Findlay and Bluffton Join Together in Historic Partnership

LEWJ

Not sure if this belongs here (or if it belongs at all)… But Bluffton University and the University of Findlay are merging. They are schools in Northwest Ohio, about 20 miles apart.

Bluffton participates athletically at the D3 level (NCAA). Findlay is D2.

Findlay and Bluffton would become one higher education community on two campuses. Pending all regulatory approvals, we anticipate the merger would be completed by Fall 2025

We see a brighter future ahead — one where University of Findlay and Bluffton University would establish an even stronger premier institution of higher education in Northwest Ohio.

https://www.findlayblufftonfuture.com

I’m curious to see what kind of brand changes take place, it sounds like they will be standing pat until 2025ish. A lot more info to be announced, but very curious to see if they (continue to) combine their colors (Bluffton is purple, Findlay is bright orange).

This is the only graphic they’ve revealed in regards to the merger, as far as I know:

132894669_web1_Bluffton-Findlay.jpg

• Like 1

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Some notable bits from the FAQ page:

Would Bluffton University’s name change because of a merger?

University of Findlay and Bluffton University will continue to operate as independent institutions, until legal approval is granted. No decision regarding Bluffton University’s name has been made at this time.

Interesting that there's no question about Findlay changing its name. So Findlay will stay "University of Findlay", but Bluffton could change.

I’ve seen the “Strong Roots. Brighter Future.” artwork. Is this the new logo?

This artwork and its variations will appear in official communications during the second and third phases of the merger process. The artwork gives a visual presence to our Strong Roots and even Brighter Future as Findlay and Bluffton come together to achieve something greater. It is not intended for external use or in merchandising. This artwork would be replaced with our new joint brand, which would be revealed during Phase 4, when we launch and celebrate.

How will a merger affect student-athletes?

Until legal approval is granted, student-athletes will continue to compete in their current athletic program as NCAA Division II University of Findlay Oilers and NCAA Division III Bluffton University Beavers. The intention, pending NCAA approval, is that the athletics programs at each institution will continue to operate under two divisions with University of Findlay competing in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference and Bluffton University competing in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference. This is a model that other schools who have merged are following successfully.

Will University of Findlay and Bluffton University keep their team names and mascots?

The intention is that University of Findlay will remain the Oilers, with Derrick the Oiler as the team mascot, while Bluffton University will remain the Beavers, with J. Denny Beaver and Jenny Beaver as the team mascots.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

spacer.png

Oh good find @burgundy, i should have perused a little longer!  I had noticed that about Bluffton name change being mentioned, but not Findlay.

One of my good buddies was recruited by Findlay football(15 yrs ago),  so we’re curious to see if it has any substantial impact on the level of play and recruiting landscape in the future.

But obviously excited to see the “joint brand” unveiled later on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LEWJ said:

Oh good find @burgundy, i should have perused a little longer!  I had noticed that about Bluffton name change being mentioned, but not Findlay.

One of my good buddies was recruited by Findlay football(15 yrs ago),  so we’re curious to see if it has any substantial impact on the level of play and recruiting landscape in the future.

But obviously excited to see the “joint brand” unveiled later on.

I'm not surprised to see this. A lot of smaller private schools are at the point of going under. Urbana and Notre Dame College have gone under in the last five years, NDC will be closing at the end of the semester. I'd expect that merged version of Findley to stay in the GMAC, rather than drop down to the HCAC. I'm also surprised Central State (OH) hasn't come back to the GMAC instead of staying in the SIAC, since most of the schools are nearer to them in the GMAC than in the SIAC. But I think alumni are driving that since they play a few Classics every year as a HBCU.  

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

@MJWalker45 I can’t say I’m too surprised either, now that I’ve learned a little bit more about the universities. I had also seen that about Urbana, and soon ND College.

I knew Bluffton was a private Christian school, but i just learned Findlay is too. It says both schools are coming from a good place financially, so I guess we’ll see how it goes. I’m assuming this is not much different than other similar mergers and “joint campuses”. But right now it just feels like sharing bills 😂

1 minute ago, LEWJ said:

@MJWalker45 I can’t say I’m too surprised either, now that I’ve learned a little bit more about the universities. I had also seen that about Urbana, and soon ND College.

I knew Bluffton was a private Christian school, but i just learned Findlay is too. It says both schools are coming from a good place financially, so I guess we’ll see how it goes. I’m assuming this is not much different than other similar mergers and “joint campuses”. But right now it just feels like sharing bills 😂

I'm betting their financials are on par with the XFL and USFL before their merger. Good enough to limp along separately, but better for both to streamline operations and continue on as one school for a much longer time frame. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm betting their financials are on par with the XFL and USFL before their merger. Good enough to limp along separately, but better for both to streamline operations and continue on as one school for a much longer time frame. 

Yea, I’m guessing that’s probably the best way to put it. I guess it’s smart on them for having the analysis done regarding a possible merger. Curious if it was their reaction to Urbana, NDC, and others closing their doors.

17 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I have a feeling that the athletics will eventually merge to save money, much like the LIU campuses did. The difference is that I think that despite Findlay's athletic success at D2, they might merge down to D3 to save money.

I think one reason they'd stay at D2 is that the competition in the immediate area is better at that level. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png