Another ABA Logo - The Toledo Ice

newsenterprise

No disrespect to Wideright, but the nose lining up with the ball seem is NOT reason enough to like this thing.

We've all had that moment........"hey, I bet I can make the beak an "A" or seen a shape that would look "neat" and naturally seems to want to go with another shape.

These are good impulses. Your brain is recognizing them and working up these ideas is a good thing. But they also tend to be the worst ideas that are too obvious, grand or involved to pull off.

We all try these types of things, but inevitably you have to sacrifice MUCH more to make them work than its worth. You compromise the whole thing to pull off that trick.

That line is the first thing I saw when I opened this thread. And I instantly thought that this dude went with his/her first impulse and never took a step back and thought how stupid it looked.........cause how could it be stupid? That line GOES RIGHT FROM THE SEEM INTO THE TIGERS NOSE!! Thats awesome right?

wrong. Most of these ideas are best put down on paper, to purge out the obvious, dusty, lame, literal ideas from your head, and then ritually burned so you can proceed clearly.

AND, the tiger is traced. Tracing is ok...but only as a starting point...to get perspective or placement correct. At some point you've got to revisit it and make it NOT look like you traced a picture of a tiger.

This is lame on a tremendous scale. Three thumbs down. boo. hiss.

Sterling, that was a great analysis on what goes on (or should be going on) in a designer's mind while he is creating. There is a lot of valuable advice tucked away in that post. Thanks!

BTW I at first wanted to like the logo but it kept looking like a deformity to me. Glad to know my first impressions are correct.

LT

... it is by far the best executed and well put-together logo in the ABA.

Sorry... no. The Utah Snowbears, Los Angeles Stars and Kentucky Colonels all have logos better than this monstrosity.

When a designer makes the conscious decision to combine the images of a tiger's head and a basketball in such a way that the end result appears to be an animal with an abnormal growth consuming half of it's skull... well, let's just say that said designer's choices leave much to be desired.

I don't know whether to dribble it or pet it. Maybe it does both.

A) Hey, you got your chocolate in my peanutbutter. NO way, your Peanutbutter got on my chocolate. . . Man that's good.

B) That's two - "click", two mints in one . . .

You "old school" guys will appreciate the above two commercials.

Trivia: What two products are in the above two commercials?

Cut and paste your answers here:

A )

B )

:blink:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Brian in Boston,

You are correct - you win Reece's PB cups with certs sprinkled on top - YUMM! :rolleyes:

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Found this today. And if this has been posted, someone enroll me in the next available "Searching 101 for Dummies" class. I'll bring my dunce cap.

full_logo.gif

Here's what probably went down in the process of getting this logo done...

Designer: *finishes sketch of a tiger and its wordmark* Wow this is awesome. Even though this tiger has nothing to do with Ice, it looks pretty darned sweet, hot damn! But something's not right, but I can't seem to put my finger on it... ALAS! I forgot the red-white-and-blue ball!!! Every ABA logo needs a red-white-and-blue ball, no matter HOW good it already is!!! *erases half of Tiger head, then puts on ABA ball WOW THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!! THEY'RE GONNA LOVE THIS!!! GREATEST LOGO OF ALL TIME!!!

<_<

My 5 yr old thought the logo was silly, wondering why? Like us, WHY??

So she suggested I fix it - Here's the potential.

tidycat.gif

She call it the "Tidycat". I couldn't tell you why, but that's it's new name. :grin:

My 5 yr old thought the logo was silly, wondering why? Like us, WHY??

So she suggested I fix it - Here's the potential.

tidycat.gif

She call it the "Tidycat". I couldn't tell you why, but that's it's new name. :grin:

That's a great improvement, but for some reason, I still see the basketball seemingly trying to force its way out of the tiger's skull through the top. And: "tidycat." Isn't that a brand name for kitty litter or something?.....the ABA logo set summed up in one product, no?

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Found this today. And if this has been posted, someone enroll me in the next available "Searching 101 for Dummies" class. I'll bring my dunce cap.

full_logo.gif

Didn't this cat play a martian mutant on Total Recall?

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived