2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

6 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

with a Roman theme justified with the Senators name, you have a lot more potential, along with a pretentious latin motto, which is the one thing I'm surprised the Sens never did.

There is so much potential with this. They could make their arena look like the Roman Forum for example.

1 hour ago, Aardvark said:

There is so much potential with this. They could make their arena look like the Roman Forum for example.

I know why they can't, because it would give permission to bypass it, but I wish the various naming-rights deals kept "Palladium" over "Centre" or "Arena." Maybe they can start fresh whenever they finally build in Lebreton Flats.

Pretentious Latin motto: Folia Vincat Verno

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, WSU151 said:

He moved to Canada in his teens and went to design school in Canada.

Not sure why you need to be born in Canada to design a hockey logo.

And the thing is…it was accepted as the logo by the smart hockey guys who must have known all the history

I'm not saying the designer has to be from Canada. It's just a bit of context around the choices that were made. I do like the 2D logo in a vacuum, but it's very much a product of a time when sports teams prioritized merch sales over creating an organic connection between the brand & the city. It's the same reason a team named after the Civil War had a neon green bug logo.

As a fan of the team it's more of a nitpick than anything. I spent almost 15 years watching them play in some of the worst uniforms of all time, so as long as they don't go back to those I'll be happy.

16 hours ago, Aardvark said:

I'm sorry but this would be way too corny for a team playing in a traditional market. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's the same reason a team named after the Civil War had a neon green bug logo.

I know it's ludicrous and probably something that for the most part the team should leave in the past, but I love the original Blue Jackets branding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's the same reason a team named after the Civil War had a neon green bug logo.

To be fair, it seemed like even Columbus never cared much for Stinger in the first place outside of his presence of being a mascot. Merchandise aside, it was only really used as a shoulder patch and then quickly replaced with more appropriate Civil War imagery when the alternate jersey debuted three years in. Even the reverse retro jersey from 2021 threw back to the non-Stinger version of the original jersey.

15 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Looks like we've got some confirmation on Utah's socks at least from the NHL 25 marketing launch. Not the best angle to determine if the breezers are plain or not, though

NHL25_Web_Homepage_Features_GameModes_16

The best home uniform Utah Hockey Club has had.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

On 8/22/2024 at 10:06 AM, spartacat_12 said:

I'm sorry but this would be way too corny for a team playing in a traditional market. 

I don't think they would have to go full-on theme park with a new arena, but a few little neoclassical touches would be okay. Think the old Soldier Field. It would be a nice alternative to the blobitecture in Quebec City, Edmonton, and soon Calgary.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Now this is interesting. It looks like the “new” 2D Sens logo but it’s the classic logo

em2y3svtrnkd1.jpeg

Which new 2d logo are you referencing? The gold stroke along the neck to the plume is a sign it's the current 2d logo, just truncated.

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

38 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

The one everyone here likes so much

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

I'm not sure what you're seeing in the centre ice picture but it is the current logo (slightly zoomed in).   It's not the 1997-2007 logo and is certainly not the unused prototype.  

Edit:  when you say it "looks like" do you mean it appears to actually be or that it simply resembles due to being zoomed in?

• Like 1

zzPEfBm.png

3 hours ago, Aardvark said:

The one everyone here likes so much

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

I used to work for EA Sports.  The centre ice CADs we got for the RBK Edge launch came months in advance. It made the video game, but for whatever reason they changed their minds at the last minute. Under Eugene Melnyk, the Sens business operations were a mess to deal with.  We'd often have to reach out to Reebok and Adidas because no one would ever respond to us.

What was most annoying about this, was we even triple checked with the Sens, because we knew they did not use that logo on any initial merch (I don't know if they ever used it formally), and they either would not respond or would passively reassure us. 

What the Sens sent EA

spacer.png

What they ended up going with, without telling us

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • WOAH 4

2 hours ago, Klondyke said:

I used to work for EA Sports.  The centre ice CADs we got for the RBK Edge launch came months in advance. It made the video game, but for whatever reason they changed their minds at the last minute. Under Eugene Melnyk, the Sens business operations were a mess to deal with.  We'd often have to reach out to Reebok and Adidas because no one would ever respond to us.

What was most annoying about this, was we even triple checked with the Sens, because we knew they did not use that logo on any initial merch (I don't know if they ever used it formally), and they either would not respond or would passively reassure us. 

What the Sens sent EA

spacer.png

What they ended up going with, without telling us

spacer.png

Does that suggest that possibly that modernized 2D logo could have maybe been considered as a primary logo for awhile, until the club changed their minds?

Or does it merely suggest that the Senators under Melnyk were a disorganized, embarrassing mess (which we all knew already)?

I'm going to vote mess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Does that suggest that possibly that modernized 2D logo could have maybe been considered as a primary logo for awhile, until the club changed their minds?

Or does it merely suggest that the Senators under Melnyk were a disorganized, embarrassing mess (which we all knew already)?

I'm going to vote mess.

At EA, we got all the RBK edge CADs about 7-8 months before they came out. None of them ever had that 2D logo. The only place i have ever seen it on actual merch was in really old Icethetics posts that showed some prototypes

If anyone know of any merch that used this variant of the 2D logo, I would love to see it

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Klondyke said:

At EA, we got all the RBK edge CADs about 7-8 months before they came out. None of them ever had that 2D logo. The only place i have ever seen it on actual merch was in really old Icethetics posts that showed some prototypes

If anyone know of any merch that used this variant of the 2D logo, I would love to see it

I can’t find any pictures, but I had a St. Patrick’s Day hat that used the updated 2D logo. It was part of a league-wide series that had every team’s logo in gold with a leprechaun hat on them. They were all flex-fits with white mesh backs.