Jump to content

USFL Tweaks


WideRight
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

Hey all,

 

Looking ahead at the three teams who will get new looks for the 1991 USFL season.  We have the New Orleans Breakers, the Oakland Invaders, and the Arizona Wranglers.   These are three looks I really like already, so I am not thinking of major changes to logos, but perhaps some design tweaks.

 

What would you do to improve the look of these three teams?

 

I am using slightly tweaked versions of the 1994 Wranglers, and 95 Breakers and Invaders as the baseline. 

Maybe:

* Blue pants (dark blue?) for the Breakers

* Simplified sleeve stripes for the Invaders

* Copper jersey highlights for the Wranglers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rjrrzube said:

Maybe:

* Blue pants (dark blue?) for the Breakers

* Simplified sleeve stripes for the Invaders

* Copper jersey highlights for the Wranglers 

I would try Honolulu Blue pants and gray socks for the Breakers.

For Oakland, I still think they need a color scheme that doesn't remind former Raider fans too much of a certain team from San Diego.

I understand the Wrangler colors come from the AZ state flag. Are you saving teal for an expansion team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Invaders should get the first Teal. As for the Wranglers and Breakers. Perfect forever. Why would they need changed other than maybe light blue pants on the road for the Breakers. I think Silver is best

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more feedback question for the site.    Within the next couple of seasons St. Louis will be getting a USFL franchise.   In keeping with the overall designi plan I have for the "alternate" USFL, the new team will use a design similar to either a WLAF/NFL Europe, CFL-USA, or Arena Football design from the same time period (modified, of course).   So, which of these team identities do you see as the best option to modify for a St. Louis franchise?

 

Frankfurt Galaxy

NY/NJ Knights

San Antonio Riders

Sacramento Surge

Memphis Mad Dogs

London Monarchs

 

I will likely alter either the colors or the logo itself, but the goal is to create a look that is period-appropriate and clearly linked to a  "real world" team of the period. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 7:42 AM, WideRight said:

Hey all,

 

Looking ahead at the three teams who will get new looks for the 1991 USFL season.  We have the New Orleans Breakers, the Oakland Invaders, and the Arizona Wranglers.   These are three looks I really like already, so I am not thinking of major changes to logos, but perhaps some design tweaks.

 

What would you do to improve the look of these three teams?

 

I am using slightly tweaked versions of the 1994 Wranglers, and 95 Breakers and Invaders as the baseline.  

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 On the Invaders, I would use a golden yellow instead of lemon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

One more feedback question for the site.    Within the next couple of seasons St. Louis will be getting a USFL franchise.   In keeping with the overall designi plan I have for the "alternate" USFL, the new team will use a design similar to either a WLAF/NFL Europe, CFL-USA, or Arena Football design from the same time period (modified, of course).   So, which of these team identities do you see as the best option to modify for a St. Louis franchise?

 

Frankfurt Galaxy

NY/NJ Knights

San Antonio Riders

Sacramento Surge

Memphis Mad Dogs

London Monarchs

 

I will likely alter either the colors or the logo itself, but the goal is to create a look that is period-appropriate and clearly linked to a  "real world" team of the period. 

 

I'd save the Riders for a team in Austin, or for an NFL team in Houston if the Oilers leave.

 

St. Louis Knights would be good. The King Louis IX statue that the MLB Browns had in their logo was the city's icon before the Gateway Arch. That could be a good secondary logo to go with the chess piece.

 

Monarchs for King Louis IX would also be good. If St. Louis ends up being the Knights, the Monarchs' branding could go to Charlotte or Cincinnati.

 

Galaxy I'd save for Los Angeles or Orlando. Maybe New Mexico for the Roswell legend or Las Vegas for Area 51?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 8:52 PM, mkg74 said:

The Invaders should get the first Teal. As for the Wranglers and Breakers. Perfect forever. Why would they need changed other than maybe light blue pants on the road for the Breakers. I think Silver is best

 

No, teal would not look good for that team. I rather keep them where he has them as. Collegiate blue looks fine with me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2021 at 11:44 AM, neo_prankster said:

St. Louis Knights would be good. The King Louis IX statue that the MLB Browns had in their logo was the city's icon before the Gateway Arch. That could be a good secondary logo to go with the chess piece.

 

Monarchs for King Louis IX would also be good. If St. Louis ends up being the Knights, the Monarchs' branding could go to Charlotte or Cincinnati.

 

 

 

Knights or Monarchs for STL sounds good to me and I think chess piece and crown logos could work together regardless of the name, or the monarchs branding could add a king piece as a secondary logo. I also think a purple and gold scheme would add a unique color palette to the lineup and work for either name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2021 at 12:54 PM, qckgnc said:

 

 

Knights or Monarchs for STL sounds good to me and I think chess piece and crown logos could work together regardless of the name, or the monarchs branding could add a king piece as a secondary logo. I also think a purple and gold scheme would add a unique color palette to the lineup and work for either name.

 

I was thinking something similar, blending a WLAF name like Knights or Monarchs with the purple and gold color scheme used by the failed NFL expansion St. Louis Stallions concept.  Could work well with either name.  

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, Silver_Star said:

 

No, teal would not look good for that team. I rather keep them where he has them as. Collegiate blue looks fine with me.

Why not? It would basically be the Jacksonvillle Jaguars in the early eighties. Except a lighter gold and Navy Blue replaces Black. But the Invaders Navy Blue almost looked black anyways.  And most importantly it would get them away from the Chargers comparisons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, 4 Concepts for St. Louis, all using purple and either gold or athletic gold.  One uses silver as well, and I do use 2 different purples, depending on the design.   So we have the Knights, Monarchs, Surge and Mad Dogs all as options. 

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2021 at 10:42 AM, WideRight said:

 

I was thinking something similar, blending a WLAF name like Knights or Monarchs with the purple and gold color scheme used by the failed NFL expansion St. Louis Stallions concept.  Could work well with either name.  

spacer.png

Any plan on altering the Baltimore stallions to this logo? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, WideRight said:

OK, 4 Concepts for St. Louis, all using purple and either gold or athletic gold.  One uses silver as well, and I do use 2 different purples, depending on the design.   So we have the Knights, Monarchs, Surge and Mad Dogs all as options. 

 

spacer.png

 

IMO, Knights or Monarchs and the other two names don't make it past the concept phase (in universe). Maybe the team can let the fans vote on a name since they are so similar and it could honestly go either way. 

 

I will say that the Knights stick out a little more just for the use of silver but I also believe the Monarchs could work with the same helmet so I'm still stuck on which name should win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2021 at 5:56 PM, WideRight said:

OK, 4 Concepts for St. Louis, all using purple and either gold or athletic gold.  One uses silver as well, and I do use 2 different purples, depending on the design.   So we have the Knights, Monarchs, Surge and Mad Dogs all as options. 

 

spacer.png


The Knights helmet is the only one that stands out more honestly.... Silver works with Athletic Gold and Purple... everything else is like, nah, biased towards actual Monarchs so i'm loyal to the original design and :censored: no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.