Aikmen Trashes PRO BOWL

markanthony

I wonder what people thought of the ProBowl. I know many people think that it should be canceled. But others have their own personal views like me.

Personally, growing up in Hawaii, Its was always the fact that we never really got to see our favorate players play live. Even if the Pro bowl were in Florida, it would still be a great treat for fans to see all the stars playing at once. Although theres the whole injury thing. Should they cancel the Pro Bowl?

Here is an interesting article written by a local writer in Hawaii. I guess we have a one sided opinion about the Prowl Bowl.

Honolulu Advertiser Pro Bowl Article

Sorry if this subject has been posted already.

the probowl is a who cares game.

after the super bowl, hardly anyone watches the PB. its just one way of squeezing another week of football excitment out of the people. I personally would rather watch the nhl allstar game.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

i didn't watch the pro bowl... out of protest...

how did keith bulluck not get named?

no titans on the roster.... that's acceptable if you look at the standings, but keith lead the voting in his position, lead the league in tackles, and was a part of basically EVERY good play the titans made on defense all year long...

and not only did he not make the team, but he wasn't even a replacement when a replacement was needed....

so i had a choice of cheering for the AFC, only without any titans (but some very visable titans rivals), or cheering for NFC, which seems backwards, being an AFC team's fan....

so i watched the mavericks game instead :) jet terry is clutch.

I'm all for the fans out in Hawaii getting a chance to see the NFL's best but I do not like the game at all.

I like the venue of Hawaii and believe something should be done there just not this game. Instead maybe they could feature the NFL Skill Challenges and maybe expand them to include a few more competitors and events. Couple that with autograph sessions for the fans.

I love to watch Vick, Culpepper and McNabb throw the ball three quarters the way down the field.

The NFL could probably also feature an awards program with musical performances, season highlights, etc...

mvps.jpg

All the players in that article who said they were in favor of the game probably are, but could also be towing the company line.

The pro-bowl is obviously the lamest of all pro sport all-star events. Its too bad, but thems the breaks.

Here's a counterpoint (kinda) article about what to do with it and the SB that I thought was interesting.

On Milwaukee

See #s 1 and 2 in particular.

I've never watched one and dont care. But they should expand teh skills competition and I like the idea of combining it with SB week.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I still maintain a pre season game as a kick off for the season using the all stars from the previous season would be a far better option than a post season after the big show game.

And sorry for hawaii and fans there, I still thinking moving the game to Canton and combining it with the HOF weekend would be awesome. That could make an awesome long weekend launch for the season. HOF ineductions, maybe an all college type of game, which could feature the leading rookies for hte upoming season, and as a show piece the official start of the NFL season- the NFL Probowl. mix in a decent skills contest, and you have a weekend to prime all football fans for the upcoiming season, mean that most players only have 3 preseason games, plus it would mean all the players picked from Superbowl teams get to play.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I still maintain a pre season game as a kick off for the season using the all stars from the previous season would be a far better option than a post season after the big show game.

And sorry for hawaii and fans there, I still thinking moving the game to Canton and combining it with the HOF weekend would be awesome. That could make an awesome long weekend launch for the season. HOF ineductions, maybe an all college type of game, which could feature the leading rookies for hte upoming season, and as a show piece the official start of the NFL season- the NFL Probowl. mix in a decent skills contest, and you have a weekend to prime all football fans for the upcoiming season, mean that most players only have 3 preseason games, plus it would mean all the players picked from Superbowl teams get to play.

Thats a solid idea too.

The only thing is, many of the pro-bowlers MAY not be on the same teams by that point next season.

I think one way or another, they need to combine it with other, more interesting NFL events. It's not good enough for it to stand on its own after the season is over like this.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Thats a solid idea too.

The only thing is, many of the pro-bowlers MAY not be on the same teams by that point next season.

I think one way or another, they need to combine it with other, more interesting NFL events. It's not good enough for it to stand on its own after the season is over like this.

I was thinking about that problem to. And I don't know exactly ythe answer, but perhaps the only way to do it is to give fans one last chance to see there old faves in there helmets of there old teams. it wouldn't matter too much as no pre season games would have been played up to that point.

What I do think is that the Pro Bowl is badly timed. How many players would show up if it didn't mean a week in hawaii. They would have less excuse if they hadn't played up till then. And the announcements of the line ups could be part of the build up to the Superbowl. Its less of a big game than the other all star games because selected players often miss it. So take that option away, give the fans the chance to watch all the best NFL players in one game. Sure they aren't gonna be up to pace yet, sure iot isn't gonna be a full intensity match but it will be fun, which is what an all star occasion should be.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I've heard this mentioned before, and I think it warrants being considered by the NFL. Play the Pro Bowl during the bye week before the Super Bowl. If you have to have the 2 week layoff, put something in there.

The only downside to this is that All Stars from the Super Bowl teams wouldn't be playing in it because they're saving themselves for the Super Bowl.

Part of the apathy about the Pro Bowl stems from the fact is takes place after the season. Although it makes the most sense in theory (after the season ends you can really see who are the best players at each position, not midway through the season), almost all the excitement and hype is gone after the Super Bowl. No one really cares about football in Hawaii in February, excpet total diehard fans, and natives of Hawaii.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

There are quite of few events in Waikiki Beach, Contests, just interaction with the players. But They arent televised. Its a tourist thing. Hawaiis tourism is dropping and they wanted this a s tool tool bring in tourists for the event. But there are football diehards. Hawaiis High School Team Games sometimes sell out Aloha Stadium.

Many Linebackers come out of Hawaii. The tourism thing would work in any major city. I like Home-Run Dirbys and things like contests. More organized events would be cool.

I think the game is kind of pointless, and is one major injury away from being in serious jeopardy anyway.

I do however like the skills competitions, maybe they could build those up more and have a day-long olympic style competition? To make it better for TV they could have flashy intros for the competitors, etc.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If the All-Pro game was the first preseason game everyone would watch it, but the risk of injury is too high and thus the Owners will never go for it. Though nobody hits hard, and nobody plays full out in the Pro BOwl it sometimes resmbles a back yark game that you have after Thanksgiving dinner.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think the game is kind of pointless, and is one major injury away from being in serious jeopardy anyway.

I do however like the skills competitions, maybe they could build those up more and have a day-long olympic style competition? To make it better for TV they could have flashy intros for the competitors, etc.

Remember a gentleman named Robert Edwards? Shredded a knee on the beach playing in a pre-Pro Bowl event, never did anything of consequence again.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Remember a gentleman named Robert Edwards? Shredded a knee on the beach playing in a pre-Pro Bowl event, never did anything of consequence again.

It was a shame what happened to him. 1,100 yards in 15 games as a rookie, and to have an injury that essentially ended his career (outside of 2002, with Miami) in a beach football game. Now that I look at it, he averaged 5.4 yards per carry in 2002, did he re-injure his knee at some point during that season? And if not, why didn't anyone else pick him up for what I'd imagine would be cheap and use him as a back-up, possibly?

IUe6Hvh.png

If the All-Pro game was the first preseason game everyone would watch it, but the risk of injury is too high and thus the Owners will never go for it. Though nobody hits hard, and nobody plays full out in the Pro BOwl it sometimes resmbles a back yark game that you have after Thanksgiving dinner.

Thats true enough, but they are happy to play 4 pre season games, so I would have thought the sell wouldn't be impossible if the NFL really wanted to raise the profile of the Pro Bowl- 1 fewer pre season game 1 less risk for most of your players, added advertsising revenue for the league to be shared between the teams from the whole Pro Bowl event, and added excitement for the start of ythe NFL season. Makes sense to me, but I can see the drawbacks.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived