MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

40 minutes ago, 1stAndPhoremost said:

https://www.si.com/fannation/sneakers/news/bryce-harper-debuts-custom-under-armour-cleats-in-wawa-colorway

spacer.png

who knows if the Phillies will go with Wawa as a jersey sponsor, but between this and Schwarber being the face of Hoagiefest…there are signs

I don't know any more than you or anyone else here does, but I really can't see them going with a regional brand, and why a regional brand would want to pay what it would take (other than to keep their competitor from doing it first.)  With Sheetz and the Pirates, I can't imagine that companies were really fighting to out bid each other for that ad space.  Phillies ad space is far more valuable.  The most logical company that would pay for it would be Comcast, but they don't need to worry about Verizon or any competitor getting the space since the Phillies are business partners with them.  Also, I would expect that deal to already have happened.  IBX  maybe?  It certainly won't be a bank or a company like Vanguard due to the partnership with Citizens.  Maybe Campbells or Ritas Water Ice?  Seems like a financial stretch for either.

My guess is that if it's not Comcast or some Comcast-related brand (imagine an NBC Peacock on the sleeve), it'll be something completely out of left field that nobody sees coming.

I just wish they kept the sleeve numbers until the deal was made.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1. I mean yeah, obviously, no ads is best. But if we have to have them, then make them match.

2. It does seem odd that the regular white home uni appears to have the Sheetz logo replacing the jolly roger on the left sleeve, whereas the Sheetz logo is on the right sleeve on all the others, leaving the left sleeve logos in place. However, we've only seen the city connect in action, and the others in promo shoots.

3. I've seen Sheetz announce new locations opening further and further east, so that's where I got that "taking the fight into Wawa territory" from. And yeah, I was trying to ignore how it's all reminiscent of the Pirates' "red for red's sake" era. Thanks for reminding me 😂

EDIT: I can get used to the BP hats with the City Connect jersey. Gives off some real 1979 vibes. Don't mind the white pants with em, either.

• Like 1

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

Is that true?  If so, I certainly haven't noticed it.  The two actually partner on some things.

Also, regarding the patch - the worst thing is that it's red, which makes the uniform look like a relic of the pre-PNC set with the dumb red-billed cap and red-trimmed stuff.  Didn't they have a red BP or alt or something?  I wish it was any other color besides red.

Also 2 - I don't think it'll be Wawa for the Phillies.  The Phillies will command one of the larger deals - probably the 3rd or 4th biggest one.  Wawa doesn't need it, and there's nobody that they compete with that would take it before they do.  Royal Farms isn't making a dent and isn't a threat for the patch, and Sheetz - even if they are competing, which I doubt, certainly isn't going to get it.  Also I don't think even Wawa could afford what it'll cost.

Also 3 - Sheetz > Wawa.  I'd cut off my own wang if I could get a Shmuffin, Shmiscuit, Shmagle, and a Shmonster right now.

I honestly only came into contact with Sheetz (besides some exit signs on 95 travelling back and forth between New York and South Carolina) when the Phillies were so bad that their subreddit became a Wawa sub and they described Sheetz as the anti-Wawa.  I assumed they crossed borders and competed, although them making it to 95 is already plenty evidence of that.

23 minutes ago, Maz said:

2. It does seem odd that the regular white home uni appears to have the Sheetz logo replacing the jolly roger on the left sleeve, whereas the Sheetz logo is on the right sleeve on all the others, leaving the left sleeve logos in place. However, we've only seen the city connect in action, and the others in promo shoots.

I don't know these players, but the Sheetz patch is moving by handedness, on the left for righties and on the right for lefties.  The guy in the white is clearly a righty.  Maybe that's all it comes down to.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

So tomorrow starts the Roku-exclusive game, which of course, is the Phillies.  Not only is it at 11:30 am (which might actually be nice), but you need a goddam device to watch their channel, unless your TV supports their app (which my LG OLED does not.)

I've been messing around with my TV's browser to see if the channel is accessible on the web, which it seems to be, but I have a feeling it's going to be very annoying to watch.  It doesn't seem like screen mirroring from another supported device works.

It's one thing to have to subscribe to a streaming service just to watch the occasional game.  It's lousy, but doable.  But for them to market this as "free", but mostly only available if you buy one of their devices is crummy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, BBTV said:

So tomorrow starts the Roku-exclusive game, which of course, is the Phillies.  Not only is it at 11:30 am (which might actually be nice), but you need a goddam device to watch their channel, unless your TV supports their app (which my LG OLED does not.)

I've been messing around with my TV's browser to see if the channel is accessible on the web, which it seems to be, but I have a feeling it's going to be very annoying to watch.  It doesn't seem like screen mirroring from another supported device works.

It's one thing to have to subscribe to a streaming service just to watch the occasional game.  It's lousy, but doable.  But for them to market this as "free", but mostly only available if you buy one of their devices is crummy.

Roku app on phones and the website work to watch it. All you have to do is make a free account which is kinda annoying but takes like a minute. So yeah, it is pretty free. Similar to the Youtube games.

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Roku app on phones and the website work to watch it. All you have to do is make a free account which is kinda annoying but takes like a minute. So yeah, it is pretty free. Similar to the Youtube games.

I'm not watching a 3hr game on a phone or tablet or laptop.

1 hour ago, M59 said:

Does your TV allow you to patch in from one of those devices?

Turns out LGs native web browser can go to the Roku Channel site and after an agonizing sign-in process, let me watch. I already had an account but it was a chore. 

But air-play, screen mirroring, etc. are blocked from the channel so it wasn’t as simple as it could have been. I think their app is native on Samsung and TCL TVs (some of which are branded as Roku TVs), or that’s what their documentation says at least. 

EDIT: the TV web browser goes into screen-saver mode after inactivity, and it seems to not count live action as "activity", requiring a relaunch and at least 2 more clicks + waiting to get the game back on.  Was taking a dump and heard the game go off, and was like "oh sh t" (ironically, for two reasons.)

• LOL 1
  • WOAH 1

Of course, right as I say there’s no competition between Sheetz and Wawa, this article comes out. 

https://www.inquirer.com/news/wawa-sheetz-phoenixville-gas-stations-neighbors-20240622.html

That would easily be the first sheetz that’s firmly in Wawa territory. The others where they cross over are in Berks County (literally KKK territory, and not an area that most would consider part of Phila metro since it’s not one of the PA or NJ counties that make up the Delaware valley (despite what Taylor Swift and her dad claim), or Northeast PA, which also wouldn’t be part of Delaware valley.  I don’t think Wawa is part of the local fabric in any of those areas. 

I don’t care about the Virginia, MD, or Florida stores, because similar to above, they’re  just “stores”, not part of the local fabric. 

• Like 1

The CC jersey and cap with white pants is looking good today. I sort of don't want to see the black pants again. After seeing the different combos the Bucs have worn this weekend, if I was them, I'd do the following...

1. Trash the CC batting helmet. It sucks

2. Make a gold helmet with black brim that matches the CC cap

3. Wear the CC cap, and said gold helmet, with the white pants for day CC games.

4. For night CC games, wear the BP hat and black helmet like they did yesterday, but with the black pants, as a sort of "modernized" version of the 1979 unis

• Like 4

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I tuned into some of the game briefly and didn't even realize the hat and pants but I guess that's what happens when your City Connect is team colors.

ea6b4ac9eb78447aab2f6c42355cb2fd

I wonder how realistically any other teams could do this? The Pirates seemed to luck into just having team colors for their CC so they could mix and match. I wonder if like the Royals or another team could feasibly do this too.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I don’t care about the Virginia, MD, or Florida stores, because similar to above, they’re  just “stores”, not part of the local fabric. 

Maybe someone should just write an entire goddamn novel about the gas stations that sell sandwiches, geez.

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

joR4trj.jpg

Yeah I really like this. After seeing them go with the white pants & the BP cap, I was hoping they'd try this combo (I'm not too big on the BP cap, the stars look too "bloated" to me & the stripes don't go all the way around). I think they could afford to go the Rockies' route & wear white pants for day games, & black pants for night games.

On a similar note, the Pirates' identity has kind of descended into a lot of unnecessary mix-&-match combos. Even though they dropped the black home alternate jersey with white outlines, they still wear that hat while at home with the "Pittsburgh" black alternate that doesn't have white in it, and they even have another cap with an extra gold outline for the road. I think the regular black cap is really all they need. There's no need to have 4 (if you count the BP) slightly different black caps.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SportsFan12 said:

Another crazy idea could be to just make an inverted yellow version of their black or white jerseys that are better than the City Connect anyway.

This would look great, and would work with either the script road look or the previous one (which I find superior to the script.)

One thing is for sure - their black alt with the "phantom" script is bad.  A yellow version with black script with white outline would be much better.

It's really a shame that the Pirates are the Pirates, because (other than the alt) they've had such great uniforms since PNC opened, and nobody gets to see them on a regular basis because they've been so irrelevant and haven't had a marketable player since McCutchen was MVP - and even then, he didn't get nearly as much press as most other MVPs.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1