Argos staying at SkyRogersDomeCentre

appleclock

What about the stadium for soccer theya re talking about at CNE is that dead I thought that was a great idea for the Argos.

I dont know if they're still going to build the stadium. It was going to be at York University. Many felt it was too far away from downtown.

How much you want to bet the Argos got a helluva rate reduction on their lease?

I heard Rogers offered to let them play there for free.

That was the rumour.

I like this. Moving them to York would've perpetuated the second-tier image that the CFL has in Toronto.

It may at times be second-tier talent, but its a first-tier game, baby.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Just scary to think that SkyDome is "obsolete" to the Argos. Compared to the others, it looks like one of the better ones in the league.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I don't think it was so much obsolete as it was expensive. The Argos had been complaining about the cost of renting the place since Sherwood Schwartz owned the club. That and the team wasn't drawing compared to what they are now (and what they expect to following the cup win).

nav-logo.png

I thought the latest deal had been to build the new place where Varsity Stadium had been...? Ah, well, it makes more sense for them to stay in the Dome.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I thought the latest deal had been to build the new place where Varsity Stadium had been...? Ah, well, it makes more sense for them to stay in the Dome.

That deal was killed just before the York announcement in October I believe

I saw, I came, I left.

The Varsity Stadium deal was killed out of the blue by U of T internal squabbling. The Argos then went to plan B and went into partnership with York University's bid to host the world under 17 soccer championships as co-tenants with Soccer Canada in a new stadium at York. Rogers swooped in and offered the Argos a sweetheart Dome lease - some say free rental but I think it's actually a token fee, and guaranteed weekend dates which the Argos have never been able to secure under the previous Dome ownership.

The dome is a so-so venue for watching football. A bit too antiseptic and dead atmosphere, and you're miles away from the field. After watching a game at Ivor Wynne in Hamilton where you're right on top of the field, even the prime seats in the dome feel like you're in the next area code. The Argos decided they just couldn't refuse the sweetheart lease. I think it's for 5 years with two 5-year options, 15 years total.

The Argos had been complaining about the cost of renting the place since Sherwood Schwartz owned the club.

Wasn't he one of the producers of The Brady Bunch?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The Argos had been complaining about the cost of renting the place since Sherwood Schwartz owned the club.

Wasn't he one of the producers of The Brady Bunch?

I used to think so too, but no, different guy.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

Archived