2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

It took a mediocre, disjointed, very 90's-looking logo and turned it into a very 2000's-looking logo that is still disjointed and, somehow, more mediocre.

The Lightning's history is 90's overdesign and 2010's oversimplification with a 2000's "wtf is this" era sandwiched in between. That said, I'd take their 90's look before the Reebok Edge disaster and the current wannabe Maple Leafs yawnfest. You're a 90's expansion franchise based in Florida with a pretty badass name - it's okay not to look like a 100-plus-year-old Original Six team.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

oBIgzrL.png

1 hour ago, maz said:

It took a mediocre, disjointed, very 90's-looking logo and turned it into a very 2000's-looking logo that is still disjointed and, somehow, more mediocre.

The Lightning's history is 90's overdesign and 2010's oversimplification with a 2000's "wtf is this" era sandwiched in between. That said, I'd take their 90's look before the Reebok Edge disaster and the current wannabe Maple Leafs yawnfest. You're a 90's expansion franchise based in Florida with a pretty badass name - it's okay not to look like a 100-plus-year-old Original Six team.

Arguable points for sure.  The Lightning have never had a logo that could be considered great.  The only thing their first two logos had going for them was the colours.  I once thought their original logo could look okay if they dropped the off-kilter and wholly unnecessary "Lightning" text but that just makes it even more bland.  Maybe they should go back to the drawing board entirely and come up with something that is more than a Bolt in circle...  But they really need to bring back silver and make black more prominent. 

4 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

What was wrong with this?  Not saying it's perfect but it's miles better than what they're using. 

Oe0jFIS.jpg

I wonder how it would look on a jersey without the "Tampa Bay" lettering. I always found that unnecessary.

1 hour ago, Morgan33 said:

68d5W8W.jpg

Think I like the logo with the blue Florida on it. Adds more blue than the thin blue highlight on the lightning bolt. It would also look better with the circle being blue instead of black.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

What was wrong with this?  Not saying it's perfect but it's miles better than what they're using. 

The lettering is hideous. It splits the difference between writing out the full name and not writing the name at all, which is very awkward. The bolt is just plopped over the circle instead of coming out of it as it did on the original. Overall, just a poor update to a logo that was bad in the first place. Didn't Phil Esposito draw it on a napkin?

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The lettering is hideous. It splits the difference between writing out the full name and not writing the name at all, which is very awkward. The bolt is just plopped over the circle instead of coming out of it as it did on the original. Overall, just a poor update to a logo that was bad in the first place.

The colour scheme alone makes it an improvement over their current logo but I agree with your criticisms.  The Lightning have never had a good logo but they did have a fantastic colour scheme which is why the current identity is so frustrating.

Didn't Phil Esposito draw it on a napkin?

He did and it shows.  But again, the colour scheme still makes it an improvement over the current logo.

The only positive thing I can say about the all-star jerseys are that they are at least different colours.  Other than that, nope.  They would look okay as a shirt design, but not as a hockey jersey.

They would probably be paired up with chrome helmets, white gloves and pants.

• Like 2

I mean, I don't really mind it. It's not like people take the ASG all that seriously, anyways; may as well say :censored: it and go balls to the wall with weird design ideas if you don't have a set theme like the RR-based designs from last year.

• Like 1