2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

On 8/24/2024 at 3:05 PM, Aardvark said:

The one everyone here likes so much

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

It is such a travesty that this isn't their primary logo.  You could put it on two stripes and have the perfect combination of their roman and heritage themes.

• Like 14
  • Yawn 1

17 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

It is such a travesty that this isn't their primary logo.  You could put it on two stripes and have the perfect combination of their roman and heritage themes.

This logo is surprisingly not that well liked by the general fanbase. When they were getting ready for the last rebrand people made suggestions to switch to this logo I saw a lot of pushback. I think the team realized the safe choice was to make minimal changes to the original logo.

I personally think it's fine, but I do like having the wings on the current version. IMO an ideal 2D logo would've borrowed elements from both versions. Something like this:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2

29 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

This logo is surprisingly not that well liked by the general fanbase. When they were getting ready for the last rebrand people made suggestions to switch to this logo I saw a lot of pushback. I think the team realized the safe choice was to make minimal changes to the original logo.

I personally think it's fine, but I do like having the wings on the current version. IMO an ideal 2D logo would've borrowed elements from both versions. Something like this:

spacer.png

Must be something in the water in Ottawa if they don't like the updated centurion.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

I think this is better than the actual logo without the wing things on the side, but something still isn't right. He looks like he's holding in a poop or something

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Patchey13 said:

Must be something in the water in Ottawa if they don't like the updated centurion.

Yeah I was surprised when I saw the general consensus among Sens twitter/reddit was against the updated 2D.

I guess that just proves that nostalgia is the main driver behind people's tastes. The updated logo might have cleaner lines and better balance, but it doesn't give people the warm fuzzies the way the original one does so people don't like it.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

More teams getting creative. I still don't get why the NHL makes teams keep some form of the red line on their logo. IIHF allows the removal of the entire red line in the centre circle.

spacer.png'

Edit, Well I am a complete moron. The centre ice logo is supposed to be a top down view of the inside of the Stanley Cup (in FLA colours). I only noticed once someone pointed it out on reddit

Edited by Klondyke
  • Like 5
  • Meh 3

2 hours ago, Klondyke said:

More teams getting creative. I still don't get why the NHL makes teams keep some form of the red line on their logo. IIHF allows the removal of the entire red line in the centre circle.

spacer.png

For icing calls, I'd assume (why the NHL needs the visual aid more than the IIHF I couldn't tell you)

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

For icing calls, I'd assume (why the NHL needs the visual aid more than the IIHF I couldn't tell you)

Because NHL officials are friggin' incompetent idiots. Need we say more?

• Like 1

I wonder if the Panthers' center ice would look better if the Cup portion were silver.

I get what they are doing with the inside of the Cup bowl in Panthers' colors, but it's not visually translating to me.

I'm seeing some kind of exotic flower, or a plate of weird spaghetti.

The 2020 bubble center ice logo had the cup featured, and I'm thinking using the silver might look better, even if it doesn't match the Panthers' colors.

NHL ice masters call league's bubbled playoffs a success, memorable for 5OT  game - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Klondyke said:

Edit, Well I am a complete moron. The centre ice logo is supposed to be a top down view of the inside of the Stanley Cup (in FLA colours). I only noticed once someone pointed it out on reddit

Never in my life would I have figured that out on my own. What a head-scratching design choice.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Echo said:

Never in my life would I have figured that out on my own. What a head-scratching design choice.

Vegas did something similar with their centre ice design last year. Although it was a bit more obvious with the silver around the edges.

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AstroCreep said:

I actually like the idea of the current cup holder to have a special center ice logo for that season. 

I do too, but would prefer something less abstract and more like the NBA did with the Larry O'Brien trophy.  Obviously, keep it all inside the centre circle

spacer.png

• Hurl 1

8 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Vegas did something similar with their centre ice design last year. Although it was a bit more obvious with the silver around the edges.

spacer.png

In silver it makes sense. In team colors not so much. 

• Like 1

I don't know if I am a fan of the fill-the-center-circle trend. I'd be okay with it and interested in seeing how teams get creative with it... if we still lived in the era of the only ads being the four in the neutral zone - or better yet, no on-ice ads at all.

When it comes to defending champions having a special on-ice logo: IMO, it's great for the first home game when you raise the banner. I'd be cool with doing it for the first few home games, so more fans can see it than just the ones who watch/attend on opening night (until the end of October, perhaps). Maybe I can get with doing it up until the All-Star/Olympic break... but after that point, I'm not a fan. I've always had a strong "that was last year, what about this year?" mindset when it comes to that sort of thing. It's nothing to do with some "code" or "unwritten rule" about showboating or anything, mind you. To me, the banner raising is like the final farewell to the previous season and official beginning of the next campaign.

• Like 2

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

One thing I would LOVE is if the Leafs went back to their Maple Leaf Gardens Centre ice era logo (which still exists at the grocery store that now resides there).

I doubt it will happen in this era of branding, but one can dream

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Love 2

On 8/25/2024 at 3:13 AM, Klondyke said:

If anyone know of any merch that used this variant of the 2D logo, I would love to see it

spacer.png

Of all things, I had an official NHL chocolate advent calendar that Christmas that used it. It was only Canadian teams, but it used that Senators logo.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, Klondyke said:

One thing I would LOVE is if the Leafs went back to their Maple Leaf Gardens Centre ice era logo (which still exists at the grocery store that now resides there now).

Yeah! I always loved that simplicity for the Maple Leafs. If they were to bring it back (and with nostalgia for better times only getting stronger as times get worse, nothing's off the table), I think they'd have to turn it 90 degrees to accommodate the hard camera, TV considerations not being that important to Canadian teams and their lousy TV deals through the late '90s.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫