ALCS

JQK

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I watched my Twins lose this series, one thing occured to me. They could play a five or seven game series for the next 10 years and NY would win them all. Not just because of the payroll (though that is a contributor), but:

The Twins cannot beat the Yankees. The Yankees know it. And more importantly the Twins know it. So if they meet next year (though look for Cleveland to represent the Central), going in the Twins and Yankees will both know that the Twins cannot beat them. It's the whole "Yankee mystique" thing.

Now for the ALCS. The Red Sox cannot beat the Yankees. The Yankees know it and the Red Sox know it. I would love to see Boston, and their very deserving fans, get a world championship. But there is no way they beat the yanks.

Fortunately, the national league teams (and for some reason the Angels who play them tough in regular season and postseason) don't necessarily have this inferiority complex.

So, for the seventh time in nine years, the world series will involve the New York Yankees. Wow. Exciting.

It was very nice to see the best player of the Twins/Yanks series be A-Rod. It's quite good for baseball that the Yankees were able to add him to their mosterous payroll (and have those idiots from Texas pay for much of it). It's very good for baseball that they have the two best shortstops in baseball. Early 2005 prediction--Carlos Beltran and the Yankees will be back in the World Series.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

snap out of it man, have you lost it??? I was just referring to the last stement, I tend to agree with the the first parts, sadly.

I am not a fan of the economics of baseball. I will be accused of picking a convenient time to bring it up, which I did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

The Twins cannot beat the Yankees. The Yankees know it. And more importantly the Twins know it. So if they meet next year (though look for Cleveland to represent the Central), going in the Twins and Yankees will both know that the Twins cannot beat them. It's the whole "Yankee mystique" thing.

Funny you should bring that up, check out my new sig. And I didn't make that in response to you. You just happened to make that comment about the mystic right after I finished the sig.

The Twins cannot beat the Yankees.  The Yankees know it.  And more importantly the Twins know it.  So if they meet next year (though look for Cleveland to represent the Central), going in the Twins and Yankees will both know that the Twins cannot beat them.  It's the whole "Yankee mystique" thing.

Funny you should bring that up, check out my new sig. And I didn't make that in response to you. You just happened to make that comment about the mystic right after I finished the sig.

You misspelled ghost.

Unless there's some kind of gost I'm missing out on at the Stadium.

Ouch. It's probably been a tough day in Minneapolis. If there are any Michigan or New York natives in the Twin Cities area right now, I'd get out before fans frustration turns violent. . .

Kidding. Kidding.

However, I did want to make two points. First, the Boston fans are not deprived. They've won two of the past three Super Bowls and I believe ESPN's Bill Simmons wrote that winning a championship in one sport should bar you from whining about another.

Secondly, lets not make this a payroll/small market issue. If it were, the Twins wouldn't be in the playoffs at all. New York spends money for a good team, and the last time I checked, that was the way it's supposed to be. I'm a diehard Royals fan rooting for the Twins in the postseason, but I'd kill to be a Yankee fan.

First, the Boston fans are not deprived. They've won two of the past three Super Bowls and I believe ESPN's Bill Simmons wrote that winning a championship in one sport should bar you from whining about another.

I've been in New England the last two years and, compared to the Midwest, it is bigger on Baseball and college hoops and not as big on football. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of excited people about the Pats, but go to the Bars and ask people how that compares in importance to a World Series championship and most would say it is not even close.

POTD (Shared)

Secondly, lets not make this a payroll/small market issue. If it were, the Twins wouldn't be in the playoffs at all. New York spends money for a good team, and the last time I checked, that was the way it's supposed to be. I'm a diehard Royals fan rooting for the Twins in the postseason, but I'd kill to be a Yankee fan.

I won't continue to make it an issue, because it should be its own topic and the fact is, the Twins just did not get it done. Gardenhire made a couple of questionable decisions with his pitching staff and they did not make the big plays or hits (save for game 1 when they made the big defensive plays.)

Gardenhire and the pitch staff--

Game 2. I was screaming to not use Nathan for a third inning. I know that the bullpen is not a who's who of pitching, but I thought he needed to show more confidence in it and not go out and kill Nathan. Nathan is one guy that certainly cannot be blamed for that loss.

Game 4. You gotta put yourself in position to get a full start out of Santana. If he is gonna pull him after five innings (alot of pitches, but he was still effective and could have gone one or two more), then save him for game 5 when you can use him fully. Yeah, I am sure they lose without him, but he is being under-utilized when you feel you have to pull him early because of the 3-day rest thing.

POTD (Shared)

This thread hilariously highlights the self-loathing, love-hate relationship that goes on in Minnesota with its Sports Franchises.

We love them with a sence of knowing they are going to fail, like a parent who loans money to their 30 year old son who lives in the basement for a get rich quick scheme. You know, like the lottery, theres a chance, but deep down you understand your probably just going to end up feeling alienated and cheated. So you feign interest, get excited when a couple good returns come in, then get a bad shower of reality once things set in.

But, im bitter but its the yankees. They got those ghosts, or just the collective will of a couple million people in NY expecting greatness. Whatever, it generally leaves our twinks looking like a team 1/3 the talent.

It sucks, you want to hate the Yankees, but you have to give it to them, its generally NOT derek Jeter who makes that memorable play in those tough games. Sure Reggie hit 3 in a game that was reasonably close, jeters relay was amazing in oakland, but its the bucky dents, the aaron boones, the ruben sierras, that end up hurting people in the playoffs.

But dont get me wrong, im now on the boston bandwagon. Gimmie a reverse the curse shirt and a negative attitude....wait got the last one. We practice it well in MN

Archived