2024 NFL Changes

Teams wearing alternates in prime time hasn’t been all bad. Think about when the Chargers brought the powder blue jerseys in their previous set. How many people wouldn’t have seen those jerseys if they were only worn in the late Sunday window? A lot of support for making powder blue the primary uniform color would be gone.

The funny thing is this also is an argument against alternates in prime time. When I saw the Chargers in navy, I didn’t recognize them at all. And this wasn’t just for one game. I do think there should be a limit on alternates in prime time, but never might be overkill.

• Like 3

The greatest part about the Color Rush trend was it took exactly one game for the league to figure out that not all matchups can be color vs color and had to start having visiting teams wear all white.

Also, what dumba** in charge of the uniforms decided both of these teams should wear all navy and scheduled to play each other?

spacer.png
spacer.png

So we ended up with this

spacer.png

• Hurl 1
  • Facepalm 1

27 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The greatest part about the Color Rush trend was it took exactly one game for the league to figure out that not all matchups can be color vs color and had to start having visiting teams wear all white.

Also, what dumba** in charge of the uniforms decided both of these teams should wear all navy and scheduled to play each other?

spacer.png
spacer.png

So we ended up with this

spacer.png

Yeah, those two examples put the “Rush” in Color Rush. The shortsightedness of ignoring color blindness in Bills/Jets and the same color teams you mentioned was exposed for all to see. But in the NFL’s defense for 2016, the schedule is hard enough to assemble without uniform color issues, and they did allow for white uniforms in case these issues came up. This was one time the league did learn from its mistakes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Haz_Matt said:

Yes, because watching a game and an abbreviated highlight package that shows 3-5 plays, at best, is the same thing. 🙄

Good thing we all don't have to share the same opinions and reasons to watch games or agree on everything, huh

The Youtube NFL page has 10-15 minute highlight recaps for every game and has been doing this for about 10 years now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rfraser85 said:

Yeah, those two examples put the “Rush” in Color Rush. The shortsightedness of ignoring color blindness in Bills/Jets and the same color teams you mentioned was exposed for all to see. But in the NFL’s defense for 2016, the schedule is hard enough to assemble without uniform color issues, and they did allow for white uniforms in case these issues came up. This was one time the league did learn from its mistakes.

But then they turned around and allowed this-

spacer.png

I guess they figured it’s a light jersey vs a dark jersey so it’s okay? Still doesn’t make it any less ridiculous.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

But then they turned around and allowed this-

spacer.png

I guess they figured it’s a light jersey vs a dark jersey so it’s okay? Still doesn’t make it any less ridiculous.

I never said it stuck. And I was only talking about color blindness. The league probably thought the Browns colors on their jerseys were enough contrast, so they could wear brown against the Broncos in orange.

Personally, I don’t like color vs. color at all, so the Broncos wearing navy and the Browns wearing orange wouldn’t have made a difference to me.

2 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Teams wearing alternates in prime time hasn’t been all bad. Think about when the Chargers brought the powder blue jerseys in their previous set. How many people wouldn’t have seen those jerseys if they were only worn in the late Sunday window? A lot of support for making powder blue the primary uniform color would be gone.

The funny thing is this also is an argument against alternates in prime time. When I saw the Chargers in navy, I didn’t recognize them at all. And this wasn’t just for one game. I do think there should be a limit on alternates in prime time, but never might be overkill.

Yep, I clarified my earlier lament about alts in primetime...alt jerseys and pants are OK (although I wish mono-black and mono-navy and mono-white could be banned), but not the new alt identities or whatever they're called. The Chargers were still unique with powder blues because it was in their history and they didn't modify the helmet...but I hate both of their Color Rash unis.

I would HATE to see a primetime rivalry game like the Broncos and Chargers devolve into icy white/Color Rash madness.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Quick reminder that this was a Monday Night Football game between a teal team and an orange team

To me that's more of a design problem than a alternate uniforms problem. The Texans alts still look like the Texans. While the action green is an eyesore to most, it's still a Seahawks color. Chargers alts are kind of a throwback.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

If I were Uniform Czar (please respond to my letters, Roger) I'd make each team declare primary light and dark uniforms, including helmet, jersey, pants, and socks. Then, I'd set minimums for how often they must be worn, and mandate that a team must wear one of those sets in at least one standalone game each season. For the minimums, I'd say the two sets must combine to be worn nine times (over half the season) and each must be worn at least twice, so teams like Miami and Dallas would have to wear their dark uniforms a few times every season. Combine that with a max of three throwback or alternate slots, and that leaves five games per season for teams to mix and match to their heart's content. 

I would also exempt the Thanksgiving games from the standalone minimum so the Cowboys, Lions, and their opponents could wear throwbacks only. 

In addition, all teams would submit a home uniform schedule over the summer and then road uniform schedules a few weeks later for the sake of coordination. Through this process, teams would be strongly encouraged to wear throwback uniforms against historical rivals or against opponents also wearing throwbacks and to wear alternate uniforms when the color contrast works best. And teams would be limited to just their primary light and dark uniforms in the playoffs. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

46 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

If I were Uniform Czar (please respond to my letters, Roger) I'd make each team declare primary light and dark uniforms, including helmet, jersey, pants, and socks. Then, I'd set minimums for how often they must be worn, and mandate that a team must wear one of those sets in at least one standalone game each season. For the minimums, I'd say the two sets must combine to be worn nine times (over half the season) and each must be worn at least twice, so teams like Miami and Dallas would have to wear their dark uniforms a few times every season. Combine that with a max of three throwback or alternate slots, and that leaves five games per season for teams to mix and match to their heart's content. 

I would also exempt the Thanksgiving games from the standalone minimum so the Cowboys, Lions, and their opponents could wear throwbacks only. 

In addition, all teams would submit a home uniform schedule over the summer and then road uniform schedules a few weeks later for the sake of coordination. Through this process, teams would be strongly encouraged to wear throwback uniforms against historical rivals or against opponents also wearing throwbacks and to wear alternate uniforms when the color contrast works best. And teams would be limited to just their primary light and dark uniforms in the playoffs. 

Can the czar also choose what their default uniforms are so that teams don’t just choose their crappy mono looks as their defaults?

• Like 4
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png
spacer.png

So we ended up with this

spacer.png

Right there is why I am for the Texans to add H-Town Blue to their color rush uniforms. It makes them totally different from the New England Patriots Jr. look.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

What’s a standalone game?

7 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Quick reminder that this was a Monday Night Football game between a teal team and an orange team

Reminds me of this Thursday Night Game between the Jets and Jaguars where they decided to not use any exciting colors at all.  

01hy11n2sezmda2gah25.jpg

• Like 1

XM4KeeA.png

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

The white Bengals and now white Vikings helmet are the two most unnecessary things to happen in the past couple seasons. There’s nothing cool about removing nearly all trace of an official team color solely for the purpose of achieving the “icy white ❄️ 🥶” look. How far the league has fallen.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

I don't think either of those uniforms are bad on their own. Indeed, I happen to really like the white tiger thing with the Bengals.

What's shifted is the commonality of these schemes. 

In 2023, 15 teams (half the NFL) wore a look at some point that was white from head to toe or black from head to toe (with the Cardinals having both).

Mono Black - 

Steelers
Cardinals
Falcons
Ravens
Panthers
Jaguars
Jets
Eagles
Commanders

Mono White

Cardinals
Dolphins
Colts
Cowboys
Browns
Bengals
Bills

• Like 7

6 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

This makes too much sense, which is why Howdy Doody Goodell will never approve it. 

If I ran the league every team would wear dark jerseys at home (alts are fine), white jerseys on the road, and throwback games would be coordinated.

One can dream...

• Like 3