Question about Steeler's helmuts

Diablo de Tejas

If the steelers wanted to do a uniform change, i wouldn't mind seeing the yellow yolk come back.

I agree with JQK on that. I wouldn't mind seeing what the yellow yolks would look like again.

As far as the one-sided logo, the only opinions that matter those of the Rooney family. They tend to be staunch traditionalists, from what I've heard.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Additional trivia, I think I read somewhere that the reason the logo sticker was added to the R side of the helmet instead of the L side was for TV purposes.

[sarcasm] Because we all know that the Steelers only ever move from right to left on our TV screens [/sarcasm]

It's where I sit.

I like the font the steelers use for thier numbers.

we dont need every single team wearing block numbers. you guys act as if the steelers numbers are three layered, beveled, dropshadowed all at once. the traditionalists speak of "uniqueness", well the number font they currently use is unique. let it be.

they are still plain white at home, plain black on the road. its just a more modern font. I feel it adds to the uniform without snubbing tradition too much.

about the only thing they need to change is to remove the logo patch from the left breast.

Here is a case where a team fixed an inconsistency with modern technology... People who think the Nationals should use all one font should like this change, right?

The Steelers took the well-known numbers from their helmets and put them on their jerseys once teams started ditching traditional block numbers. Now all of the numbers are consistent, but I guess you can't satisfy everyone all of the time.

Also, instead of adding a logo to the left side of the helmet, they put it on the left shoulderduring the update. Guess the logo makes it into more TV shots and photos that way. I tend to side with the traditional on most issues, but if they switch back they'll be the same as the copycat Hawkeyes again. Why not be unique?

than you CubsFanBudMan for finally stating that font related to the helmet numbers.

I've been holding back for someone to come out and state what's been blatabtly missing

in this topic.

This is one of those cases where, like most designs, there is no "right" answer. You could have easily switched the helmet numbers to block-font and called it done. Or left it all as it was

and just chalk it up to a traditional idiosyncracy.

The helmet numbers have always been italic, that's why the jersey numbers are too now.

The helmet numbers where the basis for the jersey numbers.

I know they don't always look italic, dependong on photos, since it is very slight, but both the helmet and jersey font is the same and italic.

no worries. I've been looking through old photos and it is damn hard

to clearly tell italic from roman on their helmets of the past. I have to take in

to account human error when applying the numbers to the helmets. I found

pics of Franco where the 3 is clearly itailc and then

the 2 is crooked, making it appear roman.

than you CubsFanBudMan for finally stating that font related to the helmet numbers.

I've been holding back for someone to come out and state what's been blatabtly missing

in this topic.

This is one of those cases where, like most designs, there is no "right" answer. You could have easily switched the helmet numbers to block-font and called it done. Or left it all as it was

and just chalk it up to a traditional idiosyncracy.

No problem. I saw your reply earlier in the thread and was surprised you hadn't mentioned it. It was always clear to me why the Steelers did it and where they got the numbers from. And I figured you were around at Nike around that time...

As far as a 'right' answer, I think this Steelers update is as close as it comes... keeps tradition (even with the new numbers), but still modernizes the look. Similar to the 49ers, Dolphins, etc. Nothing too extreme, just a touch-up.

Additional trivia, I think I read somewhere that the reason the logo sticker was added to the R side of the helmet instead of the L side was for TV purposes.

[sarcasm] Because we all know that the Steelers only ever move from right to left on our TV screens [/sarcasm]

Sarcasm noted, I could be wrong, but I just remember reading somewhere that was the reason for the R sided decal.

metslogo_215.gif

Man, I was going to include a really crass joke here, but instead I'll just say that no effigy could be as good-looking as you are.

I'd love to hear about the design process, if you're not bored with telling the story. Once it was decided that the Steelers' uniforms needed updating, why change the numbers and leave the goofy disappearing sleeve stripes alone?

Archived