N F L Europe expands to Hamburg, Germany...

Brian in Boston

Hamburg, Germany has been awarded an expansion franchise in NFL Europe.

The team, to be known as the Hamburg Sea Devils, will play in the 55,000-seat AOL Arena. The facility is currently home to the Hamburg SV professional soccer franchise.

The team name apparently draws upon NFL Europe's plan to forge a cooperative agreement with the management of the Hamburg Blue Devils, one of the most successful German domestic gridiron teams. NFL Europe Managing Director Jim Connelly and Hamburg Blue Devils General Manager Karsten Steffens have both pledged that the two teams will work together in building the future of American football in the German marketplace.

European fans will be given the opportunity to select the team's logo in conjunction with Bild Zeitung, Europe's best-selling newspaper.

It's sad really... this steady, annual retrenchment from a truly European league to one which seems hell-bent on being based solely in Germany.

Still, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. American football has always had its most rabid participatory following in Germany, even prior to the launch of the old World League of American Football. NFL owners, now faced with making a decision as to whether they want to continue funding the league, have obviously decided to concentrate on placing teams in markets that have the best chance of drawing fans year in and year out. Germany, given its support for the sport even on a purely amateur level, is where the NFL brass believes these markets exist.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Amsterdam moved to a market such as Munich in the not-to-distant future.

cool, something to talk about in german class today..... something about sport and something differnet to drawing footy (Aussie Rules) and soccer grounds and jerseys/Guernseys..... after a few months learning it and falling asleep for most of the lessons i know one word..... shiesenhousin but i can't spell it....

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I was going to say what's next? A team in Munich? They'll probably play at the Olympiastadion.

And to think all those teams in different countries, Spain had the Dragons, England had the Monarchs, and Scotland had the Claymores, and Quebec had the Machine.

Now it's all going to Germany. It's like World War II all over again, where every country fell to Germany, only this time, it's for the business of the sport.

Sieg heil!

I was going to say what's next? A team in Munich? They'll probably play at the Olympiastadion.

And to think all those teams in different countries, Spain had the Dragons, England had the Monarchs, and Scotland had the Claymores, and Quebec had the Machine.

Now it's all going to Germany. It's like World War II all over again, where every country fell to Germany, only this time, it's for the business of the sport.

Sieg heil!

Well if it were France losing the teams, yes...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Sieg heil!

Well if it were France losing the teams, yes...

Well, Germany did contribute forces to the Spanish Civil War, and they did take the Spanish team...

VmWIn6B.png

Archived