Washington Wolves

Faxion

Not too long to wait now until the Washington Football Team unveil their new name and brand.

My hope is that they avoid any political or mititary themes and choose a name and identity that links to the past, while looking to the future.

I instantly warmed to 'REDWOLVES' but using 'RED' will only open the door to more controversy. This MUST be future proof, so with that in mind.

Here are the Washington Wolves...

spacer.png

Sorry, but this doesn't read as a wolf to me at all. My first thought was some kind of fantasy character, like Groot or Batman or something out of Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones that wears a crown. The W on top is clever, but I only noticed it the second time I opened this thread, and it creates a large bump on the head that is contributing to the confusion. The lack of a defined snout or nose and the ears going straight up (wolves' ears are close to going straight up, but not quite) also don't help.

I think you need to find a way to incorporate that W at the top while better conveying a wolf form. It doesn't have to be photorealistic, of course, but less abstract than what you have now.

18 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Sorry, but this doesn't read as a wolf to me at all. My first thought was some kind of fantasy character, like Groot or Batman or something out of Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones that wears a crown. The W on top is clever, but I only noticed it the second time I opened this thread, and it creates a large bump on the head that is contributing to the confusion. The lack of a defined snout or nose and the ears going straight up (wolves' ears are close to going straight up, but not quite) also don't help.

I think you need to find a way to incorporate that W at the top while better conveying a wolf form. It doesn't have to be photorealistic, of course, but less abstract than what you have now.

Agreed. I'd lengthen the snout and widen the face a little bit to get it that look. Maybe place that W within the eye brows instead of the top of the head. 

Logo Mascot Wolf Head Line Art Stock Vector (Royalty Free) 1283697193

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I understand the comments and its hard to deny that Wolverhampton Wanderers have cornered the 'Wolves' logo market.

I was avoiding the generic stock library illustration approach and hitting something more abstract to represent the team.

Here is a quick update, taking onboard the comments.

spacer.png

There would be a fan revolt if there was too much of a departure from their historical look.

The trick is going to be creating a NEW 'Football Team' brand, whilst retaining a strong link to the past. Anything less will result in a regretable expantion team feeling.

The colours have got to stay. But the way to refresh the uni would be through typography. Nothing too drastic, but if they use something like The Michigan State Jersey numbers it could work with this angular geometric Wolf icon.

And yes I understand the irony of using Michigan State numbers on a team called Wolves!

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Faxion said:

There would be a fan revolt if there was too much of a departure from their historical look.

The trick is going to be creating a NEW 'Football Team' brand, whilst retaining a strong link to the past. Anything less will result in a regretable expantion team feeling.

The colours have got to stay. But the way to refresh the uni would be through typography. Nothing too drastic, but if they use something like The Michigan State Jersey numbers it could work with this angular geometric Wolf icon.

And yes I understand the irony of using Michigan State numbers on a team called Wolves!

spacer.png

The font needs a lot of work, IMO.  You have a traditional block font.  But then you've added interior, pointed serifs pointing different directions - which wouldn't be a major issue, except - You also have added an angled/block serif, as well.  You have, at minimum, 3 different font styles going here... none of which are cohesive.  Looking at individual letters, we could probably pick out 3 or 4 different fonts.  Not only that, it seems some of the letters aren't scaled properly to each other - look at the O compared to the S.

Archived