USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

15 minutes ago, Kooky01 said:

Surprised Denver did nothing to commerate Columbine like the other Denver teams but maybe that got butterflied too. 

Yeah, I am not tracking every possible issue or event that could lead a team to do a patch, but 9/11 seems too big to ignore.  

• Like 3

Hi all, the USFL in 2000, leading up to the 2000 Summer Bowl, has released the logo for the 2001 Summer Bowl in Chicago.  As with many of the designs I am working on, this is a repurposed logo,  a modification of the standard logo for the Sears/Willis Tower, with added text and a sun (for summer, of course) in team colors (Maroon/Sky).   As with several other logos, the emphasis is on the city and not football itself.  The 2000 logo was very football heavy (goalpost, footballs as zeroes in 2000), but 2001 is more about Chicago than the sport.  It tends to alternate between a very location-heavy and very football-heavy logo.  I can also tell you that the Summer Bowls upcoming will be in  Pittsburgh (2002), Seattle (2003), Orlando (2004), Houston (2005), Philadelphia (2006) and Jacksonville (2007).

spacer.png

• Like 8

9 hours ago, WideRight said:

Hi all, the USFL in 2000, leading up to the 2000 Summer Bowl, has released the logo for the 2001 Summer Bowl in Chicago.  As with many of the designs I am working on, this is a repurposed logo,  a modification of the standard logo for the Sears/Willis Tower, with added text and a sun (for summer, of course) in team colors (Maroon/Sky).   As with several other logos, the emphasis is on the city and not football itself.  The 2000 logo was very football heavy (goalpost, footballs as zeroes in 2000), but 2001 is more about Chicago than the sport.  It tends to alternate between a very location-heavy and very football-heavy logo.  I can also tell you that the Summer Bowls upcoming will be in  Pittsburgh (2002), Seattle (2003), Orlando (2004), Houston (2005), Philadelphia (2006) and Jacksonville (2007).

spacer.png

Uh, i noticed a pattern that the four divisions host on a roational basis and Jacksonville 2007 appears to disrupt that since a West team hosted in 03 and shouldn't a West team host in 07 and Jacksonville in 08? Sick summer bowl logo BTW.

xFUdNmt.png

2002 will mark the 20th season of my USFL Alt History.  Of the 12 original franchises only 1 retains the same exact color scheme and helmet logo from the original 1983 designs.  There are more teams with unchanged colors/helmets once we get into the 1984, 1987, and 1995 expansions, but from the original 12 clubs only 1 remains largely unchanged. 

Can you name it?  

(Hint, it is a trick question.  Their entire look is not identical, but the colors and helmet logo are the originals.)

On 9/2/2022 at 6:37 PM, Kooky01 said:

Uh, i noticed a pattern that the four divisions host on a roational basis and Jacksonville 2007 appears to disrupt that since a West team hosted in 03 and shouldn't a West team host in 07 and Jacksonville in 08? Sick summer bowl logo BTW.

The Bulls get moved up in the rotation as part of a deal to get them a new stadium, otherwise it will remain a divisional rotation. 

20 minutes ago, WideRight said:

2002 will mark the 20th season of my USFL Alt History.  Of the 12 original franchises only 1 retains the same exact color scheme and helmet logo from the original 1983 designs.  There are more teams with unchanged colors/helmets once we get into the 1984, 1987, and 1995 expansions, but from the original 12 clubs only 1 remains largely unchanged. 

Can you name it?  

(Hint, it is a trick question.  Their entire look is not identical, but the colors and helmet logo are the originals.)

I believe it's the Wranglers?

the user formerly known as cdclt

57 minutes ago, ralphz said:

Houston? 

Wranglers just got updated this past year, so they are no longer using the original logo.   Houston is a 1984 expansion club, so while they do use the same logo as in 1984, they are not one of the original 12. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

Wranglers just got updated this past year, so they are no longer using the original logo.   Houston is a 1984 expansion club, so while they do use the same logo as in 1984, they are not one of the original 12. 

Second guess is the Invaders.

the user formerly known as cdclt

21 hours ago, WideRight said:

Can you name it?  

I'm saying the Baltimore (formerly Chicago) Blitz as the sole team among the original twelve that's never changed its logo/colors

On 9/6/2022 at 9:09 PM, Kooky01 said:

Is it the Blitz?

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.   The Blitz got a new secondary logo and their striping is different but they still use the original logo from the Chicago Blitz.  Why?  Because despite many efforts I have not been able to develop something different that I actually like.   

This weekend I will see if I can post a sheet with all 24 logos (2002 Season) on it. 

• Like 1

Baltimore update. 

I have tried various options, including the Birmingham Bolts logo, and while I like the B in the Bolts logo, the rest just does not work.  Without changing the Blitz's color scheme the helmet just looks like a Union Jack.  I have tried out about 50 different B logos, and I think this one is the one that will  stick, at least for a while.  I like the simplicity of it.  

So, quite possibly, here is what Baltimore will wear in 2003.  They may revert to a retro "Blitz" text logo later on, but I at least wanted them to try something new for a while. 

spacer.png

And the helmet, all striping gone. 

spacer.png

And yes, that is an element of the LA Chargers new font in the "Baltimore" wordmark.  I also darkened both the red and the blue, because this is the early 2000's and darkening colors was all the rage. 

• Like 7