City Pride project

The_Admiral

It ought to be a rule in the majors, I feel. Okay here I slapped these together in about two minutes. Props to Gothamite for the awesome LA Angels script.

baltimore+road.JPG

Brewersroad.JPG

LAangels+road.JPG

philly+road.JPG

st+louis+road.JPG

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think a block style "PHILA" (similiar to the old Warriors / Sixers) would work for the Phillies. IMO "PHILADELPHIA" is way too much for a jersey. I know it is the same letters as San Fransisco, but SF just looks good on a shirt for some reason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think a block style "PHILA" (similiar to the old Warriors / Sixers) would work for the Phillies. IMO "PHILADELPHIA" is way too much for a jersey. I know it is the same letters as San Fransisco, but SF just looks good on a shirt for some reason.

"Philly" wouldn't be bad either IMO

"Philly" wouldn't be bad either IMO

I don't really like that idea, since that is just a nickname for the city. I don't even really like it when people refer to Philadelphia as Philly. I guess I'm just a little more formal than most.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore switches now that Washington has a team

Actually as far as I know they are not switching. I've heard rumors that Angelos has said as long as he is the owner Baltimore will not go onto the road jerseys. Which is a shame, every fan of the O's I know wants it on there.

It's not as if Bill from Bethesda is going to feel like the Orioles betrayed him by wearing "Baltimore" for road games. I think it's uncreative and crappy for a team to just have a white and grey version of the same uniform. Maybe people would buy greys with "Baltimore" rather than what just looks like a worn out dirty home jersey.

There's absolutley no reason for it to be a rule. It's okay to have exceptions.

And the Cards really don't need to make the change. Not a knock on you or your design (as I think the St. Louis on the bat is a cool concept), but they look awesome and there is tradition.

Plus, they have the STL on their caps. They don't need St. Louis on their jerseys.

i think it should be a rule in every sport, at least an unwritten one, and yes, that means if you are an football team and you have a wordmark under your collar, it should have the city name on your road jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

There's absolutley no reason for it to be a rule. It's okay to have exceptions.

And the Cards really don't need to make the change. Not a knock on you or your design (as I think the St. Louis on the bat is a cool concept), but they look awesome and there is tradition.

Plus, they have the STL on their caps. They don't need St. Louis on their jerseys.

I think I agree with you. But I'm not sure.

I don't WANT them to make a change to the roads, but I wouldn't be against it either. It does have some tradition as the Cardinals did wear St. Louis many times in the early 1900's and again in 1930-1932, this time with the Birds and the Bat. But every year since then (minus 1956 when only the word "Cardinals" appeared) they've had "Cardinals" and the birds on the bat.

Therefore, I like what you've done, I'd like to see it, I don't want to see it, but all in all, if it doesn't happen for the opening of the new ballpark next year, it won't happen for many many years, if ever.

My Hometown project will have St. Louis on the road however.

As for the Philly thing needing a white outline:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe even an arching underline? Or would that be too much? At any rate the only reason I didn't put the white outline in is because I just made the wordmark in Wicrosoft Word with Word Art and the Phillies font. Given more time and graphic prowess the outline (and maybe underline) would totally be under there.

As for the unwritten rule in every league:

The wordmarks are too small to matter in football. But baseball should have team/white city/grey enforced. Basketball can do whatever it wants. Hockey...? I think the Rangers used to have "NEW YORK" on the blue sweaters and it looked neat but I wouldn't mandate it.

As for the Cardinals jersey:

I'm pretty sure the Cardinals had "St. Louis" on their roads at some point. And the "STL is on the cap" rationale would say that the Braves, Cubs, Reds, Yankees, Red Sox, Devil Rays, Dodgers, Padres, Giants, and Royals, to name a few, all are being redundant.

I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore switches now that Washington has a team

It won't happen as long as Peter Angelos is owner. Before last season, for their 50th anniversary, the Orioles solicited proposed uniform design changes. The company that does their lettering worked up several proposals, including real nice looking road unis in grey and in black with Baltimore and the management team said they weren't going to make that switch. They maintain that position even in light of a poll on their own website last year in which close to 90% of those polled want "Baltimore" on the road unis. Angelos is still fighting with MLB for compensation that by all rights he doesn't deserve because Washington isn't in Baltimore's "territory." The Orioles don't even use the "Baltimore" name on their dugout or anywhere in their logos. They still see themselves as a "regional team" even if that region may be changed to include more marketing to the York County, PA region.

Here's just one example: If they were going for an alternate cap with a letter on it, they could have gone with a version of their 1963 cap, black with the orange "B," which is the only season they haven't had any variation of the Orioles bird on their home cap. Instead, the rumor is (someone here can certainly confirm) that they may go to an all black cap with an "O."

Bill813.png

i dislike that situation. even the new alt cap. cleveland made this mistake as well. they should have created an alternate cap with a C like those they have had many times in the past, but instead went with the script I. blah. and i do think the wordmarks in football matter. they add a classy touch to a football uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It ought to be a rule in the majors, I feel.

Your Baltimore uni is just terrific. Same with St. Louis. Well, they all are, but those epecially.

I'm not sure why so many of your caps are two-color; neither the Angels nor the Brewers really work for me that way. The Angels would look great with an all-blue cap. And I own a Helena Brewers cap that's just like the Milwaukee cap you made - blue crown, tannish-gold bill - and while it looks great, it's definitely minor-league.

For Philadelphia, though, I'd stick with the "Phillies" mark they already use. After all, "Phillies" is just a nickname for where the city plays, and "Philadelphia" is a lot of letters to spread across a shirt. I mean, if your team is named the Texans, you really don't need to put "Texas" on your road jersey. If the Reds were called the Cincies, they could just put that on their road uniforms and no one would have any confusion about where they play their home games. Same with the Phillies.

20082614447.png

Archived