Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

While the Birmingham Bears' "ursine figure, racing his way to the endzone, ball in hand" is wonderfully executed, he reminds me of a certain prospector who already "'rushes' towards pay dirt, football in hand" on another AAFL helmet. 

Further, that nod of the houndstooth fedora and the Bears nickname may prove irresistible to fans of a college football program in Tuscaloosa, but it is going to alienate an equally large swath of supporters who shout, "War Eagle!" on the Plains come Saturdays each Fall. I don't see any way that an astute pro sports franchise would willfully write-off so many potential customers before the team had even taken the field. 

Besides, what's not to love about a terrific modern update of a classic alternative football identity?

I have to go with...

Forged in Flame, Steeled for Success: Birmingham Vulcans Football! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

While the Birmingham Bears' "ursine figure, racing his way to the endzone, ball in hand" is wonderfully executed, he reminds me of a certain prospector who already "'rushes' towards pay dirt, football in hand" on another AAFL helmet. 

Further, that nod of the houndstooth fedora and the Bears nickname may prove irresistible to fans of a college football program in Tuscaloosa, but it is going to alienate an equally large swath of supporters who shout, "War Eagle!" on the Plains come Saturdays each Fall. I don't see any way that an astute pro sports franchise would willfully write-off so many potential customers before the team had even taken the field. 

Besides, what's not to love about a terrific modern update of a classic alternative football identity?

I have to go with...

Forged in Flame, Steeled for Success: Birmingham Vulcans Football! 

When the Bears and Rush play one another, the orientation of the logos on the helmet would resemble both team’s namesakes running towards each other, ready to clash.

• Like 1

Personally, I like the Bulldozers name and logo, but another black helmet coming into the league (Also the Bulldozers concept seems  DOA). 

Bears would be yet another black helmet (and the logo, while very good, is reminiscent of the Rush as mentioned), and (IMO) it's an uninspired name (also, would the NFL allow them to use the Bears name?)

Not a fan of the Blitz color scheme or logo at all.

So, basically by default, my vote is for Vulcans.

We have reached and surpassed the 15 vote minimum, and we have a 2-horse race (sorry, Bulldozer fans)

11 Vulcans

10 Bears

So, here is the thing, I could, maybe, alter the Bears colors to avoid another black helmet  Could be a brown bear instead of a black one.  I kinda like the black though, and 3 black helmets in a 16 team league is not that bad.  As for the Vulcans, they might well be the first navy/dark blue jersey if chosen.  Those who remember my WFL series will likely recognize this identity and its use of ombre effects to evoke the heat of a forge. 

1 minute ago, WideRight said:

I kinda like the black though, and 3 black helmets in a 16 team league is not that bad. 

Overall, it's a nothing burger, and 3 in 16 isn't bad at all. It's more the idea that the last 3 expansion teams will have all been black helmets (NJ, Columbus, and the Bears), with still two more to go (so it's really more 3 in 14).

Still, your league, your art. You have already gone above and beyond by letting us have input.