United Plates of America (CANADA FINALE!)

TheGiantsFan

WISCONSIN

FXljmR7UYAAAcPf?format=jpg&name=4096x409

At the request of @NicDB, I eliminated the state’s longtime “America’s Dairyland” slogan to reflect Wisconsin’s urbanizing population. Inspired by the 1998 Sesquicentennial license plates, my redesign combines several Wisconsin landscapes: dairy farms, the Apostle Islands, and the Milwaukee skyline. The wordmark is inspired by an optional plate design and contains two truckles of cheese above each “I”. The serial divider is inspired by Wisconsin’s unique state highway shields and the state’s motto is found at the bottom.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (55/56 Wisconsin)
16 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

WISCONSIN

At the request of @NicDB, I eliminated the state’s longtime “America’s Dairyland” slogan to reflect Wisconsin’s urbanizing population. Inspired by the 1998 Sesquicentennial license plates, my redesign combines several Wisconsin landscapes: dairy farms, the Apostle Islands, and the Milwaukee skyline. The wordmark is inspired by an optional plate design and contains two truckles of cheese above each “I”. The serial divider is inspired by Wisconsin’s unique state highway shields and the state’s motto is found at the bottom.

Oh man... you nailed it on Wisconsin. If you told me that had been the plates for the past 30 years I wouldn't even question it. Also, not sure if that's what inspired it, but your wordmark looks remarkably like the Something Special From Wisconsin logo.

I especially love the buck staring at the skyline. #FearTheDeer

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Oh man... you nailed it on Wisconsin. If you told me that had been the plates for the past 30 years I wouldn't even question it. Also, not sure if that's what inspired it, but your wordmark looks remarkably like the Something Special From Wisconsin logo.

I especially love the buck staring at the skyline. #FearTheDeer

Thanks so much for helping out with Wisconsin, and I'm glad you liked it! :)

I'd never seen that Something Special from Wisconsin logo before, and it's such a fun coincidence! 

---

Last but not least!

WYOMING

FXpZ4iaVUAEYIcF?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My Wyoming license plate is heavily inspired by a fictional Wyoming sports logo designed by Jordan Grimes, which features colors from the Grand Prismatic Spring at Yellowstone National Park. The hot spring motif is combined with the mountain scenes featured in previous license plates, and the red border and shade of blue is taken from the state flag. The historic bucking bronco used on Wyoming plates since 1936 remains.

---

Compilations coming up a little later! :)

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (56/56 Wyoming)
On 7/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

WISCONSIN

First off, congratulations on the completion of a top tier project; truly some fantastic work.  Recreating all the renewal stickers is also a top tier detail that adds a lot to the authenticity.

While the Wisconsin highway shape is unique, the current shape is a compromise so that numbers can fit well; originally, the Wisconsin highway marker was just a downward pointing triangle:

WI19190111i1.jpg

Could be a bit cleaner to make the divider the downward pointing triangle, plus then it could look like some minimalist cheese and who doesn't love a bit more cheese?

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

10 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

First off, congratulations on the completion of a top tier project; truly some fantastic work.  Recreating all the renewal stickers is also a top tier detail that adds a lot to the authenticity.

While the Wisconsin highway shape is unique, the current shape is a compromise so that numbers can fit well; originally, the Wisconsin highway marker was just a downward pointing triangle:

WI19190111i1.jpg

Could be a bit cleaner to make the divider the downward pointing triangle, plus then it could look like some minimalist cheese and who doesn't love a bit more cheese?

The dots in the i's of the Wisconsin wordmark are already wheels of cheese. I like the use of the current shields. Especially for something traffic related.

11 hours ago, Halian said:
14 hours ago, jzn110 said:

Dude, you killed it with all of these! Well done!

Have you given any more thought to doing Canada next? I'd love to see those as well!

I think it'd be cool to do other countries as well.

Thanks so much! :)

I do have plans of making Canadian plates, but those will have to start next month (at the earliest) because I'll be busy in the coming weeks. As far as other countries are concerned, the most I might be willing to do is my homeland of the Philippines

3 hours ago, NicDB said:
13 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

WI19190111i1.jpg

The dots in the i's of the Wisconsin wordmark are already wheels of cheese. I like the use of the current shields. Especially for something traffic related.

Thanks so much!

I'm glad that someone finally caught on to the renewal stickers! I wanted to make sure that those and the serial fonts were as accurate as possible, right down to the sticker colors

I have heard of the history behind the Wisconsin state highway shields, and it does make for an interesting design. I kept the cheese to the dots on the "I" to keep the cheese references subtle :)

---

COMPILATIONS

ALABAMA - KENTUCKY

Spoiler

52216369106_c42e21a9d0_o.png

LOUISIANA - OKLAHOMA

Spoiler

52216637059_6a4803d03d_o.png

OREGON - WYOMING

Spoiler

52216637299_4b3a6b9b50_o.png

You can also read all about these plates on my Behance page!

---

It was a real pleasure to work on this series, and I'm really glad it's gotten a relatively positive reception. To get some "local" insights and suggestions about certain places, I consulted several people to help me out on this project. A HUGE shoutout to @raysox@DCarp1231@NicDB, @stumpygremlin, @CDCLT, @tBBP, and @TenaciousG for making sure these designs are as authentic as I can make them :)

---

As far as what's next, I am thinking of going through Canada's plates! That'll have to wait a month or so, though, so enjoy these 56 plates in the meantime :)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Applause 3

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (FINALE)

Oh man, I was along for the ride. Great great work consistently through this thread. The recent W states were phenomenal as always.

If you do want another idea i've wanted to forever make these unique license plates for EU countries. Have that one for free! Looking forward to Canada! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late on this, I was following along until about Puerto Rico but then life happened, so I just caught up. I'd just like to say that this is by far my favorite and one of the most impressive creative endeavors I've seen on this site in the 12 years I've been around. Truly excellent work, there isn't a single state that I don't like and each one would instantly be a fantastic primary or alternate plate. You've represented each state excellently and it's cool to see so much research and effort yield such great results.

I'm excited to see a potential Canada, Philippines and EU series. May I also suggest an African series? There would be all kinds of great imagery and history to pull from there!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

On 7/15/2022 at 11:44 AM, raysox said:

Oh man, I was along for the ride. Great great work consistently through this thread. The recent W states were phenomenal as always.

If you do want another idea i've wanted to forever make these unique license plates for EU countries. Have that one for free! Looking forward to Canada! 

Thanks so much Michael, and I'm glad you enjoyed the tail-end of the American plates! :) 

Unfortunately, I don't think European plates are on my radar as I don't have too much of a vested interest in designing for Europe (as someone who's never been there) :/ 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, Halian said:

I somehow only just noticed that Florida's tag is green on white when it should be black on yellow. ^^;

Nice catch there! I did deviate from Florida's normal stickers because of the visibility concerns about having a black-on-yellow sticker on top of a yellow background

On 8/24/2022 at 8:35 AM, JTernup said:

I'm a bit late on this, I was following along until about Puerto Rico but then life happened, so I just caught up. I'd just like to say that this is by far my favorite and one of the most impressive creative endeavors I've seen on this site in the 12 years I've been around. Truly excellent work, there isn't a single state that I don't like and each one would instantly be a fantastic primary or alternate plate. You've represented each state excellently and it's cool to see so much research and effort yield such great results.

I'm excited to see a potential Canada, Philippines and EU series. May I also suggest an African series? There would be all kinds of great imagery and history to pull from there!

I really appreciate your kind words there! I'm glad that my efforts to give each jurisdiction an accurate and appropriate plate paid off :)

As cool as an African series would be in terms of designs, I personally don't have too much of an interest in designing plates outside of North America :/ 

---

After a month-long hiatus from design work due to my move to Oregon, I'm back to start off my Canadian license plate redesigns! :)

ALBERTA

FbnuHENagAANf_c?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My Alberta design revives the jagged, retro wordmark that the province used on their license plates from 1984 to 2019. Complementing the angles of the wordmark is an abstraction of the mountains of Banff National Park, with each “peak” shaped like a map of Alberta. The provincial coat of arms serves as the serial divider.

---

I've only been to Canada twice in my lifetime, so I don't know too much about the Canadian provinces aside from what I learned in J.J. McCullough's YouTube videos.  As I've done with the American plates, I'm opening up the comments to any design suggestions for any of the remaining 12 jurisdictions in Canada :)

Looking forward to this (relatively) quick series!

• Like 7

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (ALBERTA 1/13)

BRITISH COLUMBIA

FbqyBNWakAAkx0D?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My British Columbia redesign is heavily inspired by the unique brown-on-turquoise license plate used by the province in 1960 and the province’s “hand-crafted” tourism branding. A pattern inspired by indigenous Salish art decorates the top, and the waves from the provincial flag are drawn in a similar “hand-drawn” style at the bottom.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (BRITISH COLUMBIA 2/13)
On 9/2/2022 at 11:06 AM, Halian said:

God, that looks amazing. :D I wonder what a color-reversed version would look like, since I personally find the turquoise-on-brown 1959 issue to be more striking.

Glad you like it! :)

Just for you, here's a turquoise-on-brown version of my BC plate! Frankly, it doesn't quite work as well as brown-on-turquoise in terms of the color contrast :/

Spoiler

52339461348_4aa6d89da5_o.png

---

MANITOBA

FcBXzFbaIAAbVKT?format=jpg&name=4096x409

An important symbol for Manitoba, the plains bison is once again promoted to the focal point of my license plate redesign for the province. My plate combines the left-aligned bison from the 1971-75 plates with a lower bar reminiscent of the metal registration tabs that the province used until 1970. The wavy pattern references Manitoba’s 110,000+ lakes, and the colors are taken from the University of Manitoba.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• TheGiantsFan changed the title to United Plates of America (MANITOBA 3/13)
14 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

Manitoba image isn't working for me.

The first two are incredible, but between the two BC I also prefer turquoise on brown.

I fixed the link for the Manitoba image, so hopefully it works for you now!

Hmm, I'll probably make some more tweaks for the turquoise-on-brown for legibility and color balance stuff, but it could work as an alternate plate!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 1:26 PM, TheGiantsFan said:

ALBERTA

Fbbkq19agAEjQ6o?format=jpg&name=4096x409

My Alberta design revives the jagged, retro wordmark that the province used on their license plates from 1984 to 2019. Complementing the angles of the wordmark is an abstraction of the mountains of Banff National Park, with each “peak” shaped like a map of Alberta. The provincial coat of arms serves as the serial divider.

---

I've only been to Canada twice in my lifetime, so I don't know too much about the Canadian provinces aside from what I learned in J.J. McCullough's YouTube videos.  As I've done with the American plates, I'm opening up the comments to any design suggestions for any of the remaining 12 jurisdictions in Canada :)

Looking forward to this (relatively) quick series!

Please fix the image for the Alberta plate. I don't see anything. (I tried putting this link on two different browsers and neither browser had the image above show up.)

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

Please fix the image for the Alberta plate. I don't see anything. (I tried putting this link on two different browsers and neither browser had the image above show up.)

Thanks in advance.

Sorry about that! The picture link for Alberta should be fixed now

I tend to re-upload these pics on social media and forget that the forum image is linked to the tweets I end up deleting 😬

(I know I can just upload my Flickr images to here, but the tweets usually come first)

• Like 2

I got stuck on this one pretty hard, but finally here's the next province!

---

NEW BRUNSWICK

52371007833_7291b833ef_o.png

The main inspiration behind my New Brunswick license plate is the heraldic-style flag that the province flies, with two lions on either side of the bilingual province name and the ship serving as the serial divider. A star has been added to the ship as a reference to New Brunswick’s French-speaking Acadian population. The “Picture Province” slogan used on license plates from 1958 to 1971 returns as a bilingual slogan.

Edited by TheGiantsFan
Made the province name smaller at the request of stumpygremlin
  • Like 3
  • Love 1