The Most Boring Team in Pro Sports

DG_ThenNowForever

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

EDIT: Jays winning their first, I always flip them in my head

let’s not discuss the repeat. Thx. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has to be the Colorado Rockies. Nothing to hate but nothing to really like either. They're just here. Their only World Series appearance in 2007 was the most uneventful in history. I can't recall a single important moment that sticks out.

There was a question a while back on the Baseball subreddit that asked "What was the most disappointing/boring World Series in history" and most said 2007.

Sacramento Kings come in 2nd. A small run in the early 2000s but haven't been interesting since. You can be a loser and still not be boring (Knicks). If not for being a part of the most controversial game in NBA history, the Kings would fall into obscurity pretty hard. 

XM4KeeA.png

There's a difference between "boring" and "irrelevant".  Bad teams in non-glamor markets are almost always going to be boring.  To even be "boring", you have to be thought of at all.  I think the Braves are a good example.  I'd almost say the Patriots from 05-19 were, but I think that was more a case of fatigue than them just being boring.  At least they had that 16-0 regular season mixed in there and played in the most exciting game in the history of North American, South American, European, Asian, African, Australian, and Antarctican pro sports (Super Bowl LII obviously).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

There's a difference between "boring" and "irrelevant".  Bad teams in non-glamor markets are almost always going to be boring.  To even be "boring", you have to be thought of at all.  I think the Braves are a good example.  I'd almost say the Patriots from 05-19 were, but I think that was more a case of fatigue than them just being boring.  At least they had that 16-0 regular season mixed in there and played in the most exciting game in the history of North American, South American, European, Asian, African, Australian, and Antarctican pro sports (Super Bowl LII obviously).

I’ll say the the patriots were far from boring. Between having the GOAT, winning the most Super Bowls during that time, 16-0 season, spygate, and deflategate. I’m sure I’m missing some other stuff. They were probably the least boring team over the past 2 decades

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I'd almost say the Patriots from 05-19 were, but I think that was more a case of fatigue than them just being boring.

I'd say it's both, and I'd extend it all the way back to 2001. Outside of that 16-0 year, watching the Patriots was like watching paint dry. The "Patriot Way" was an exercise in sucking all the joy out of what is, at the end of the day, still a game. And even at his peak, Brady was never as electric as Favre/Brees/Rodgers/Mahomes. There were never any rootable personalities, the fans were insufferable, and they stuck around well past their sell-by date. That whole run just sucked.

To be honest, the AFC as a whole was boring in the 2000s and most of the 2010s with few exceptions. Even in the years the Patriots didn't win, it was usually just Peyton or the Steelers instead (not much of an improvement).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, insert name said:

Sacramento Kings come in 2nd. A small run in the early 2000s but haven't been interesting since. You can be a loser and still not be boring (Knicks). If not for being a part of the most controversial game in NBA history, the Kings would fall into obscurity pretty hard. 

The Kings are every bit as dysfunctional as the Knicks, if not even more so, which keeps them mildly interesting even while the team sucks. The Magic and the Pacers are the real most boring teams in the NBA.

xLmjWVv.png

everything Lights Out just said about the Patriots can pretty much be said for my answer, the St. Louis Cardinals. they show up from time to time, take a huge BROWN on anything interesting in their vicinity, their fans act like pricks about it, then they disappear until it's time for their built-in rubberband AI to snap again.

oh, and their uniforms are boring "traditional" trite, too.

53Ocz8U.png

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Gone way too far into this thread to not see a single mention of the Minnesota Wild.

Yeah, this is the one. Nondescript uniforms for the better part of the last 10-15 years, a few playoff appearances and free agent signings to get people talking about them but never really showing any signs of true contention. They are the poster child of treading water. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

I'd say it's both, and I'd extend it all the way back to 2001. Outside of that 16-0 year, watching the Patriots was like watching paint dry. The "Patriot Way" was an exercise in sucking all the joy out of what is, at the end of the day, still a game. And even at his peak, Brady was never as electric as Favre/Brees/Rodgers/Mahomes. There were never any rootable personalities, the fans were insufferable, and they stuck around well past their sell-by date. That whole run just sucked.

To be honest, the AFC as a whole was boring in the 2000s and most of the 2010s with few exceptions. Even in the years the Patriots didn't win, it was usually just Peyton or the Steelers instead (not much of an improvement).

And this is why it's glorious to like the Patriots establishment when you read things like you have written.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

On 10/13/2021 at 4:26 PM, JerseyJimmy said:

everything Lights Out just said about the Patriots can pretty much be said for my answer, the St. Louis Cardinals. they show up from time to time, take a huge BROWN on anything interesting in their vicinity, their fans act like pricks about it, then they disappear until it's time for their built-in rubberband AI to snap again.

oh, and their uniforms are boring "traditional" trite, too.

The Cardinals at least have the decency to go away for a few years before the rubberband AI (great way of putting it) kicks back in. The Patriots spent almost 20 years making the NFL a worse sport to watch year after year.

Also, the uniforms are one of the Cardinals' few redeeming aspects. The Patriots wore the same ugly clownsuits the entire time Brady was there, like insult to injury. Those uniforms were to the NFL what Khrushchyovkas were to architecture.

xLmjWVv.png

I think some are misconstruing irrelevant for boring.  If you forget a team exists, that's the very definition of irrelevant; on the other hand, if you know they exist but there's nothing notable or even halfway exciting about them, THAT'S boring.  

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I think some are misconstruing irrelevant for boring.  If you forget a team exists, that's the very definition of irrelevant; on the other hand, if you know they exist but there's nothing notable or even halfway exciting about them, THAT'S boring.  

That's a good distinction. I don't think much about hockey teams, but that doesn't make them boring; they're important to someone.

Of all the sports I follow either directly or indirectly, the Braves are shockingly uninteresting especially given their success.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Braves and Cardinals have both been extremely skilled at building plug-and-play farm systems that allow them to consistently produce with anonymous players. Who's even on the Cardinals anymore? I don't know. Just wholesome dudes named Ryan, presumably.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's the Texas Rangers.

You have a team that had Nolan Ryan and A-Rod. and were owned by a future President and they barely move the needle.  Their new ballpark is more well known for the 2020 playoffs than the actual team that resides in it.  Even looking back at their two World Series losses they barely elicit a shrug.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived