NFL Says No to Pat Tillman Tribute

NewYawkSeahawk

um, is everyone missing the fact that they are threatening to fine him $5000. So what, there's 12 games left that's only $60,000. If he believes in this cause so much, make them look bad keep the sticker and write the check. The problem is that what most people believe in and what they're willing to pay for are two different things. What does he get paid, a couple of million?

Unfortunately, it's not just a $5,000 fine per week. It can get much more pricey. Some provisions from the NFL Constitution and other regulations that might aid the discussion:

19.6 All players of a team shall be uniformly and neatly attired for all games.  All players on the same team must wear the same color jersey, head guards and stockings, except that a club, at its option, may permit all eligible pass receivers to wear a different color head gear than the rest of the team.  If a different color is worn by any eligible pass receiver of a club, all of the eligible receivers must wear the same color.  Players must wear stockings in all games.  The Commissioner must approve in advance any changes in the colors of the club.  Every player appearing on the field during the game or in any pre-game workout must wear his complete game outfit exclusive of pads and helmet.

And the specific rule the NFL would use to thwart the Tillman tribute effort:

(D) No club shall have the right to make changes in its club colors and/or in the designs of its team helmets or uniforms except in accordance with the following provisions:

(1) If a club desires to make changes in club colors, designs of team helmets, designs of team uniforms, trademarks, or trade names, it must give written notice and details thereof to the League on or before September 1 of the year prior to the year in which it wishes to change and further must obtain approval from the League pursuant to Section 19.9(D)(2) by October 1 of the year prior to the year in which it wishes to change; otherwise it shall have no right to make any change for the succeeding season.

NFL FINE SCHEDULE, 2004

Fines listed are minimums unless otherwise specified.  Other forms of discipline, including higher fines, suspension and banishment may also be imposed, based on the circumstances of the particular violation.

Uniform

Other Uniform/Equipment Violation:

First offense - $ 5,000

Second offense - $ 10,000

Third and subsequent offenses - determined by Commissioner, but in no case less than 200% of the previous fine administered.

So in other words, at minimum, it'd be a progressive fine ($ 5,000/$ 10,000/$ 20,000/$ 40,000/$ 80,000) each week. Of course, after two weeks I think Tagliabue would simply suspend him.

nav-logo.png

eh. Yeah not fun. But this is the No Fun League. :P And yes NYSeahawk I did read, I was just suggesting that the fashion police might not catch it up on the front of the helmet, if he disguised it right. :D

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

if i were him, i'd probably wear it anyway, and get the fine...

from what i've read, gary anderson gets fined every game that he plays, because his facemask is grey on a blue-masked team... he doesn't want to change facemasks, because he's used to the old style one, and the old style ones don't come in blue... plus, they're rubber and can't be painted, so he just pays the fine.

i heard a few titans said they were going to keep the sticker on there, fine or not, anyway. was it bulluck? haynesworth?

Of course, after two weeks I think Tagliabue would simply suspend him.

There is absolutely no way they would suspend him. No way, the press on that would be horrendous. Oh yeah we suspended a guy because he kept the tribute sticker that we printed, we put there and we milked for attention, to honor his heroic friend. Please. No way. On this one the NFL would back down very, very quickly. What this guy should do is find 10 other guys to get on board with him, also in wouldn't hurt to get a bonafide superstar like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning to join in.

if i were him, i'd probably wear it anyway, and get the fine...

from what i've read, gary anderson gets fined every game that he plays, because his facemask is grey on a blue-masked team... he doesn't want to change facemasks, because he's used to the old style one, and the old style ones don't come in blue... plus, they're rubber and can't be painted, so he just pays the fine.

i heard a few titans said they were going to keep the sticker on there, fine or not, anyway. was it bulluck? haynesworth?

Im sure when I watched a game last year they said that Anderson was "grandfathered" to the rule... as he had it before the rules were made... much like craig mctavish never had to wear a helmet even after it was made manditory in the NHL... but maybe it was just the old style facemask they were talking about...

but as for the No Fun League... Im not sure why they cannot allow the sticker to stay for one season... let people grieve the way they want... im not sure why they cannot allow former teammates the option to honour their friend... yes Pat may have been a quiet guy with no intentions to bring attention to himself but people honour peoples they way they want... me and my brother honour the memory of our cousin all the time in sports his volleyball shoes and ball cleats have the initials LN written on the back... my hockey sticks and when i tape up for cheerleading have LN on them... its going to be 7 years this november and I still think about him and how much he means to me and how precious life is...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I think what would happen is that after enough players violate the rule, a mandate from the league would have all players wear the decal on their helmets again. If I read the rules correctly, it is a all-or-none situation (hence why they call them uniforms).

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

So, if all players start clipping each other, then they'll take that rule away too? How about Pass interference? Sharpies?

No. A rule is a rule, no matter what. Too bad. If I wanted to wear a patch on my work uniform that they didn't want, I'd have to remove it, or I'd get fired, no matter what the patch represented. Your uniform is what you wear to work. Your employer(s) decide how you wear it.

No. A rule is a rule, no matter what. Too bad. If I wanted to wear a patch on my work uniform that they didn't want, I'd have to remove it, or I'd get fired, no matter what the patch represented. Your uniform is what you wear to work. Your employer(s) decide how you wear it.

There's still the letter of the law and then the spirit of the law--I don't believe the rule was intended to prevent this sort of tribute--but to ban advertising, publicity for political causes, etc.

The NFL should realize this & let them wear the ones they already have--I can see them stopping a player from maling his uniform a Tillman shrine, but a simple sticker is no bif deal to allow--and means a lot to many players and fans...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

not that I disagree with honoring Tillman, but really, how much more good does it do to keep the sticker on and disobeying the league. I mean really, enough is enough, if someone really wants to help, like many mentioned before, donate some money. Really, I just cant see how someone wearing the sticker is helping the family or easing their pain away.

Doh!

Really, I just cant see how someone wearing the sticker is helping the family or easing their pain away.

I don't know--people take comfort in all sorts of things, and grieve in various ways...

I can see how it would help somebody, without the same thing helping me, or even agreeing...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

not that I disagree with honoring Tillman, but really, how much more good does it do to keep the sticker on and disobeying the league. I mean really, enough is enough, if someone really wants to help, like many mentioned before, donate some money. Really, I just cant see how someone wearing the sticker is helping the family or easing their pain away.

How does, let's say, putting up a statue of somebody that did something great help to relieve the pain from the family after said person passes away?

It's a tribute. That's all it's intended to be, and it does it quite nicely. It does the same thing as a memorial. In this case, I would think it would help put the game in perspective for some players as being just that, a game. It could also help the families in showing that they're not the only ones grieving his loss, and that their is an entire league of individuals who cared about Pat Tillman, not just as a teammate/football player -- but as a person and in a lot of cases, a friend.

Dunno, could be wrong. That's just my opinion but if it helps the players to feel better and to wear the sticker on their helmet -- who's it hurting?

IUe6Hvh.png

eh. Yeah not fun. But this is the No Fun League. :P And yes NYSeahawk I did read, I was just suggesting that the fashion police might not catch it up on the front of the helmet, if he disguised it right. :D

LOL.... yeah but your initial suggestion was exactly what the player had mentioned in the 2nd paragraph... LOL

Must be a long season with no hockey eh?

So, if all players start clipping each other, then they'll take that rule away too? How about Pass interference? Sharpies?

I agree. Don't like the rule? Change it.

The patch was nice while they did it, but its time is over.

For the record, I think it's tacky the way ballplayers scrawl numbers on a cap with a Sharpie, too. If it's that important, let the team create a tribute.

The uniform is not for personal statements, be they commercial or otherwise.

Archived