Willingham Fired

CaolinaJoe

Notre Dame fired Ty Willingham even though he has a winning record.

If the University expects any coach to return ND to the national powerhouse status it once held it will have to relax the academic standards they have in place. Not that that is a good idea, but they a recruiting at a disadvantage. It will be impossible for any coach they hire to achieve what the boosters want.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the University expects any coach to return ND to the national powerhouse status it once held it will have to relax the academic standards they have in place. Not that that is a good idea, but they a recruiting at a disadvantage. It will be impossible for any coach they hire to achieve what the boosters want.

I miss the good old days when colleges and universities were for educating people and having a great intercollegiate athletics department was just a bonus.

If the University expects any coach to return ND to the national powerhouse status it once held it will have to relax the academic standards they have in place.  Not that that is a good idea, but they a recruiting at a disadvantage.  It will be impossible for any coach they hire to achieve what the boosters want.

I miss the good old days when colleges and universities were for educating people and having a great intercollegiate athletics department was just a bonus.

I agree with you. But, he wasn't fired for his graduation rate.

semperfi.gif

I agree with you. But, he wasn't fired for his graduation rate.

Oh I know. And I know you know how I feel. It just blows my mind how much of a precedence sports takes. One need to look no further than the Cincinnati Bearcat basketball graduation rate to see that.

The NBA & NFL need to start a farm system for kids out of HS and stop using the NCAA for that purpose, especially the NFL.

The NBA at least now takes kids straight out of HS. While not good, at least a student/athlete who cares about an education can now get that scholarship.

semperfi.gif

Why does Notre Dame even have to return to "be a national powerhouse"? They get a bowl invite every year, and they barely have to win 5 games. Notre Dame, at 6-5, will be given a bowl invitation (not sure which one, mid-tier I think) over an 8-3 team, simply because it's "Notre Dame".

If the NCAA wants to bring back its standards of academic excellence, it needs to stop letting athletic organizations award schools money for name recognition over academic (and in some cases, athletic) achievement.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Why does Notre Dame even have to return to "be a national powerhouse"? They get a bowl invite every year, and they barely have to win 5 games. Notre Dame, at 6-5, will be given a bowl invitation (not sure which one, mid-tier I think) over an 8-3 team, simply because it's "Notre Dame".

Well, the difference between a mid tier bowl's monetary take and a BCS calibre game's can differ as much as tenfold and with no other conference schools to share the loot, I can see how maintaining a powerhouse program would be relevant to the golden domers.

And ordinarily you'd have a point regarding ND's ability to leapfrog a team with a better record to get into a better bowl, but this isn't the year to be using that example. Because the major conferences have so few bowl-eligible teams this year, the non-BCS conferences which are usually limited to one guaranteed invite are finding more teams getting asked to play in bowls. Even the Sun Belt is going to have two teams bowling this year.

Georgia Tech is at a similar disadvantage.. you barely have to read to get into "State Name" schools like Tennesee, Georgia, Florida, etc, etc... but at places like Notre Dame and Georgia Tech, etc.. you have to be a student.

Colleges need to realize what they are - a stepping stone to the pros. Most kids dont make it, but quite a few are only there to try and go pro.

Now, once they realize it, what should they do? Well.. many choices, relax standards, create "science of sports field maintenance" degrees, get out of 1-A competition, get out of sports alltogether, etc.

Shame there were such unrealistic expecations on Willingham. I'd be glad to have him at my university.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

They are playing in the Insight Bowl. Against the #4 Pac-10 team, whomever that is(looks like Oreegon State or ASU).

They got selected over the #3 Team in the Big East, whomever that is(at the moment looks like Pitt). If I were a Bowl Committee, I would want what ND fans bring financially to a bowl game over what the #3 Big East team can bring. Afterall the game is in Arizona.

Alumni and National Fan base is why ND was locked into the BCS. They generate the dollars that the Bowl sites are looking for. Not to mention the ratings that sponsors want.

semperfi.gif

If you ask me, it's another case of The Man keeping the brothers down.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

As long as Notre Dame's students are required to take Calculus during freshman year, whether they're a football player or not, and require the classes and perfomance in those classes in High School to show that they could be successful in a freshman year calculus class, Notre Dame football will not be in the top 10 any time soon.

Look at the top 3 teams, how many football players on USC, Auburn, and Oklahoma took, or are taking, calculus as a freshman?

Personally, I'm suprised that Willingham was fired -- I heard somewhere that Notre Dame has never gotten rid of a coach before his contract is up, or something like that.

IUe6Hvh.png

As long as Notre Dame's students are required to take Calculus during freshman year, whether they're a football player or not, and require the classes and perfomance in those classes in High School to show that they could be successful in a freshman year calculus class, Notre Fame football will not be in the top 10 any time soon.

Look at the top 3 teams, how many football players on USC, Auburn, and Oklahoma took, or are taking, calculus as a freshman?

Personally, I'm suprised that Willingham was fired -- I heard somewhere that Notre Dame has never gotten rid of a coach before his contract is up, or something like that.

So the downfall of all football programs is Calculus? ^_^ I guess algebra would make things easier for football players, huh?

About, Notre Dame's record. With the record that they had, I'd say it's reasonable considering Notre Dame's schedule is insane. Could you really blame Willingham for that? They had what? USC, Michigan, Tennessee, Boston College etc. etc. I'd like to see how Utah would fare with the schedule that Notre Dame has to put up with every year.

I saw, I came, I left.

As long as Notre Dame's students are required to take Calculus during freshman year, whether they're a football player or not, and require the classes and perfomance in those classes in High School to show that they could be successful in a freshman year calculus class, Notre Fame football will not be in the top 10 any time soon.

So the downfall of all football programs is Calculus? ^_^ I guess algebra would make things easier for football players, huh?

About, Notre Dame's record. With the record that they had, I'd say it's reasonable considering Notre Dame's schedule is insane. Could you really blame Willingham for that? They had what? USC, Michigan, Tennessee, Boston College etc. etc. I'd like to see how Utah would fare with the schedule that Notre Dame has to put up with every year.

My point wasn't referring directly to calculus, it was to prove a point -- I didn't say the 'downfall of all programs is calculus' -- my point was that Notre Dame expects to have high academic standards, and a winning football program -- it's going to be very tough finding top football players who are even qualified to attend Notre Dame. And if there's a top football player who expects to go pro, some day and isn't just using football to get a scholarship at a good college -- do you think they'll choose the school with the extremely high academic standards?

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived