The Most Boring Team in Pro Sports

DG_ThenNowForever

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Men should never hit women. In fact, men should never hit men! No one should ever hit anybody! We're better than that!"

"Look, if someone throws a beer cup at you, you can kill them. These are the rules." 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wasn't watching much NBA then, but that was also a point in my life when I didn't have enough money or knowhow on how to watch games other ways.

The post-Shaq/Kobe Lakers and pre LeBron to Miami period was rough for the NBA. The league really could have benefitted from the 7 Seconds or Less Suns actually winning something, but instead we had a half decade of Spurs, Pistons, and the Dwayne Wade foul Finals.

The Celtics "dynasty" and Kobe winning a title really turned the league around. I personally have nothing against the Duncan/Manu/Parker Spurs (and think they were actually at their best in the 2010s), but I get why others wanted something different.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This was the most exciting moment from that period:

spacer.png

Artest was 100% justified in going after the guy who threw a beer on him.

That is the face of a man who didn’t experience consequences until that moment. Even in that terrible resolution, you can tell he’s needing a new pair of pants. 

9 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

That is the face of a man who didn’t experience consequences until that moment. Even in that terrible resolution, you can tell he’s needing a new pair of pants. 

and he wasn't even the one who threw the cup. It was actually the guy wearing the hat. 

Artestpunchoffaninbrawl.PNG

XM4KeeA.png

Thinking more about this question in the "Special MLS Division" of it. And the winner has to be shared between Colorado Rapids and Real Salt Lake, for me. Ostensibly a Rocky Mountain derby rivalry, but I just realized I read about Pablo Mastroeni being interim coach for RSL, thought "wasn't he their coach already before?", and realizing no, that was Colorado.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, Digby said:

Thinking more about this question in the "Special MLS Division" of it. And the winner has to be shared between Colorado Rapids and Real Salt Lake, for me. Ostensibly a Rocky Mountain derby rivalry, but I just realized I read about Pablo Mastroeni being interim coach for RSL, thought "wasn't he their coach already before?", and realizing no, that was Colorado.

The only thing I could've told you about RSL (besides the fact that everyone agrees their name is the dumbest of all the Euro-styles in MLS) off the top of my head was Nick Rimando.  Thinking about it for another 10 seconds led me to Kyle Beckermann and that weird like 3-4 year stretch where RSL were perennial contenders and always seemed to be in the mix in the MLS.  That also coincided with the time of my life when I was most interested in MLS so that's probably why I can remember those names and that era.

Colorado, on the other hand, hasn't even had any players of the stature of Rimando or Beckermann and hasn't been competitive for a while if I'm correct.  I think they take the cake for me.

spacer.png

I changed my mind again, maybe it's Vancouver Whitecaps. The problem with this question is that the right answers just slip your mind, because they're the right answers. But Vancouver has the most boring color scheme in sports, jerseys that do not appreciably change on the usual MLS cycle, have been severely mediocre their entire MLS life, and most crucially -- the forgotten third wheel of the Cascadia rivalries, that as far as I can tell the other two don't take seriously with them. Real "middle child" syndrome.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 6:21 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Outside of John Rocker, I can't remember a single Atlanta Braves moment, and that includes their 1995 World Series win.

Memorable Atlanta Braves moments:

If we just consider the period of their dominance:

3. Deion Sanders hitting a home run for the Braves and scoring a touchdown for the Falcons in the same week in 1989.

[Edit: Welp, that'll teach me to go from memory rather than looking things up. Deion didn't join the Braves until 1991. His 1989 home run / touchdown feat came while he was a Yankee. So I will substitute Lonnie Smith not scoring on Terry Pendleton's double in game 7 of the 1991 World Series.]

2. Andruw Jones hitting home runs in his first two World Series at-bats in the last World Series that I saw, becoming the second player ever to do that (the first one having been Gene Tenace, in the first World Series game that I saw).

1. Francisco Cabrera driving in Sid Bream for the pennant-winning run in 1991. (Though that was more of a gigantic Jim Leyland goof, leaving Doug Drabek in to go for a meaningless complete game, and waiting until there were bases loaded with no outs to call on his closer Stan Belinda.)

From earlier times:

5. Terry Forster's 1985 confrontation of David Letterman, who had labelled Forster "a fat tub of goo".

4. Phil Niekro returning to the Braves for one final start at the end of the 1987 season.

3. Jim Bouton's comeback to the Majors in 1978 at age 39, after having last pitched in the Majors in 1971.  Bouton won only one game in five starts, but it was a good one. After he was knocked around for six runs against the Dodgers in his first start, several Giants players complained about the Braves' use of Bouton in September in a pennant race. So in his next start he beat the Giants.

2. The 13-0 start to the 1982 season.

1. Rick Camp homering improbably in the bottom of the 18th to tie a 1985 game against the Mets, and then coming up again the next inning as the tying run, and striking out to end the game.  (Then the planned Fourth of July fireworks went off at about 3:30am on July 5.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived