Colts' Thanksgiving Throwbacks

sj32

The Colts will wear their 1956 jerseys when they play the Lions in Detroit on Thanksgiving. These jerseys are white with three blue stripes on the sleeve - ala the Montana Era 49ers. In the name of modernization, they moved the TV numbers from the sleeves to the shoulders. The helmet is white with a single blue stripe down the middle with the two blue horseshoes on the back of the helmet. Here's the story and a picture from The Indianapolis Star.

That's cool and all, but any news on what the Bears are gonna wear vs. the Cowboys on Thanksgiving? Please oh please God let them wear the striped unis like the ones they wore in 1994.

Not bad. I too would have liked the blue helmet, but that's probably unrealistic. These are likely the regular helmets with different decals.

I hope Reebok handles this better than they did the Packers' throwbacks last year. They never made Authentic versions available for purchase. Fans had to buy versions with screened numbers.

Don't know why they did it. The previous time the Packers wore throwbacks was Thanksgiving 2001, when the Packers wore 1939 uniforms. The Authentic jerseys were so popular they sold out before the game was even played. I missed out, and had to buy a Brett Favre team-issued one (not game worn, unfortunately) on eBay a couple years later. That's still the pride of my collection.

Back in 56 did all the Colts were plastic blue facemasks, because I have seen pictures of Johnny U with a blue single bar mask. If that was the team standard in 56 I would hope the Thanksgiving game would have them as well.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

I have a feeling the helmet will be the current year's helmet and mask just with different decals. That's the way teams seem to be doing when going old school. The Lions are a good example of this. They just strip the helmet since their throwbacks are pre-modern helmet era. They used to have blue masks, then last year when they changed their current logo, they had black masks on the throwback.

A minor issue, but would be nice to see teams go the whole 9 yards and look authentic.

I was unhappy when I saw the Colts would play on Thanksgiving, since their uniform has changed so little over the years. That's why I was excited to see the Pats, Broncos, etc. the past few years, since they've changed looks drastically over the years.

I wonder how well that will this will sit with some of the old Baltimore Colts fans. I never followed them (I wasn't old enough). However I remember alot of people here were mad when Tony Dungy was wearing a jacket that said "Indianapolis Colts Est. 1953". 

Good point. I wonder if they will say "The Colts are wearing the uniforms of the 1956 Baltimore Colts." Or just, "Indy is dressed in their 1956 unis."

Either one works. They're not the only team to do it - the Brewers do a Seattle Pilots throwback every couple of years.

Then there are all the teams that have done Negro League throwbacks, putting on the uniforms of another team altogether. The Mets, Royals, Orioles, Brewers, Tigers, and who else? Probably lots more.

Archived