Saints Owner Threatens to move to LA

paynomind

Saints owner threatening to move without stadium fix-up, other treats

By MATT WINKELJOHN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/19/04

It's too early to be sure, but when the Falcons travel to New Orleans on Christmas afternoon before a Dec. 26 game, it might be one of the last trips they make as a team to the Big Easy. Or maybe not.

In the NFL, it's rarely long between threats made by one team owner or another to take his toy (team), and leave if he doesn't get what he wants (a new stadium, or more free money, or a way to make more money).

Tom Benson's at it again. The Saints owner this week told city and state officials that he wants his, or else.

Amid whispers that Benson wouldn't mind moving his team to Los Angeles, he said, "I don't want to move. I don't want to sell. We have three choices: We can build a new stadium, extend and enhance our current agreement, or tell us to leave. And we have to do this by early next year."

Benson's already getting dump trucks of cash inducements from the state of Louisiana (about $81 million in the past four seasons) to keep his team around after previous poor-mouthing about the Superdome and the fact it's a poor revenue producer relative to many other NFL venues.

This week, he gave a Feb. 1 deadline for city and state officials to decide whether to build a new stadium, or "enhance" the team's agreement with the state.

All Benson wants in that enhancement is a $168 million Superdome renovation, adjustments to their mutual deal through 2020 that would eliminate the state's escape clauses but include annual payments from the state, and a 25-acre tailgate park near the dome.

Oh, and he also wants a state-operated multi-sport facility, separate development of eight acres near team headquarters (where he wants to build a hotel, and a Saints Hall of Fame), and a sports-themed redevelopment of the mall connected to the dome.

And Benson said he can't pay for any of it. He thinks he might get the NFL to pitch in about $40 million.

Does this sound like what a man wants to stay, or a man trying to get the boot?

With Los Angeles officials working diligently to make their city viable again for a team, the league is looking at a situation akin to what it had when former Browns owner Art Modell had when he stole away, moving his team to Baltimore after the '95 season.

Cleveland was desperate to land another team, putting together a package for a wonderful lakefront stadium, etc. Many other teams used that -- some publicly, some tacitly -- to get more from their communities in exchange for not moving to Cleveland.

In "Glory for Sale," a book about Modell moving his team, reporter/author Jon Morgan wrote, "Directly or indirectly, the Browns' relocation caused stadiums to be built for the Ravens, the Redskins, the Bengals, the Browns, the Bucs, the Lions and the Seahawks. The impact of the Browns move on taxpayers nationally was staggering."

As Los Angeles becomes more viable, there could be a similar affect.

L.A. is giving Benson leverage, or a landing pad.

Meanwhile, taxpayers in Louisiana don't have the green for a renovation, let alone a far more expensive new stadium.

The state had to borrow $7 million from a special economic development fund last year to make its $15 million payment to the team.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said any money for renovations or a new Saints contract, "should be generated in the greater New Orleans region," and not by the entire state.

Blanco also told reporters it is, "impossible" for the state to renovate the Dome and keep making annual payments to the team.

"That is getting unaffordable," she said. "I believe the franchise should help pay for these renovations and that the state's lease with the team should be restructured to move away from paying cash inducements and toward providing the team with enhanced opportunities to earn revenues in a renovated Superdome."

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, Benson's gonna get it. Even though they've been extremely futile in their history, Nawlins loves their team, and if Benson moves it, I think the souls of the graveyard that the Superdome was built on are gonna rise up and attack, attack, ATTACK!!!

Or maybe just move to LA unopposed, who knows :P

But in all seriousness, I think Benson is bluffing again because he's threatened moving the Saints SO many times, and the last time he was hollering about moving, he threatened to move them to Harrison County, Mississippi, and build his idea there. Based on that, and his ludicrous claims, I don't think they're going anywhere.

Saints and Angels all in one market. Another sign of the apocalypse, the heavens are concentrating their forces. :P

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Saints and Angels all in one market. Another sign of the apocalypse, the heavens are concentrating their forces. :P

Especially funny when LA County was just forced to remove Christian references in its seal by the ACLU.

VmWIn6B.png

Benson wants to build a New Orleans Saints Hall of FAME?

:grin::D:lol:

Oh, man... that's rich. Easily, the funniest thing that I've heard or read in weeks. I mean, how much room do you need to display Archie Manning's first signed contract and his game-worn jersey?

Thanks for the laughs, Tom.

A New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame... that's priceless.

New Orleans is starting too look like a bad spot for sports do they really ever get good fan support there, true they have always stunk but teh Sinats are alwaya an after thought in the NFL.

The Superdome is a dungeon a more univiting stadium I cant imagine there is zero charm in that place.

LA needs a team

I say the Saints should star singing California here we come.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Benson wants to build a New Orleans Saints Hall of FAME?

:grin::D:lol:

Oh, man... that's rich. Easily, the funniest thing that I've heard or read in weeks. I mean, how much room do you need to display Archie Manning's first signed contract and his game-worn jersey?

Thanks for the laughs, Tom.

A New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame... that's priceless.

I'm glad someone else thought that outrageously funny, cuz I sure did!

It's where I sit.

It's good to see the fans getting screwed again. Yet another display of "We don't give a :censored: about you"

Where was that sentiment from you in the Montreal situation :P

There were no fans to get screwed......

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It's good to see the fans getting screwed again. Yet another display of "We don't give a :censored: about you"

Where was that sentiment from you in the Montreal situation :P

There were no fans to get screwed......

Ah Kinger -- we shan't go there again, but you know that you're wrong.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Agreed, CC.

I can count on my one hand how many members of the New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame are now in that honorable hall. It's a well-known fact that they can't sell out regular season games when they're losing, how many fans will turn out in L. A. when they lose a lot of games?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

SAINTS HALL OF FAME!!!

"Archie Manning.

"Ricky Williams [strictly in the wedding dress.]

"Mike Ditka [strictly in the dreadlocks.]

"Jim 'Diddly Poo' Mora Sr.

"And that's about it."

Geez, do I smell something burning, because someone - namely Tom Benson - just got FLAMED!!!

In addition I'd like to add Kyle Turley for his helmet toss a few years ago.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

SAINTS HALL OF FAME!!!

Archie Manning

Ricky Williams {Strictly in the wedding dress}

Mike Ditka {Strictly in the dreadlocks}

Jim "Diddly Poo" Mora Sr.

And that's about it

Jim Taylor ended his HOF career in N'Orleans so did former Bears great Doug Atkins

Also

You had all Pros like Sam Mills, Morten Andersen, Ricky Jackson, Danny Abramowicz, and lets not forget about Bum Phillips, there are pleanty of Hall of Famers enough to fill the bathroom in Canton.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

SAINTS HALL OF FAME!!!

Archie Manning

Ricky Williams {Strictly in the wedding dress}

Mike Ditka {Strictly in the dreadlocks}

Jim "Diddly Poo" Mora Sr.

And that's about it

Jim Taylor ended his HOF career in N'Orleans so did former Bears great Doug Atkins

Also

You had all Pros like Sam Mills, Morten Andersen, Ricky Jackson, Danny Abramowicz, and lets not forget about Bum Phillips, there are pleanty of Hall of Famers enough to fill the bathroom in Canton.

:lol: BAH HA HA HA, the bathroom... BAH HA HA HA

Archived