On 7/6/2023 at 10:41 AM, dont care said:

Most? He has raced absolutely 0 races on an oval. It’s drastically different then winning a street course where everyone else on the track has never raced on anything like it.

What?

Will Power hadn't raced on oval before Indy and also never started in open wheelers but tin tops.

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

20 minutes ago, tigers said:

What?

Will Power hadn't raced on oval before Indy and also never started in open wheelers but tin tops.

And he has had 15+ years of racing on ovals since joining Indy/cart. We aren’t talking about him though, we are talking about SVG who would need to learn how to race on ovals after 20+ years racing down under. Marcos Ambrose wasn’t able to win on ovals, neither could Juan Pablo Montoya, or Sam Hornish Jr. Only person who’s come to nascar and been able win on an oval is Mario Andretti but even that was at Daytona and not a real test of skill that other ovals are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

And he has had 15+ years of racing on ovals since joining Indy/cart. We aren’t talking about him though, we are talking about SVG who would need to learn how to race on ovals after 20+ years racing down under. Marcos Ambrose wasn’t able to win on ovals, neither could Juan Pablo Montoya, or Sam Hornish Jr. Only person who’s come to nascar and been able win on an oval is Mario Andretti but even that was at Daytona and not a real test of skill that other ovals are.

JPM came pretty darn close a few times in Cup: Indy 2009 and 2010, Pocono 2009, Loudon 2009, Dover 2013...

JPM and Ambrose were both quick on the ovals at times and grabbed poles, they just didn't execute well in the race.

• Like 1

rAUPGPZ.png

I think one of the more impressive things with SVG's victory is he was switching gears the entire race with the opposite hand because he's used to using his left hand from sitting on the right side of the car.

I think SVG deserves a lot of praise on getting his first win on his first start. But, before we start crowning him as the next big thing, let's not forget that 7-time Jimmie Johnson has STRUGGLED in this new car. I understand that he's driving the third car for a team that was already a Chevy after-thought before they announced their OEM switch, but he has underachieved big time.

I'm not trying to take anything away from his win, but he had the same experience as far as the track at Chicago as everyone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicageaux said:

I think one of the more impressive things with SVG's victory is he was switching gears the entire race with the opposite hand because he's used to using his left hand from sitting on the right side of the car.

I think SVG deserves a lot of praise on getting his first win on his first start. But, before we start crowning him as the next big thing, let's not forget that 7-time Jimmie Johnson has STRUGGLED in this new car. I understand that he's driving the third car for a team that was already a Chevy after-thought before they announced their OEM switch, but he has underachieved big time.

I'm not trying to take anything away from his win, but he had the same experience at Chicago as everyone else.

Not as impressive as you are making it sound. If it was H pattern shifter sure but these are sequential shifters so it’s just pulling and throwing. Also Jimmie is well past his prime, his last 2-3 years full time are evident of that, add in 2 more seasons racing in other series isn’t helping.

38 minutes ago, dont care said:

Not as impressive as you are making it sound. If it was H pattern shifter sure but these are sequential shifters so it’s just pulling and throwing. Also Jimmie is well past his prime, his last 2-3 years full time are evident of that, add in 2 more seasons racing in other series isn’t helping.

Denny Hamlin was blown away by it and thought it was impressive, so I'll stand by my opinion.

I just wasn't expecting Jimmie to have an average finish of 35th in 3 races despite being out of his prime. Maybe he's washed up, but the car has a lot to do with it as well. It's not easy to drive as stated by numerous drivers last year.

4 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

It was a wet fart of an ending last night. Throughout the race there was a lot of a lot of good racing. It's a shame rain had to, once again, crash the party.

A few guys got best finishes of the season, and JJ Yeley got his first Top 10 in a decade.

Yea my mind is boggled that they decided to do a Sunday night race, that’s what caused most of this. Saturday night race no issues, can easily finish in the morning. Sunday night race takes that ability away completely.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Yea my mind is boggled that they decided to do a Sunday night race, that’s what caused most of this. Saturday night race no issues, can easily finish in the morning. Sunday night race takes that ability away completely.

It makes sense why they did, the summer heat and all. But, if they knew that rain was on the way; they could've at least moved up the start time by like half an hour or so.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

18 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

It makes sense why they did, the summer heat and all. But, if they knew that rain was on the way; they could've at least moved up the start time by like half an hour or so.

I just don’t know why they did it on Sunday of a non holiday weekend. Makes no sense to me. I didn’t even know it was a night race and came back from a fishing trip thinking I’d turn it on as it was starting or before the second stage ended and still had 2 hours to wait.

15 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Its difficult to move it earlier in the day in this era of TV schedules.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Its difficult to move it earlier in the day in this era of TV schedules.

At the same time, I'm kind of befuddled why they would have a race in the blistering heat of Atlanta in the middle of the summer. I'd like for them to move it to a later date like how it was in the late 2000's/early 2010's - not in the playoffs, but not too far away.

rAUPGPZ.png

19 hours ago, dont care said:

I think we're far removed from Saturday night racing because the TV networks don't see any value in them. The ratings just aren't there.

Last year, Nashville's race was scheduled for a day race and it was blistering heat. The rain came in and pushed the start time to the evening & everyone was for it. That's the main reason why both Nashville and Atlanta were night races this year.