New from the lab?

toxicsoul

Good evening all, I just finished up this primary mark which is to be a portion of a presentation I will be making in a week or so (I am in the midst of creating a full body version for alternate applications) but wanted to get some C&C from all of you to get a general reaction/feel for the look and what not. Some background, this is actually the fifth logo sketch of a hawk that I completed, since I did not feel the rest were up to par with what I wanted to achieve, there was one that came really close and another that was ok. If I have time to post them I will, but for now?

soeschger_hawk.gif

The fuzziness in the image is there is due to a digital watermarking technology I am trying out to see if it is worth the investment, sorry if it bothers anyone but you can't be too safe anymore.

I agree. The watermark is much too dark. It is very hard to make out the image. The best approach that I have found is to make your own watermark in Photoshop or Illustrator, intersect it with your shape, and lay it over your image at around 20% transparency.

This is also quite small on the eye, but from what I can make out, it is very good. Birds are difficult to draw, and very difficult to make them look specific and/or unique. You have done both. the execution is great. It is simple yet elegant, and it looks unmistakably like a hawk. Great job.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Good selection of colors and coordination. Great concept of a Hawk. Watermark a bit dark - otherwise great job.

I look forward to seeing your other work. If you have any Cardinals please post :D

Welcome to the CC Boards - hope your stay is a pleasant one!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

In general, the image does look fairly nice with a good choice of colours and overall design. That said, however, the beak does seem to let the cocept down, I think. Try straightening it a bit and see what you get.

Other than that, good job!

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

Honestly guys, you need to get out and go to the zoo. :P Hawks do not have straight beaks like eagles. I find the beak to be one of the strongest elements of this design.

head.lt.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

hey tempest, thanks for dropping in the reference pic in for the hawk, all my reference images are still on my laptop and i am currently without it. i acquired almost a 50 different reference images to put into the design blender to get the look i was looking for in this logo.

from the harris hawk to the feruginous hawk to the red tailed hawk, up until this project i did not realize how many different species and subspecies existed. let alone the subtle differences among some of them, it was quite a learning experience.

Hawks do not have straight beaks like eagles.

Actually...Eagles don't have straight beaks either.

eagle.gif

This is what an Eagle looks like when he's intent on biting off Tom Brady's balls!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

eagle.gif

"This is what an Eagle looks like when he's intent on biting off Tom Brady's balls!"

Oooooh, nasty stuff.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Nice, clean design. I think that maybe you should develop some secondary and tiertiary logos. There are numerous other hawk logos with similar colors out in the world that this doesn't stand out as unique. I think other logos and wordmarks would help you achieve that.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

here was the version 2, i did not feel it was fierce enough, brooding yes, fierce no

soeschger_hawk1.gif

here was the version 3, head on is tough, it was close to what i wanted but was also far away

soeschger_hawk2.gif

here was the full body version 3

soeschger_hawk3.gif

i may find a use for version 3 as an alternate, but who knows, i'll figure it out as i finish the proposal and guide. hope you like the stuff.

I'd actually like to see your first, main hawk larger, so i can get a feel for line thicknesses and such, before i kneel and ask you to unzip like fiasco, there.

Lines feel a little thin to me. Also, i'd like to see some more white added, like on the beak,a nd in the eye.. the all grey makes the whole thing feel desaturated somehow.

The shapes look great. Very nice start.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived