Green Bay Packers re-design

Gothamite

I love the color shift. But I think the jerseys need something more than a logo. Kinda look like the Walmart Packers Jerseys. Just adding some stripes like they have know, and keep the logo there (a'la 49ers) and I think that would be tight. I also have always liked their striping on the neck line.

Once again, very sharp colors. I'm assuming these would be gold metallic?

that really does look good. maybe a stripe instead of the logo or even in addition to it. i dunno. i like the yellow, but i dont know.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I swear I saw the proposed one ( or at least read its description) in the JS that year.

And I (TOTALLY) could be wrong but I was sure they proposed going back to navy blue as well........at least as one of the options.

And that the G would not have the outline anymore.........

Kinda NOtre Dame-ish.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I don't think it's too plain, myself. They were originally going to drop the helmet and pant stripes altogether, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. So I left a single stripe.

Yes, the gold is metallic. I'm still working on my gradients, and once I've got one I like I'll change the pic.

As for the sleeves, unless the players actually start to wear sleeves again I think sleeve stripes are a really bad idea. I personally hate the neck stripes and want to see them gone (why they let Forrest Gregg redesign the uniform, I'll never know).

Sterling84, this is based on the description published in the Packer Report, dated September 18, 1993. I know that renderings must exist, but I don't believe they've ever been released to the public.

Here's the full description:

Possible Color Change Outlined

There was a rumor Sunday the Packers would have a press conference concerning their uniforms colors during the week following the Eagle game. This, however, seemed certain: The Packers plan to change their uniforms next season, retaining the current dark green, but switching pants and helmets from the present yellow to metallic gold.

The Packers hope the changes will be approved by the NFL Properties by the beginning of next month so they can wear the new uniforms next season. Among other changes are the removal of stripes now on the helmet, jersey, and pants.

Packer President Bob Harlan told the Milwaukee Journal the gold was not the same as that worn by any other team and that it was selected by General Manager Ron Wolf and Coach Mike Holmgren. Harlan said the helmet would be switched from yellow to gold and have a large green "G" on each side and the jersey would have a smaller green "G" on each sleeve. The white numbers on the green home jerseys and the green numbers on the white road jerseys will also have a gold outline. The pants will be plain gold.

"Years and years ago, we wore a gold helmet and gold pants," Harlan said. "And I think that's what Ron wanted, a simpler uniform. They didn't want to look like New Orleans or the 49ers. They looked at different golds and picked out what they liked."

As for the "outline," Sterling, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I don't believe that it was ever their intention to remove the green oval from the "G" logo. I know that the oval isn't mentioned in the description, but that seems to me to be a given for two reasons - first of all, because they might dare to change the uniform but they wouldn't dare change the logo, and second, if the logo was removed "a smaller green "G" on each sleeve" of the jersey would be awfully hard to see. :P

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I could have sworn I saw that exact same jersey (only without the gold outlines on the numbers and logo) at Wal-Mart the other day. Needless to say, I would have rebelled if something like this were implemented in real life. I'm all for progress, but when the existing design is that tradition-bound and has very few flaws to begin with, it ends up being counterproductive in establishing/improving identity.

QPR%20Sig.png

Another follow-up: I also remember talk of switching back to navy blue, but I'm pretty sure that came after the following season. They wore the navy throwbacks in 1994, and would have gone to navy in 1995.

I remember radio reports at the time, but I've never seen any written documentation at all, neither descriptions nor mockups.

So what finally happened with the design? Did they ever formally pitch it to NFL Properties? Did it get rejected? Was there any follow-up on it?

I don't mind it. I do think the jersey could use something besides a logo. I like their sleeve stripes.

I would ditch the side stripe on the pants and replace it with a G logo at the hip. Also, I know that Ron Wolf had talked about Notre Dame gold, but my thought is that a Georgia Tech-like gold -- a more-yellow metallic gold, if that makes sense -- would be better. My rationale is that this would take the gold farther away from the Rams', 49ers' and Saints' metallic golds. Other than those two things, I like this change.

Packers-2.png

I could have sworn I saw that exact same jersey (only without the gold outlines on the numbers and logo) at Wal-Mart the other day.  Needless to say, I would have rebelled if something like this were implemented in real life.  I'm all for progress, but when the existing design is that tradition-bound and has very few flaws to begin with, it ends up being counterproductive in establishing/improving identity.

Keep in mind that, at the time, the Packers hadn't won anything of significance in over 20 years. Also, they had a uniform change during the Forrest Gregg era. If the Packers would've held off restoring their winning tradition, I think the Navy and metallic gold could definately have taken hold.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Agreed. Don't also forget that at the time, the Packers had won more championships in other uniforms than they did in the Lombardi uniforms. Even now, they've won exactly as many in the Lombardi unies as they did in the Lambeau-designed uniforms.

And I still want them to lose the Forrest Gregg neck stripes. If Vince didn't put it there, it doesn't belong on this Packer uniform.

This set was pitched to the NFL, gosioux76, but I am given to understand that they withdrew it before the NFL ruled.

I wouldn't put the G on the hip because then we get into some serious overbranding - it looks incredibly goofy to have the same logo run down the side of the uniform, from helmet to sleeve to hip.

Damn, am I the only guy here who doesn't want a total redesign of the Packer uniform?

I don't mind the home collar stripes. Remember, Vince had 'em on the road unis, so having 'em on the home ones is fine. But dammit, GIVE ME BACK MY SECOND SLEEVE STRIPE. That was tradition, changed in '97, and we ain't won the world championship since.

While we're at it, go back to the same double-striping on the socks, or at the VERY least, gimme back the one gold stripe on the socks, a'la the Majkowski days.

And I'd prefer to see the TV numbers back on the sleeve, just above the DOUBLE stripes, instead of up on the shoulder pads.

One more thing: move the G on the helmet back down to the middle, where it belongs. Look at the '93 highlights: you see the G in its correct position on the helmet, and things look cool. In following years, the G is 2/3 of the way up the helmet, and it looks AWFUL!

In short: PUT :censored: BACK THE WAY IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE, GODDAMMIT! Tradition!

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

I'll agree with you on the positioning of the "G." It's too high now.

I like the solid socks. The problem I have with the Packers uniforms is that they're just a little too busy. Removing the Forrest Gregg neck stripes would fix that.

For the road uniforms, we can go back to the proper Lombardi striping. The home jerseys should lose them - they're awful.

Where the heck would you put the TV numbers on the sleeves above the stripes? They didn't even have room for the entire stripe set alone, which is why they cut it down.

Yep, that's pretty close. I've seen those in person, and they're pretty sharp.

One of the modifications I made to the design was to return to the 1940s numbers, but I presume had Wolf made the change the Packers would have retained their current number set.

As a packer fan I wouldve rebelled, what they have now, especially there yellow, green, yellow is absolutely perfect. But thats just me, something could be done possibly but I think theyre perfect now

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Archived