I wonder how the Trop would look without a roof

The_Admiral

Part of me wishes somebody would buy the Rays and Tropicana Field and drastically renovate the place to resemble a ballpark and not a warehouse. Tear the roof off that sucker.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even without a roof the Trop would look like a warehouse. Don't worry however I believe MLB has ordered the Rays out by 2010.

If that's true, then thank god. I'm SO sick of the weird-ass homerun rules they have down there.

"If the fly ball hits the second scaffolding, then the ball's in play...now if it hits the THIRD scaffolding, it's a homerun. If it hits the first scaffolding, ricochets off and hits the second while staying in mid-air and landing in the crowd, then it's a foul ball, two runs are suspended from the visiting team, and the pitcher gets a free hot dog..."

Even without a roof the Trop would look like a warehouse. Don't worry however I believe MLB has ordered the Rays out by 2010.

If that's true, then thank god. I'm SO sick of the weird-ass homerun rules they have down there.

"If the fly ball hits the second scaffolding, then the ball's in play...now if it hits the THIRD scaffolding, it's a homerun. If it hits the first scaffolding, ricochets off and hits the second while staying in mid-air and landing in the crowd, then it's a foul ball, two runs are suspended from the visiting team, and the pitcher gets a free hot dog..."

Invert all rules if the pitcher is a Republican.

the d-rays are simply following the purists, you know, spend money on no one so you don't look like the yankees and red sox. while people complain about the yankees and red sox spending, someone should complain about the d-rays in not spending money on noone. they are why teams need owners that will spend money on players. and if they end up like stacked teams like the yankees and redsox and win the pennant, then so be it.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

the d-rays are simply following the purists, you know, spend money on no one so you don't look like the yankees and red sox. while people complain about the yankees and red sox spending, someone should complain about the d-rays in not spending money on noone. they are why teams need owners that will spend money on players. and if they end up like stacked teams like the yankees and redsox and win the pennant, then so be it.

I'm not asking them to spend money on players. I'm asking them to make their park look like a park.

Well with a little program called photoshop we can see (somewhat) what a domeless Trop will look like.

domelesstrop.gif

Hm. Well. Ugly, I guess. Maybe they should just wipe that facility off of the face of the Earth.

hm. Maybe it needs a new exterior or something too. who am I kidding the place sucks

well if your gonna tear the roof off and re-do to outside, why not build a new neo-retro ballpark with a retractible roof, for those rainy summer nights in FL....trust me, theyll need a roof of some form to make money

hm. Maybe it needs a new exterior or something too. who am I kidding the place sucks

well if your gonna tear the roof off and re-do to outside, why not build a new neo-retro ballpark with a retractible roof, for those rainy summer nights in FL....trust me, theyll need a roof of some form to make money

Just make the roof Plexiglas instead of Teflon or something

Just make the roof Plexiglas instead of Teflon or something

i actually think its teflon right now

I went to the Trop in the inaugural season in 1998 and the stadium is horrible, lighting seemingly directed into the spectators eyes, the sound system cranked so loud to make one's ears bleed. It's also an eyesore. The best bet is for the team to be sold to someone who will spend some money on players and work to increase the fan base. Otherwise the Rays will be extinct. However, it doesn't help them any that they're second class citizens in their own market to Steinbrenner.

I heard somewhere the D-Rays will be getting a new owner in time for 2006.

A renovated Trop will not work. They need a new park with retractable roof. A park in Florida without a retractable roof in Florida would be a huge mistake.

In the summer it's 92 degrees 90% humidity in the day and 80 degrees and 90% humidity at night. If that doesn't scare you away then the constant threat of rain will. In Florida it might not be raining on your block but you walk a few blocks and it could be raining there. When it rains it pours it's not common to have rain showers that dump a few inches an hour.

If they are building a new park build it right. On a day where rain threatens the Marlins lose about 4-6k in walk-up sales. On Sundays when they play at 1pm a crowd might be 20-25k when the night before it was 35-40k.

1997 | 2003

Archived