons with a green & black color scheme.  They are down to their Top 6  Finalists.  One of these will be the new look of the Feds in 1998.  But which one?  

Anyone want to take a guess as to which one I am opting to go with in 1998?   Of course understanding that they may change logos again in 2003, 2011, 2019, etc.  At least I can guarantee they will never be called the Commanders.  

spacer.png

And yes, two of these are based on real teams (upper left is SLC Screaming Eagles from indoor football and bottom left is a reworking of the UFL's Hartford Colonials), the rest take inspiration from a wide range of eagle-based logos around the web.  

• Like 4

On 2/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, WideRight said:

My question for you is, which feels more 1998 to you?  Not better, just more typical of the late 1990's.   

The first of the two logos would not have been out of place in 1998. Compare it to the logos that teams such as the Jacksonville Jaguars and Philadelphia Eagles were using in the late 1990s.

In fact, I'd argue that the second of your Washington Federals modernizations doesn't represent enough of an evolution from the real-world franchise's original early 1980s logo or your late 1980s update.   

On 2/26/2022 at 1:40 PM, WideRight said:

The Washington Federals just cannot decide on a new logo.  They don't want to look too much like the Eagles, but they have 15 seasons with a green & black color scheme.  They are down to their Top 6  Finalists.  One of these will be the new look of the Feds in 1998.  But which one?  

Anyone want to take a guess as to which one I am opting to go with in 1998?

spacer.png

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what your Washington Federals will adopt as their primary mark in 1998.

That said, the mark in the middle row of the right column strikes me as being - hands down - the best of the logos on display here. Further, I think it represents the logo that an actual Washington Federals franchise would have ultimately settled upon circa 2011 or 2019. I love the way that it pays homage to the flavor of the team's original mark, while simultaneously embracing modern design principals and evoking a timelessly classic aesthetic. The eagle head-and-wing element, as well as said element in combination with the stylized F, make for terrific secondary marks... either one of which could be used as a helmet logo. 

I also find your reworking of the Hartford Colonials' primary mark (lower left) to be a handsome - and far less cluttered - improvement over what the Connecticut-based United Football League team actually trotted out.  

Terrific work, as always!

20 hours ago, WideRight said:

So I have to ask, do folks not like the Upper right or middle left, or is it that they are not seen as good transitions from the first two logos the Feds have had?   I ask because I was seriously considering both for 1998. 

I'm not a fan of either the upper left or upper right logos.

While I understand what the upper left logo is trying to achieve, I ultimately find it to be the least visually appealing of the design solutions you've opted to try.

As for the upper right logo, it strikes me as being a fussier, busier, less effective attempt at achieving what the middle left mark accomplishes. I find the middle left mark's bold simplicity preferable to the outline, gradient star, and stylized 'W' body on display in the upper right logo. 

That said, I'll reiterate that - in my opinion - the middle right mark is the best of these logos... and by a wide margin.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, WideRight said:

Anyone want to take a guess as to which one I am opting to go with in 1998?   Of course understanding that they may change logos again in 2003, 2011, 2019, etc.  At least I can guarantee they will never be called the Commanders.  

spacer.png

And yes, two of these are based on real teams (upper left is SLC Screaming Eagles from indoor football and bottom left is a reworking of the UFL's Hartford Colonials), the rest take inspiration from a wide range of eagle-based logos around the web.  

Little more than inspiration on some of those...

I'd say don't use that one. 
Ey4oGnEXEAEgVl_?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 1

OK, I could not wait any longer.  Here is what the 1998 Federals will be wearing.   I altered the middle right logo  a bit, and used a different font, because I think the original version was a bit too 2010's and not 1990's enough.  It may evolve into that later form over time, or we might go another path.  

And just a word about the designs.  I often borrow heavily from a design I find online. When I do that I do all I can to reach out to the creator and get permission (like I did with Fraser Davidson on the Denver logo).  In other cases it is not possible to find the creator and if that is the case I try to cite where I saw the original.  In other cases several different logos may be blended together to create an amalgam.  In those cases I am less likely to credit the original artists, but will if I feel a major portion of their design is the base for mine.  

In this case, the image for the new logo comes from about 4 different designs, including elements of the original Federals IRL logo.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11