This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I don't get UFL fans when it comes to expansion talks.  They say "we should expand to so and so because they have a stadium between 15,000 and 30,000 people" only for said stadium to be an MLS Stadium.  While those stadiums are the perfect size, there's no guarantee that the UFL will step foot there.  I know it's been said that Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado would be good to bring back the Denver Gold, but only if the Colorado Rapids are fine with it and we don't know if they are.

MLS Stadiums are not as easy to get for the UFL as UFL fans think they are.  If it was so easy then the Stars and Generals would have been retained in the merger.  

• Like 3

On 7/2/2024 at 4:45 PM, GDAWG said:

Sometimes I don't get UFL fans when it comes to expansion talks.  They say "we should expand to so and so because they have a stadium between 15,000 and 30,000 people" only for said stadium to be an MLS Stadium.  While those stadiums are the perfect size, there's no guarantee that the UFL will step foot there.  I know it's been said that Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado would be good to bring back the Denver Gold, but only if the Colorado Rapids are fine with it and we don't know if they are.

MLS Stadiums are not as easy to get for the UFL as UFL fans think they are.  If it was so easy then the Stars and Generals would have been retained in the merger.  

A lot of fans don't THINK about logistics.  A lot of people shout to move into San Diego and the rest of the west coast without giving any thought to costs and logistics.  I truly wish there were more stadiums built in the 20-35k range... that football didn't tear up the field so much... 

Maybe when the magic happens and we get a synthetic soccer pitch that plays like real grass...

14 hours ago, PTrudellJr said:

A lot of fans don't THINK about logistics.  A lot of people shout to move into San Diego and the rest of the west coast without giving any thought to costs and logistics.  I truly wish there were more stadiums built in the 20-35k range... that football didn't tear up the field so much... 

Maybe when the magic happens and we get a synthetic soccer pitch that plays like real grass...

For all we know, Audi Field could be a total outlier.  

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

For all we know, Audi Field could be a total outlier.  

Well the LA Wildcats did play at Dignity Health Sports Park (LA Galaxy). And originally with the formation of XFL2020, the Battlehawks were only supposed to play in The Dome until the completion of CITYPark (but they immediately outgrew it's 22,500 capacity, rendering it's availability moot).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, McCall said:

Well the LA Wildcats did play at Dignity Health Sports Park (LA Galaxy). And originally with the formation of XFL2020, the Battlehawks were only supposed to play in The Dome until the completion of CITYPark (but they immediately outgrew it's 22,500 capacity, rendering it's availability moot).

That was under old management though.  New management might feel different.  

On 7/2/2024 at 3:45 PM, GDAWG said:

I know it's been said that Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado would be good to bring back the Denver Gold, but only if the Colorado Rapids are fine with it and we don't know if they are.

Denver-area resident here, so ima throw in my thoughts...

Unlike Mile High, Ball Arena and Coors Field, that Commerce City stadium is in such a brutal location, which absolutely drives down the popularity for the Rapids out here. If that stadium where anywhere near downtown, they'd have double the fans and attendance. Even speaking for myself, I've been to one Rapids game ever and no plans to go back because it takes 45-60 mins to drive there from where I live. Would definitely have been to more if they weren't in BFE.

So all that, plus the possibility of sitting thru minor league springtime football in 40 degree weather is a bit of a turnoff -- for me it is, at least.

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

On 7/3/2024 at 8:32 PM, PTrudellJr said:

I still would like to have a San Diego UFL team at some point.

The issue with San Diego is finding five available dates for Spring Football at Snapdragon Stadium.  Besides San Diego State, in the spring/summer it hosts the San Diego Wave of the NWSL and San Diego Legion of Major League Rugby.  Next year, San Diego FC of the MLS will play at that stadium as well.  So it's not a stadium devoid of dates in the spring and summer.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/5/2024 at 1:13 PM, Cujo said:

Denver-area resident here, so ima throw in my thoughts...

Unlike Mile High, Ball Arena and Coors Field, that Commerce City stadium is in such a brutal location, which absolutely drives down the popularity for the Rapids out here. If that stadium where anywhere near downtown, they'd have double the fans and attendance. Even speaking for myself, I've been to one Rapids game ever and no plans to go back because it takes 45-60 mins to drive there from where I live. Would definitely have been to more if they weren't in BFE.

So all that, plus the possibility of sitting thru minor league springtime football in 40 degree weather is a bit of a turnoff -- for me it is, at least.

Fellow Denver person here, this is 100% correct. RTD doesn’t even operate close to that stadium, compared to the other stadiums (dedicated Ball Arena stop, a stop close to Mile High, and Coors Field is less than a five-minute walk from Union Station). DU hockey might be more popular than the Rapids here. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 2:53 PM, GDAWG said:

The issue with San Diego is finding five available dates for Spring Football at Snapdragon Stadium.  Besides San Diego State, in the spring/summer it hosts the San Diego Wave of the NWSL and San Diego Legion of Major League Rugby.  Next year, San Diego FC of the MLS will play at that stadium as well.  So it's not a stadium devoid of dates in the spring and summer.  

Try Petco Park since that place found a way to make the Holiday Bowl fit.

1 minute ago, neo_prankster said:

Try Petco Park since that place found a way to make the Holiday Bowl fit.

The Holiday Bowl is during the offseason, UFL falls during early parts of the Padres season.  That's a challenge for sure.

14 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

The Holiday Bowl is during the offseason, UFL falls during early parts of the Padres season.  That's a challenge for sure.

Hmmmm.....

In that case, is there an NFL team that could move to San Diego? Maybe the Commanders or Bengals could play at Snapdragon temporarily while a bigger venue is built? It would be nice if Roger Goodell can give my city a second chance after Dean Spanos spat in our faces.

Should we ask the CFL for an expansion team?

Because right now, too many of my fellow San Diegans are mad at LA just because the Chargers moved there seven years ago. So that's why I want a UFL team here.

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

San Diego also probably gets more home games at the start of the year, depending on who they're playing that year. I can see them getting 5 games in, but playoffs would be an issue. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...

San Antonio season ticket holders have reportedly been told the Brahmas will have 4 home games due to lack of availability of the Alamodome. Not sure if that means 6 road games or a 5th home game somewhere else in the area. Maybe they copy WLAF and play at Alamo Stadium or San Marcos.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png