Houston Texans Uniforms

nbitterman

With word that the Houston Texans plan on unvieling their new uniforms this April, I decided to give it a go. I actually like the Texans brand and I don't hate their current set, so I kept the changes minimal. That being said, I think minimal changes can go a long way for this team with the right approach. Also excited to hear that the light blue color will be returning in some capacity! Of course I had to incorporate it, but I left it subtle... for now. Enjoy!

Primary Home & Away

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Love 3

I am also a big fan of their current uniforms but these look really good to me and I could see them being pretty close to what ends up being revealed. My only critique would be the 'Houston Blue' star looks a bit off on the home jerseys. I know there have been rumors that they will incorporate that color into the new set but I have a feeling it will be primarily used with their new alternate uniforms. Great job overall.

• Like 3

I agree with you on liking their current set. When it first debuted back in '02 it felt almost too minimal, but I think that's what's also kept it from aging poorly like some of the Cardinals, Buccaneers and Jaguars updates over the past two decades.

I agree with @McQ that the blue star doesn't quite work seamlessly in the new home uniform. A suggestion - if the star on the home jerseys was rendered in navy blue, could the reference to light blue come with a collar stripe that mimics the Oilers sleeve stripe pattern?

• Like 3

This set looks wonderful! It's pretty similar to what I'd do for the Texans (I'd keep the "USC style" stripes but just make them dual-colored like you did. I'd also make the helmet, away jersey numbers, and socks red). 

I'll echo the comments above that the "H-Town Blue" feels a bit out of place in the star on the home jersey, I think navy would look better. However, I'm still excited to see how you hopefully include the color in the alternates. 

I agree with you that the Texans only need minimal changes, but unfortunately I have a feeling that your designs will end up being a lot better than what the team actually unveils. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm looking forward to seeing more designs from you, whether that be Texans alternates or (hopefully) other teams in the league!

• Like 1

I think the powder would probably feel more cohesive if you added it to more than just the star on the home jersey, honestly. As it is, it feels like a really random color for this set without the alternate for context.

Adding it as, say, a helmet/pants stripe and a stroke in the number font like you're doing with the red would really help make it seem more like a proper secondary color, I feel.

• Like 2

Thank you for the support and the great feedback! I made a couple tweaks based on the suggestions, and I also played around with blue sleeves on the road white jersey to match the home jersey. I thought it turned out better than I expected it to, but let me know what you think.

Primary Home & Away: v2

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 1/4/2024 at 2:14 PM, nbitterman said:

With word that the Houston Texans plan on unvieling their new uniforms this April, I decided to give it a go. I actually like the Texans brand and I don't hate their current set, so I kept the changes minimal. That being said, I think minimal changes can go a long way for this team with the right approach. Also excited to hear that the light blue color will be returning in some capacity! Of course I had to incorporate it, but I left it subtle... for now. Enjoy!

Primary Home & Away

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice, but do you have red helmets and navy blue jersey version?

I like these, but I'd like to see the numbers and player name on the white jersey reversed - red number with blue trim and the player name in blue.

Also, I'd like to see the socks on both uniforms topped in red.

• Like 2

I think the navy sleeve caps on the away jersey are a wash, I like both versions but I probably slightly prefer the white sleeves, just because it preserves the white star and would match the white pants better whenever they (presumably) decide to do that combo.

The navy numbers looked really nice, but looking at the red numbers they definitely feel like an improvement. The red socks are as well. With a red helmet, & the white sleeves returning, this set would be pretty much perfect to me.

These look really great and have gotten better with each iteration. My suggestion would be to either abandon the hip logo (it's gonna be so small that the details would get lost) or just put another star there too. This star would have the stripes cutting through it vertically rather than horizontally as it is on the sleeve, but it might still work.

That red jersey is fantastic. Great job.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, gimmick said:

I just noticed that you have "HOUSTON" on the blue jerseys and "TEXANS" on the white ones.

Shouldn't that be reversed, or did you do that by design? 

By design. I wanted to utilized the city name on the primary home jersey, then use the team name on the road and alterante red jersey. I plan on coming up with another uniform to fully embrace H-Town as well.

@nbitterman  I hope you don't mind my jumping on your post instead of starting another one.  I like the use of the Texas flag imagery with your design.  A lot of good stuff there.  With mine  I tried to largely avoid the flag and use the secondary logo a bit more just to do something different.  Also wanted to stay pretty basic, especially with my all blue and white color rush.  

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Hurl 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

@nbitterman  I hope you don't mind my jumping on your post instead of starting another one.  I like the use of the Texas flag imagery with your design.  A lot of good stuff there.  With mine  I tried to largely avoid the flag and use the secondary logo a bit more just to do something different.  Also wanted to stay pretty basic, especially with my all blue and white color rush.  

spacer.png

@WideRight Very nice!

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT a Houston Oilers throwback concept. While I think those look great, I have a feeling the Tennessee Titans (who currently have an Oilers throwback) wouldn't exactly appreciate the Texans doing something very similar. Also, the NFL is still currently implementing a 2 helmet rule to the best of my knowledge; and since I went with a red helmet for the Battle Red concept, I'm sticking to a navy blue helmet with an H-Town blue stripe in place of the normal white stripe. I agree that a white helmet could be the better look here, but I'm deciding to adhere to the current rules for this. So don't come for me on that lol.

With all that said, my version of the H-Town blue look uses the same design as the Primary Home & Away and Battle Red with the exception of the numbers, which utilize a dual outline. Because red and navy blue are used in the number outlines, I believe this helps justify a navy blue star on the flag stripes. My goal is to utilize the H-Town blue heavily to pay tribute to the Oilers, while at the same time making it feel like the Texans. Would love to hear more feedback, but please keep it within the rules that I'm adhering to. Thanks!!

H-Town Blue

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Hurl 1