Florida Atlantic

barnesdesign

What an odd decision to make just those forhead shapes red. Hmmm. I'd think "eyes' should be if anything.

Oh well.

Not too shabby. Feels very much like I've seen it, or work like it, before, but certainly not bad.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

This owl is too flat. There is no depth in the blue cookie cutter that is the owl's body. It looks like a piece of construction paper. The head is not bad, but I think it could use some depth and/or drama as well. In my opinion, the body falls short of the head. I do not like the font. Ben, yours really is better.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Hmmm... seems like a move towards simplicity for simplicity's sake. Not that that is a bad thing. It may be that Rickabaugh Graphics will succeed in launching a new trend in logo design with their package for FIU (which also includes an official university logo and a refined official seal).

I don't love it... I don't hate it. Frankly, I'm waiting to have any sort of strong reaction to it.

As for Sterling's impression that he'd seen the athletic mark before: I believe FIU's new mascot may be a sibling of X the Owl from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

Ben has all the FAU logo variations on his website. Visit it by clicking the link in his signature. ^_^

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Thanks guys for the compliments. I agree that I am not a fan of the font. I guess all I can say is, don't blame Rickabaugh, mine was a finalist, but FAU wanted the more simple, front-view owl, something not as detailed or illustrated as mine. This was one of my first projects with a big-name company, and I realy didn't have much say other than that I was told to "make my own interpretation". I was freelanced out pretty early on in the process (I sent in two designs in tight pencil), and when I heard they weren't using mine, that was pretty much that. I hadn't seen what it would look like up until now. I just knew that Eric Rickabaugh told me they wanted something "simple". It really was a great experience and it has gotten my foot into the door for a lot more work. I am grateful he gave me the opportunity to work with him.

Anyway, I do think it may look like a bunch of other owl logos, but as I was designing and researching owls, I realized how hard it is to make an owl logo look different. I guess that is why I ultimately went with a side view...most owl logos I know of are head-on, wings spread.

But like I said, that is what FAU chose. What can you do :)

This owl is too flat. There is no depth in the blue cookie cutter that is the owl's body. It looks like a piece of construction paper. The head is not bad, but I think it could use some depth and/or drama as well. In my opinion, the body falls short of the head. I do not like the font.

Exactly.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Ben, I have visited your site, and I loved your FAU design. You did a good job and unfortunately I know that sometimes the best design isn't the one that the client chooses. Good job and keep it in your portfolio. You do good work and reading your last post you have a good head on your shoulders.

Keep up the good work.

Archived