The AHL

Dilbert

On the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks website, it has a poll listing what you would like to see for the new name for when the team comes back. The choices:

Flying Pigs-(Cincinnati is known as the city where pigs fly, dont know why)

Jets

Ligers

Mind Benders

Screaming Bald Eagles

Stingers

Swords

Tigers

Right now Stingers seems to be the favorite(its mine as well) followed by Swords and Flying Pigs. I wouldnt mind seeing some concepts for these.

The Former Cincinnati Mighty Ducks team has another new poll for names people would like to see for the new name when they return in 2006. The Stingers won the first part

Here is part 2

Bratts- Cincinnati strange enough is known for good meat.

Coneys- Skyline and Gold Star Chilli are famous for their Cincinnati style chilli and cheese coneys.

Gold Stars- Again Gold Star Chilli is known for its Cincinnati style Chilli

Mustangs- Just a random name I guess.

Psyclones- A different way of spelling Cincys old team Cyclones

Skyliners- one- Cincinnati has a very nice skyline. two Skyline Chilli is famous for its Cincinnati Style chilli

also put on here from the first round is the Swords and Stingers

Like the first round Stingers is the big favorite. followed by Swords and Psyclones.

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am. I dont know about anyone else.

Cincinnati is famous for its style of chilli. Far different from Texas chilli or any other kind. Skyline and Gold Star are two Cincinnati chains that make Cincy style chilli. Cincy is also known for its meats and beers.

Maybe it's just a sign of when Cincy gets a hockey team back :D

j/k

No, they will be back in 2006. Unlike many teams who go on a voluntary suspension, Pete Robinson(the owner) says that they will be back. At the end of the 2005-06 season, almost half of the leagues teams affiliation agreements would end. One of those is Columbus and Syracuse. It has been rumored that after next season the Jackets will drop Syracuse and sign on with Cincinnati.

Maybe it's just a sign of when Cincy gets a hockey team back :D

j/k

No, they will be back in 2006. Unlike many teams who go on a voluntary suspension, Pete Robinson(the owner) says that they will be back. At the end of the 2005-06 season, almost half of the leagues teams affiliation agreements would end. One of those is Columbus and Syracuse. It has been rumored that after next season the Jackets will drop Syracuse and sign on with Cincinnati.

I'll miss the Mighty Ducks though. It was the only way to get my girlfriend to go to a game - she liked the name.

Round 3

Boogeymen

Firebirds

Lancers

Saints

Swords

Thunder

Thunderbirds

Warriors

Quite a surprise to me, Thunder is number1 followed bySwords-Firebirds(tie) and Thunderbirds.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is very surprising. Though Ive still yet to see a Road Runner in Edmonton or Canada for that fact.

If Edmonton is looking, I hear Cincinnati is a good market.

Wow, 3rd in the league in attendance, and Oiler ownership rewards its loyal fans, who still go out in fervent support fo their beloved sport in spite of an ownership that cares little if not at all for them, by killing the team. The only logic I can figure is that the Oilers are run by a group of masochists who derive a perverse pleasure out of hemorrhaging money.

And they want a WHL team instead? Can't they have both? Isn't the WHL a junior league? And isn't it helpful to have a AAA affiliate to develop your top-end talent, especially when it looks like that team could be your only stream of revenue for the forseeable future? Don't they realize that at this point, the '05-'06 season is little more than a pipe dream, and if that season dies, hey, your league is officially over?

Grrr. This whole thing strikes me as nothing short of rock-stupid. NHL owners now don't seem satisfied with killing the highest level of their sport; now, they'd like to assassinate and any and all possible levels. Instead of stabilizing the league at 30 teams and creating a one-for-one situation, they pull out of their affiliations in solid markets like Edmonton, Utah, and Cincinnati, and cram themselves in with some other team, helping to contract hockey's already-dwindling fan base. Somebody get the ownership from Fort Wayne and Oklahoma City on the phone, and tell them to get ready to make the jump for '06-'07. This league is in need of owners who actually know how to run successful franchises.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It almost makes me think they're punishing the people of Edmonton, so that they'll have to support the NHL and the Oilers if they want to see pro hockey. Why would any organization logically do something like this during a work stoppage? Personally, I think they should have kept the team going, if nothing else, it to keeps the fan base in Edmonton somewhat happy, especially if this lockout lasts another year. Otherwise it's yet another reason why fans are getting fed up. :cursing:

I suppose this of mine theory would hold more merrit if additionally the Maple Leafs were to suspend the Marlies, or the Bruins suspend the Baby-B's, or the Flyers of the Phantoms. Perish the thought.

:hockeysmiley:

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

And they want a WHL team instead?  Can't they have both?  Isn't the WHL a junior league?  And isn't it helpful to have a AAA affiliate to develop your top-end talent, especially when it looks like that team could be your only stream of revenue for the forseeable future?  Don't they realize that at this point, the '05-'06 season is little more than a pipe dream, and if that season dies, hey, your league is officially over?

They can have both but not have all 3. That's 110+ games you have to schedule over a 9 month period. I'm sure there is a smaller rink in EDM that you could have the W team play it but even still you're going to be killing attendance from each team if they are home on the same night or even the same weekend.

Edmonton is no Toronto.

I can understand that, but I don't think they have much to worry about in regard to that 3rd team playing anytime soon. And if you want a WHL team so badly? There's one in Red Deer. Make an offer.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can understand that, but I don't think they have much to worry about in regard to that 3rd team playing anytime soon. And if you want a WHL team so badly? There's one in Red Deer. Make an offer.

An Edmonton ownership group has a standing offer for any WHL team that wants to sell. $5M if I remember correctly. For a city that has lost its W team twice, they really want a crack at #3.

Aren't the attendance numbers and ticket prices for junior league teams traditionally lower? What on earth would the possible upside be for the ownership taking such a downgrade in franchise status?

Aren't the attendance numbers and ticket prices for junior league teams traditionally lower? What on earth would the possible upside be for the ownership taking such a downgrade in franchise status?

Well we could get into a W vs A (or E) debate, much like Victoria has been going through, but off the top of my head I can think of a couple reasons to have a junior team over a pro team.

No salaries for the most part. Stipends and education are paid for in WHL but still nowhere near the cost of a pro player.

Travel costs. Edmonton to Portland by bus is a lot cheaper than flying to say, San Antonio, Phoenix or Providence.

Aren't the attendance numbers and ticket prices for junior league teams traditionally lower?  What on earth would the possible upside be for the ownership taking such a downgrade in franchise status?

Well we could get into a W vs A (or E) debate, much like Victoria has been going through, but off the top of my head I can think of a couple reasons to have a junior team over a pro team.

No salaries for the most part. Stipends and education are paid for in WHL but still nowhere near the cost of a pro player.

Travel costs. Edmonton to Portland by bus is a lot cheaper than flying to say, San Antonio, Phoenix or Providence.

Ah, I see, another case of the new corporate ideology:

Not necessarily an interest in finding ways to make more money, just interest in finding ways to spend less.

An idea that works great in the short-term, but screws you over the long run.

Archived