2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

Now that it is March, I thought I would get this thread going since a thread for the 2023-24 NHL season has not yet been made. Obviously next season is the last for Adidas in the NHL. I have heard that the Flyers are getting new uniforms and I remember hearing somewhere that Columbus and Anaheim could be making a change next season too.

24 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

The Ducks have started selling an Adidas Team Classics version of the original eggplant jersey. Maybe it's an early hint at another Throwback Night like they did in 2013, but it could also mean nothing in particular.

This one probably means nothing in particular; Fanatics is also now selling navy Whalers jerseys and other classics too.  Perhaps having the eggplant jersey without shoulder patches in the "Team Classics" collection is a sign it isn't coming to the ice in the short-term. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

This one probably means nothing in particular; Fanatics is also now selling navy Whalers jerseys and other classics too.  Perhaps having the eggplant jersey without shoulder patches in the "Team Classics" collection is a sign it isn't coming to the ice in the short-term. 

Yeah, it's just part of a new wider collection is all.

I personally don't see the Ducks changing for next season and if any change will happen, I think it'll be more likely for the 24-25 season.

• The 30th anniversary logo for next season still uses the webbed D logo. Not that that can't be changed later and I don't know if that anniversary logo exists in physical form yet, but seems like a lot to include the webbed D logo just as a red herring of sorts.
  • 30th anniversary should bring anniversary and throwback merch. Get people to buy anniversary and throwback merch next season and then make them buy "new brand" stuff again the following season instead of splitting the 30th anniversary and "new brand" merch money pot between one season.
  • The first part of the big renos to the Honda Center area are scheduled, as of now, to open in 2024. New renovations, new brand?
  • 24-25 is when the new jersey manufacturer comes in. Next season is the last with Adidas, so why spend all this time making changes with Adidas just to have to do it again the following season?
  • Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

1 minute ago, BuckDancer said:

To be fair, both the Panthers did their big rebrand and the Penguins went back to their dynasty era set in 2016-17 right before the switch to Adidas. And the Ducks themselves did their rebrand in 2006-07 right before Reebok took over.

I also think the Buffaslug rebrand happened in the 06-07 season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BuckDancer said:

To be fair, both the Panthers did their big rebrand and the Penguins went back to their dynasty era set in 2016-17 right before the switch to Adidas. And the Ducks themselves did their rebrand in 2006-07 right before Reebok took over.

29 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I also think the Buffaslug rebrand happened in the 06-07 season.

Ah, I forgot about those.

However, I still think it would lean more towards not doing it for next season but waiting instead, especially with the other factors.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, BuckDancer said:

And the Ducks themselves did their rebrand in 2006-07 right before Reebok took over.

Well Reebok was already producing the uniforms for the NHL in 2006, they just hadn't adopted the Edge template. I feel like the Sabres & Ducks had some inside info about what the new template was going to look like before they rebranded, since neither team had to make any drastic changes. Buffalo didn't even have to switch their collars, they just added the NHL shield.

spacer.png

Yeah, it's unlikely that the Ducks were learning about Adidas dropping the league at the same time we did. Plus, the Adizero template is much more rigid than Reebok Edge was. Even if they're developing their brand to work with whoever gets the contract next, the jerseys next year will still have to adhere to the curved waist stripes and toilet bowl collars. I wouldn't be shocked if Anaheim unveiled a rebrand next year regardless of who gets the contract in 2024.

54 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Yeah, it's unlikely that the Ducks were learning about Adidas dropping the league at the same time we did. Plus, the Adizero template is much more rigid than Reebok Edge was. Even if they're developing their brand to work with whoever gets the contract next, the jerseys next year will still have to adhere to the curved waist stripes and toilet bowl collars. I wouldn't be shocked if Anaheim unveiled a rebrand next year regardless of who gets the contract in 2024.

So they wear the current jerseys next year...and then the new brand begins with the new supplier and new template. Why would the new brand  that's hypothetically released in Summer of 2024 need to adhere to 2023/24 jerseys? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Any info on what the Flyers change is going to be? Obviously the logo and colors aren’t going anywhere, but is there going to be a major overhaul, or just minor changes? While I love the 80s/90s jerseys, I hope they don’t just go back to them as another retro.

With the firing of Fletcher (finally), I think every Flyers fan can agree the organ-eye-zation needs a creative, major overhaul, and it would be nice to have new uniforms to match that vision. 

17d39f21-957a-437b-8af3-d3e112b5259f.gif

On 3/6/2023 at 2:32 PM, BuckDancer said:

Yes, but there wasn't a considerable difference between the final Reebok Edge jerseys and the first Adidas jerseys given that they were essentially shifting manufacturing from one division of the company to another. Changing to a completely different parent company will likely be more drastic. Additionally, the Leafs did their redesign one year before the changeover as well.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

An alleged prototype of an unused Minnesota Wild alternate jersey found its way to Twitter yesterday.

I hope the rumor mill is right and the Wild are dredging up the North Stars' brand, because this jersey is just not good. Except for the captain patch.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2023 at 7:19 PM, Timaa said:

Any info on what the Flyers change is going to be? Obviously the logo and colors aren’t going anywhere, but is there going to be a major overhaul, or just minor changes? While I love the 80s/90s jerseys, I hope they don’t just go back to them as another retro.

With the firing of Fletcher (finally), I think every Flyers fan can agree the organ-eye-zation needs a creative, major overhaul, and it would be nice to have new uniforms to match that vision. 

I hope they lessen the white in the orange jersey and use black more.

• Dislike 2

8 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I hope the rumor mill is right and the Wild are dredging up the North Stars' brand, because this jersey is just not good. Except for the captain patch.

Is there any rumor other than they're just keeping the latest reverse retros in the rotation? I believe that is already confirmed.

11 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

An alleged prototype of an unused Minnesota Wild alternate jersey found its way to Twitter yesterday.

Somehow I don’t hate it. I can’t quite put it into words, but there’s definitely something alluring about it. The captain’s patch is also nice, and I do like that there’s the State of Hockey logo. 

But I’m very glad none of this made it past testing. I usually hate BFBS and this would have brought it black to the Wild’s regular sweaters which would have sucked. I’m much happier that the North Stars branding will be the alternate look instead. 

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10