1 hour ago, NicDB said:

My only nitpick is go all in with the gold and make that the front number.

Otherwise, this is 100 percent what I wish they would have done.

That's an easy fix:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think I may prefer the contrasting front numbers, but this still looks nice.

I also decided to try the design with a white front paneled cap:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the cap logo might pop a bit better against a white background. Thoughts?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks!

Up today is my tweak of the Brewers set which was unveiled yesterday:

BREWERS:

spacer.png

All in all I like what Nike did with Milwaukee, but I can't help but find the set a bit half baked. The first change I knew I had to make was was POWDER. BLUE. PANTS. It blows my mind that, given the number of teams to jump back on the powder blue bandwagon over the past few years, the Brewers of all teams have held out. This was the perfect opportunity to recommit to it and they still blew it.

The next big change was the cap design. Based on countless comments I've read both on this forum and on Twitter, everyone seems to dislike the cap. (I saw a fair number of Brewers fans suggest putting the baseball grill logo on the cap, but I tried that and it just doesn't work.) Personally, I appreciate what Nike was trying to do here, but I don't think the execution works, so I decided to scrap the MKE/44 altogether and, inspired by this fashion cap I came across online, come up with a new design that combines the BiG logo with the People's Flag of Milwaukee.

Here's a closer look at the cap logo:

spacer.png

I also modified the team's current barrel style numbers to match the "Brew Crew" script--gold with navy drop shadows. I added front numbers because I think they help balance the design and bring it in line with their other jerseys. I was initially annoyed by the lack of navy piping on the sleeves, but after reading that it's supposed to resemble foamy beer, I was OK with it. And given that explanation, it made no sense to keep the single stripe of gold on the collar. The baseball grill on the sleeve remains goes untouched because it's easily the single best thing about the entire design. 

I also worked up a version of the uniform in colors truer to the People's Flag:

spacer.png

It's definitely more distinctive than powder blue, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't make people's retinas detach on the field. 

Let me know what you think! I hope I did your team proud, @NicDB

Overall, I like the changes you made to the Brewers City Connect—especially the number font and powder blue pants. 

As a Brewers fan, the City uniforms were fine but there was just nothing that really screams Milwaukee to me (Nothing against your concept, but I can’t stand the City of Milwaukee flag and think it’s incredibly overplayed). 

These are some ideas that I had to make the uniforms more “Milwaukee”—would be interested to see if you could work with any of them!

-Find a way to utilize the barley leaf somewhere in the design. This to me was the biggest miss 

-Use the font from the Summerfest marquee for the script on the front of the uniform

-Subtle brick pattern on the numbers OR use a barrel pattern (imo, the Barrelman logo is criminally underused) 

-Use the face/outline of the Allen-Bradley clock tower as a frame for the cap logo or sleeve logo (This might make things a little cluttered, but it’s such an iconic part of the Milwaukee skyline).

Keep up the great work! Really glad I found this series. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EBrooks said:

Overall, I like the changes you made to the Brewers City Connect—especially the number font and powder blue pants. 

As a Brewers fan, the City uniforms were fine but there was just nothing that really screams Milwaukee to me (Nothing against your concept, but I can’t stand the City of Milwaukee flag and think it’s incredibly overplayed). 

These are some ideas that I had to make the uniforms more “Milwaukee”—would be interested to see if you could work with any of them!

-Find a way to utilize the barley leaf somewhere in the design. This to me was the biggest miss 

-Use the font from the Summerfest marquee for the script on the front of the uniform

-Subtle brick pattern on the numbers OR use a barrel pattern (imo, the Barrelman logo is criminally underused) 

-Use the face/outline of the Allen-Bradley clock tower as a frame for the cap logo or sleeve logo (This might make things a little cluttered, but it’s such an iconic part of the Milwaukee skyline).

Good suggestions! I’m already starting to form some ideas on how to implement them, but I’m having trouble finding a reference photo for the Summerfest marquee. Which sign are you referring to?

On 6/19/2022 at 9:42 AM, EBrooks said:

spacer.png

Thanks! I've already found a font that matches that one pretty closely. I'll get working on your ideas soon. 

22 hours ago, Coiler said:

The Brewers look very gimmicky, in a good way.

Good. That's the idea. :wink2:

Today I have another Giants concept:

GIANTS (Discrim recreation): 
spacer.png

It hit me that @Discrim nailed what a Giants City Connect uniform should look like a full six years before Nike crapped out their "fog" design last season. This is merely my humble attempt to recreate that concept. Discrim's design incorporates most of the iconography I think of when I think of San Francisco: the Golden Gate Bridge, trolley cars (which I poached from the Warriors' uniforms) and "The City" nickname, done in the Giants' typeface. The only changes I made were to basically combine his home and road design into one and replace orange with international orange of the Golden Gate Bridge. 

I don't think I can come up with something better than this for the Giants, so why try to improve on perfection?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (Giants x Discrim 6/20)
55 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! I've already found a font that matches that one pretty closely. I'll get working on your ideas soon. 

Good. That's the idea. :wink2:

Today I have another Giants concept:

GIANTS (Discrim recreation): 
spacer.png

It hit me that @Discrim nailed the idea of what a Giants City Connect uniform should look like six years before Nike crapped out their "fog" design last season. This is merely my humble attempt to recreate that concept. Discrim's design incorporates most of the iconography I think of when I think of San Francisco: the Golden Gate Bridge, trolley cars (which I poached from the Warriors' uniforms) and "The City" nickname, done in the Giants' typeface. The only changes I made were to basically combine his home and road design into one and replace orange with international orange of the Golden Gate Bridge. 

I don't think I can come up with something better than this for the Giants, so why try to improve on perfection?

So I'm a sucker for inter city synergy with teams uniforms and I love how borrowed elements from the GSW uniforms and brought them to this uniform. I'd be interested in seeing this a step further and how this uniform would look with some colors closer to GSW as well

ZUH86xc.png

On 6/18/2022 at 4:20 PM, EBrooks said:

Ok, so here's what I came up with:

BREWERS (@EBrooks's version):

spacer.png

- New "Brew Crew" script resembling the Summerfest marquee (I used a font called Happy Time)

- Subtle brick pattern added to the numbers

- Barley/wheat pattern added to the sleeves, pants & socks courtesy of @MJD7 and his 2017 MLB Redesign Series

- Allen-Bradley clockface cap logo with the Brewers' block "M" at the center. Here's a closer look at that logo:

spacer.png

Let me know what you think!

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (Brewers update 6/21)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, NicDB said:

I like the bricks on the numbers. But other than that, I still like your first tweak the best.

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think this newest version has too much going on. 

Up today are the Padres!

PADRES:

spacer.png

Very minor tweaks for the Friars, as I really love what they did with their set. I made the bill of the cap pink for better color balance and modified the back numbers to match the script--bicolor with a yellow drop shadow.  

I also worked up a fauxback design:

PADRES 1979:
spacer.png

The Padres' 1979 raglan-sleeved look lent itself well to a design with contrasting colored sleeves. Everything else is pretty straightforward. No drop shadows, as that wouldn't be very 1970s-80s-ish. 

Next, for the more traditional-minded uni fans, here's the Padres set in more conservative colors:

PADRES (in blue):
spacer.png

This one's a simple color swap of the City Connect's seafoam green and pink for the navy and ocean blue from the Padres' 2004-11 look, while keeping athletic gold instead of sand. 

Lastly, here's a mashup of sorts--the Marlins in the style of the Padres' City Connect design:

MARLINS x PADRES CITY CONNECT:
spacer.png

Many have (probably correctly) observed that the Pads' City Connect colors feel more Miami than they do San Diego, so that's what I did here. I kept the basic design of San Diego's set but replaced the Friars' scripts, logos and numbers with Miami's. I also traded yellow for black since the Marlins apparently always need to incorporate black into anything they wear. And with palm trees also being prevalent in Miami, I didn't need to change the sock design at all!

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (Padres & Marlins x Padres 7/3)
1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Up today are the Padres!

PADRES:

spacer.png

Very minor tweaks for the Friars, as I really love what they did with their set. I made the bill of the cap pink for color balance sake and modified the back numbers to match the script--bicolor with a yellow drop shadow.  

PADRES 1979:
spacer.png

The Padres' 1979 raglan-sleeved look lent itself well to a design with contrasting colored sleeves. Everything else is pretty straightforward. No drop shadows, as that wouldn't be very 1970s/80s-ish. 

Next, for the more traditional-minded uni fans, here's the Padres set in more conservative colors:

PADRES (in blue):
spacer.png

This one's a simple color swap of the City Connect's seafoam green and pink for the navy and ocean blue from the Padres' 2004-11 look (while keeping athletic gold instead of sand). 

Lastly, here's a mashup of sorts--the Marlins in the style of the Padres' City Connect design:

MARLINS x PADRES CITY CONNECT:
spacer.png

Many have (probably correctly) observed that the Pads' City Connect colors feel more Miami than they do San Diego, so that's what I did here. I kept the basic design of San Diego's set but replaced the Friars' scripts, logos and numbers with Miami's. I also swapped out yellow for black since the Marlins apparently always need to incorporate black in anything they wear. And with palm trees also being prevalent in Miami, I didn't need to change the sock design at all!

The Padres fauxback looks amazing. I Miami design is great as well. I think the only reason they didn't do that is that it seemed like the obvious choice and wanted to really make a splash (which was the right choice as the marlins have one of the best city connect jerseys). I wouldn't be surprised though if they do another round of city connect jerseys is that we see something like this

ZUH86xc.png

7 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Up today are the Padres!

PADRES:

spacer.png

Very minor tweaks for the Friars, as I really love what they did with their set. I made the bill of the cap pink for better color balance and modified the back numbers to match the script--bicolor with a yellow drop shadow.  

PADRES 1979:
spacer.png

The Padres' 1979 raglan-sleeved look lent itself well to a design with contrasting colored sleeves. Everything else is pretty straightforward. No drop shadows, as that wouldn't be very 1970s-80s-ish. 

Many have (probably correctly) observed that the Pads' City Connect colors feel more Miami than they do San Diego, so that's what I did here.

Use the 1979 cap and the white shoes on the tweaked uniform for better colour balance for the pink and green, and also because it's a white panelled hat and white shoes and those do look good. I think changing the belt to either gold or white would help too.

Also, pink and green are totally San Diego colours, the new NWSL team has gone for those colours too.
spacer.png

13 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Use the 1979 cap and the white shoes on the tweaked uniform for better colour balance for the pink and green, and also because it's a white panelled hat and white shoes and those do look good. I think changing the belt to either gold or white would help too.

Good suggestions. The white belt didn't look good, but gold works nicely:

spacer.png

14 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Also, pink and green are totally San Diego colours, the new NWSL team has gone for those colours too.
spacer.png

Yeah, I've seen some people point this out. This actually inspired me to try the Padres' set in Wave colors (minus navy):

PADRES (WAVE COLORS):

spacer.png

And here's a version that uses navy:

spacer.png

Let me know what you think!

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 4:59 PM, coco1997 said:

City Connect is back, and so am I!

WASHINGTON NATIONALS:

spacer.png

Washington unveiled their City Connect set this morning and I  have some thoughts:

What I like:

1. The color scheme

2. The cherry blossom theme

3. The cap logo/design

4. The D.C. flag

What I don't like:

1. "WSH" on the front of the jersey

2. The off-white pants

3. Lack of piping/trim 

To address my issues with the set, I made a few changes. First, I went with matching slate gray pants to go along with the jersey, which in turn meant pink undersleeves and socks. Next, I used a font called "Grand Gibson" to create a "District" wordmark in the style of the Homestead Grays. (To my knowledge we haven't seen the back of the jerseys yet, so I just used the same font for the numbers.) Lastly, as much as I like the use of the D.C. flag, I don't like that it looks like it's just kind of floating there on the left sleeve, so I decided to incorporate the flag into the actual sleeve design, with two thick pink stripes and three stars facing outward. 

C&C appreciated! 

This is definitely better than the current one. "The District" looks and sounds better than "WSH". The flag sleeves are a nice touch too.