Cubs Home Jerseys

Cujo

I noticed the Cubbies recently removed the names from their home jerseys.

The reason for the change is because they "decided to remove the names from the backs of the Cubs? home jerseys in an effort to revisit early baseball tradition." What tradition? The tradition bad luck and losing??

I don't like the move at all. :(

6uXNWAo.png

Pretty soon all 30 teams will drop the names to honor tradition, in the cases of many teams, a tradition that preceded their existence. Then in a few years, the Atlanta Braves will put names on the backs of their jerseys (hockey arches and all) to honor the "great NL East dynasty of the 1990s," a dynasty which, at the time, will still be going anyway. Then gradually everyone restores names and we go full-circle.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

The nameless thing works for the Cubs because of the larger, stylized number font and the "traditional"-style uniforms. I don't like the nameless look at all on the Dodgers though, it just looks odd to me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

here is my problem, whren they wear blue at home, which is disgusting and should be sold as pj's they have no names, but when they wear blue on the road, magically the names re-appear, how dumb to have 4 different uniforms for 1 bad team, end the 3rd color os get a good looking style such as the white sox or indians 3rd color, and i am actually a cubs fan.

I noticed the Cubbies recently removed the names from their home jerseys.

The reason for the change is because they "decided to remove the names from the backs of the Cubs? home jerseys in an effort to revisit early baseball tradition." What tradition? The tradition bad luck and losing??

I don't like the move at all. :(

Well...the whole names-on-jerseys-at-home is very new for the Cubs. They started doing it in 1992, I think (maybe 1993).

This is just putting things back the way they ought to be.

IMHO it looks terrific - Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, all of 'em - much cleaner and simpler all around. After all, players have numbers on their jerseys to identify them.

It also saves those poor players with the mega-polysyllabic names from the embarassment of having their name go from butt-cheek to butt-cheek! :P

It's also sort of an subliminal reinforcement of the "team" concept, too. I'd welcome all of the teams doing this.

"Conduct may be founded on the hard rock or the wet marshes."

I'd like to see the cardinals follow suit with names like Isringhausen and Grudzielanek. :D

I do like the look on the whites or the greys for any team as long as the number gets moved up on the jersey. I don't care for it on the jerseys of color.

I do like the look on the whites or the greys for any team as long as the number gets moved up on the jersey. I don't care for it on the jerseys of color.

...and I dream that one day...a jersey will be judged, not by the color of its thread but by the content of its character...so that one day little black jerseys and white jerseys...can appear on the same field as little gray jerseys and blue jerseys... :P

*runs*

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

IMHO it looks terrific - Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, all of 'em - much cleaner and simpler all around. After all, players have numbers on their jerseys to identify them.

It also saves those poor players with the mega-polysyllabic names from the embarassment of having their name go from butt-cheek to butt-cheek! :P

It's also sort of an subliminal reinforcement of the "team" concept, too. I'd welcome all of the teams doing this.

For me, having names on the jerseys are more a form of player identification, than having anything to do with narcissism. It also makes the uniform look more professional.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm a busy guy. I can't be bothered to remember 25+ players' numbers. Just put the names on there.

And I think long names look the coolest.

Hell, who needs numbers, anyway? You can identify the players by their gait, body type, and what position they're at! I don't need some number to know that Nomar is at short. And numbers just make players feel ranked. Go truly retro and scrap numbers too. Think how clean the uniforms will look!

To hell with jerseys. They make you less aerodynamic and limit your range of motion. Go shirtless. It'll look so clean!

LOL, you could have the road team wear jerseys, so you could have a game of shirts vs. skins. :lol:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Lot of wasted fabric if you ask me. Just wear the blue alternates with names at home. OH NO I CAN IDENTIFY THE PINCH-RUNNER THAT CAME OFF THE BENCH TRADITION IS RUINED

I think Zambrano really likes the blue. Never see him in pinstripes or grey.

The only time I ever saw Zambrano wear the pinstripes (and pitch) was in spring training this year.

Wood, Maddux and Prior always wear the white at home. Dempster seems to be going that route, too, at least so far. Wood wears blue on the road, but Prior and Maddux usually wear gray. Dempster looks like he's going blue on the road (Last year, Clement was another all-blue like Zambrano).

Personally, I don't like the blue at home, love it on the road.

I'm a busy guy. I can't be bothered to remember 25+ players' numbers. Just put the names on there.

I have a question, can you actually read what the name from the stands or a non closeup shot on tv. Probably not since it's small. The number is still used as the primary identification mark on the uni.

I like them going nameless. I wouldn't want all the teams to do it but a few I like.

I like the no-name look. For many teams, as with the Cubbies it is their tradition. I do agree that the Dodgers should make the numbers a litle bigger, now that they dropped the names.

If the Brewers ever lose the softball jerseys, I'd like to see them lose the names at home. They didn't add them until 1993.

Besides, that's what a program is for. You shouldn't be able to tell the players apart without a program. :P

The only time I ever saw Zambrano wear the pinstripes (and pitch) was in spring training this year.

Wood, Maddux and Prior always wear the white at home. Dempster seems to be going that route, too, at least so far. Wood wears blue on the road, but Prior and Maddux usually wear gray. Dempster looks like he's going blue on the road (Last year, Clement was another all-blue like Zambrano).

Personally, I don't like the blue at home, love it on the road.

don't forget last year's ASG, basically he was only in the pinstripes cus they won't let players wear their alts. Carlos loves the blue...speakin of Clement, he must not like the Bosox red jersey as much as he liked the Cubs blues, the Sawx fans haven't said anything about it yet ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🀬

Archived