Rhubarbs Logo

BallWonk

Finally worked up the courage to submit my fantasy team's logo and unis for comments and criticism. The team is the Rhijnspoorplein Rhubarbs (thus the funny word on the bottom right of the logo) but will probably become the Springfield or Rappahannock or something Rhubarbs in 2005.

barbslogo-0904.png

barbsunis-0904.jpg

20082614447.png

Here's how I came up with the Rhubarbs logo and unis.

I designed the script with the idea of using the R for the cap and underlining the "barbs" part of the name, since that is the team's nickname. I then realized that I had inadvertently made something very like the Brewers. But I like the Brewers' script, so I decided to adopt Milwaukee's outline-drop-shadow style. Except that instead of just dropping the shadow down and right, I took it down and back to give the script some depth.

For colors, I settled on dark green (similar shade to the A's or Rays) and a fairly light red. I didn't want to go all the way to pink, but I wanted colors that bring to mind the contrast between a rhubarb stalk's dark leaves and bright stalk.

I played with several R-in-a-circle logos, in the Twins or Rangers vein, but nothing satisfied. In the meantime, I adopted the slogan of ".506 or Fight!" for the 2004 season and designed a cartoon fighting player to go with the motto on my league e-mails. I call him "Rube," and he's supposed to look like he might be a long-discarded Rhubarbs logo from like the late 1940s or something. Kind of like Cincy's baseball-head guy.

In a chocolate-in-my-peanut-butter moment, I decided to try incorporating the cartoon guy with the script for a logo. I don't know if it's any good - you all will tell me just how poor it really is - but it's far better than anything else I'd come up with.

As for the uniforms, I swear that I originally settled on tan road unis in 2003, months before I heard about the Padres' plans for 2004. I thought it would be distinctive to use tan for the road unis, and I meant it as an homage to the Phillies of my youth with their powder-blues. Now, of course, it just looks like the Padres. As for alternates, I'm sort of against them. Especially at home; if I ran baseball any team wearing a dark shirt in its own ballpark would have to play as the visiting team - gray pants, visitor's locker room, and batting first every inning. Just to see how it would look, I made green and red road alts, and not entirely hating them I designated the darker green for spring and fall use and the lighter red for summer wear. These aren't true alternate jerseys, just shirts of a different color.

20082614447.png

It really does look like the Brewers' logo, so if that was your intention, you nailed it. I think I would create a logo with the fruit/vegetable and some sort of baseball reference to hammer home the team name. Some people think "Rube" is another term for an absolute idiot.

I dig the colors. Definitely stay away from pink.

By any chance, is there a team in your league named the Pomegranates? That'd be a helluva battle of fruit/vegetables.

Cards.png

It really does look like the Brewers' logo, so if that was your intention, you nailed it.  I think I would create a logo with the fruit/vegetable and some sort of baseball reference to hammer home the team name.  Some people think "Rube" is another term for an absolute idiot.

I dig the colors.  Definitely stay away from pink.

By any chance, is there a team in your league named the Pomegranates?  That'd be a helluva battle of fruit/vegetables.

Yeah, the Brewers thing was accidental at first, but when I realized the similarity of the basic letter shapes I sort of ran with it.

No Pomegranates, but we do have the Ann Arbor Basselopes.

One of my early designs had a blocky script, behind which on the right side was a green rhubarb leaf and a red stalk forming the underline. But it just looked to me like someone spilled green ink under the script, and I couldn't get it right. Early variations looked like this:

barbslogo-leaf.png

barbslogo-circle.png

20082614447.png

How about changing the colors so you don't look like Christmas presents?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

You know what--I like it--and it takes in 2 of 3 meanings I've heard for rhubarb (I've also heard it as a synonym for a certain meaning of raspberry--but that's very minor--and may be a malapropism that took hold among certain people.)

The colours fit--and Christmas doesn't have a monopoly on red & green-

Done well, as here and with the Minnesota Wild-I like red & green--done poorly--as with the original New Jersey Devils unis--ugh...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I really like this concept. The colours are Rhubarby and fine imo... the red isn't too pink, although the green might be a tad washed out.

I like the comic character figure, but I preferred the other rhubarb plant logo, and that nice secondary with the baseball behind it.

liverpool-1.png

It's different..I really like it.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I'm digging it...

Real original, a little tongue-in-cheek, which, let's face it, is what Fantasy Sports is all about.

I don't know how good your illustration skills are, or if you have access to someone who can do good cartooning, but I'd love to see a secondary logo as a Mascot-type character, sorta like a Veggietale. (hey maybe even the potential for a contest here...)

veggie11pn.gif

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Wow, that is the most muscular baseball player I've ever seen...

Seriously though, the concept looks great. I have one little idea...

I understand the red wordmark on the Spring/Fall alternate, but on the road jersey, I think you should leave the normal Rhubarbs wordmark(green letters, red outline). I could be wrong, but the red-on-beige is wouldn't look too nice if it was an actual jersey. I think if you can avoid having four different wordmarks on four different jerseys, you should...

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Wow, that is the most muscular baseball player I've ever seen...

Seriously though, the concept looks great. I have one little idea...

I understand the red wordmark on the Spring/Fall alternate, but on the road jersey, I think you should leave the normal Rhubarbs wordmark(green letters, red outline). I could be wrong, but the red-on-beige is wouldn't look too nice if it was an actual jersey. I think if you can avoid having four different wordmarks on four different jerseys, you should...

I tend to agree about the many different wordmarks.

I would say avoid the green on red, red on green, it "jumps" too much.

I would stick to 2 Wordmarks: Green (red drop shadow) for White and beige and Beige (with Green drop shadow on red, and Red on Green).

You want to make it a little funnier?

Make it Red pin-striped pants with the Green top; you have the visual representation of a Rhubarb.

:D

The more I look at this concept, the more I dig it!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I'm diggin this concept....

The color scheme's a bit out of the ordinary, but I think the logo and script wordmark sell it...

Very cool indeed B)

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Veggies rule!

Anyone see "Sumo of the Opera" yet?

It's sports related--and a great "Rocky" spoof--with some other movies thrown in...

I love Veggietales!

So --seen Sumo yet?

And I've already gone on record that I like this concept/idea...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived