Where would they play?....

TBGKon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i HIGHLY DOUBT a world cup tournament games played at PPS. MLB still has a grudge with huzienga for his lies about building a baseball only stadium and the 2000 ASG.

it would be nice though, with the large latin community. maybe for the 2nd tournament the games could be played at the new home of the marlins. other than that miami ain't getting a world cup game.

1997 | 2003

Australia v Cuba in the final!!!!! we amatuers (except for a few players) did better at the Olympics than you professionals!!!!

What professionals?

aren't MLB players getting paid?? most of the Aussie side get's paid nothing or very little- we don't even have a national competition anymore (although one is starting up)

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Australia v Cuba in the final!!!!! we amatuers (except for a few players) did better at the Olympics than you professionals!!!!

What professionals?

aren't MLB players getting paid?? most of the Aussie side get's paid nothing or very little- we don't even have a national competition anymore (although one is starting up)

yes but there were no mlb players in the olympic games, it was the best non-mlbers.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

actually I think its non-union professionals. I don't even think very many AAA players play on our national team. Its mainly college and lower minor players. I could be completely wrong about that. I know there are no major leaguers however.

Aussie, we won every game in the Qualifier except the championship. That we lost by one run.

I really don't care for how qualifiers for team events are set up. Even in Track and Field you get 3 attempts for field events, a variety of races for your running events. Baseball was ment to be played in series. The Devil Rays can beat the Yankees on any given day. But over a 3 game series, the Yankees 90% of the time come out on top. Hell, I even hate 5 game series for division playoffs. Gives a team with 2 good pitchers the advantage over a solid staff. I'd rather see all playoffs at 7 games. Ok, that was kinda a rant. I'm sorry. I'm embarrassed...

Chicago? A baseball city? When was their last championship? Where's St. Louis in all this discussion? :P

Last I heard, there were going to be 16 teams in this World Cup. Here's how I would structure the tournament:

Prelims: Begin the Friday after the Super Bowl. 4 groups of 4 teams. Play 3 games against each other team in your group. Best record in each group advances to playoffs.

Playoffs: #1 group winner vs. #4 group winner, and #2 vs. #3 in best-of-? series, then winners advance to play in best-of-? series. I don't know how long to make these, because I'd like to finish before spring training starts, and I don't know when that is.

San Diego could work, with the new ballpark down there. Houston could also work, as could Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Toronto, Milwaukee, and maybe Minneapolis in a pinch. Pretty much, anywhere that either has a roof or no snow on the ground.

VmWIn6B.png

PCGD: Why St. Louis? If you want to use "championships" as a line then we should go to:

Miami, Arizona, New York, Atlanta, & Minnesota.

I didn't really mean because of championships, Because its a great Baseball town. But the smiley means I was kidding. Busch isn't really a great stadium. Now the new Busch would be...

Don't forget the Cardinals have the second most championships though! :)

I really don't care where they play, I just want it to happen!! and soon!

PCGD: Why St. Louis? If you want to use "championships" as a line then we should go to:

Miami, Arizona, New York, Atlanta, & Minnesota.

I didn't really mean because of championships, Because its a great Baseball town. But the smiley means I was kidding. Busch isn't really a great stadium. Now the new Busch would be...

I really don't care where they play, I just want it to happen!! and soon!

I would only be scared if it was Busch Stadium, Coors Field, and Miller Park.

(Note: I can't remember, isn't Coors Field in Denver?)

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I really don't care where they play, I just want it to happen!!  and soon!

you are TIED for second most with the a's with the a's having themost recent one (1989).

That's still second. Most in the NL. I'm not saying it should be determined by championships at all. All I'm saying is most of the players and baseball experts say that St. Louis is one of the best cities to play in, and one of the best baseball towns.

Ken Griffey Jr. said if he didn't hit his 500th homer in Cincy, he was glad he hit in St. Louis.

Why would you be scared by games in St. Louis? I understand the fears of Miller Park however. :) Trust me, I've been there. Its a great stadium, but it just doesn't feel right. Coors is a nice place though.

I'd love to see a World Cup in the Cathedrals of Baseball. Fenway, Wrigley, and Yankee Stadium. But those are all northern Cities and unfortantly its cold when they want to do it. I wouldn't want them in domes like Tropicana, but retractable stadiums would be good. Minute Maid, Bank One, Pac Bell (or whatever its called now) and then Dodger Stadium would be my ideal choices. You've got two where the weather wouldn't matter, one with a Rich History, and the last is probably the best of the "new" stadiums in my opinion.

Someone said Pheniox wasn't a good baseball town, its held Spring Training for years! There are huge baseball fans down there.

Anyway, go World Cup!

If we have it at Coors, Miller, and Busch, then we should re-name the "beer cup" which scares me.

(tough crowd)

Anyway, I would prefer them to play in one of the 4 different areas..out west, down south, up north, and in a general direction midwest.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

If we have it at Coors, Miller, and Busch, then we should re-name the "beer cup" which scares me.

(tough crowd)

Anyway, I would prefer them to play in one of the 4 different areas..out west, down south, up north, and in a general direction midwest.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED THE BEER REFERENCE!!!

Man, I'm slipping. If its in Miller Park at all, I'd call it the Bud Bowl.....

SWISH!

Just in case, I ment Selig.

2 words....4 decks. There are 4 seperate seating levels around the field stacked right on top of each other. Its a fun place to see a game, there is tailgating in the parking lot even on a tuesday or wednesday. But inside it just doesn't feel right.

we average 1.5 million people at ballparks every year during Spring Training, people from all over North America come to Phoenix/Tucson every year to see their favorite team. So for someone saying that Phoenix isn't a true baseball town is tripping we have been hosting teams from all over the country for spring training for many years. To say that we cannot hold a World Cup of Baseball is ridiculous, look at all the Spring Training Venues they can practice at. Plus we have the B.O.B or C.O.B or whatever they will turn the name into. Perfect weather, nothing but golf for some of the baseball players, and plenty of partying to go around.

Archived