Kansas City Royals changes for 2006

Royals Insider

In what year did MLB teams switch from powder blue to gray?  Wasn't it an all-at-once change, or pretty close to it?  I remember the Cards, Phils, Jays, Mariners, Rangers, Twins, Cubs, Brew Crew, Braves and Expos having powders, but in my opinion, the king of the powders was KC. 

The Phillies switched back to gray from powder blue in 1989, the year Schmitty retired.

'88: nl_1981_philadelphia.gif

'89:nl_1989_philadelphia.gif

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Phillies switched back to gray from powder blue in 1989, the year Schmitty retired.

'88: nl_1981_philadelphia.gif

'89:nl_1989_philadelphia.gif

Thank you, Nick Leyva... <_<

As for the powder, teams fooled with the idea for decades going back to the Cubs in the 1940s. They exploded in the '70s and had pretty much died out by the end of the '80s with a couple of holdouts.

Speaking of that Larry Gura card... the Jays and Royals were the only teams to use white numbers on their road powder blues IIRC. Which made them very hard to read on sunny days as was mentioned. But the Jays used the font with the internal stripe, so they were a little more legible.

And for the record, true Carolina blue is a little darker than powder blue, now that UNC made a concerted effort to standardize their color. My Heels gear is in 5 or 6 different shades of what is supposed to be the same color.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

In what year did MLB teams switch from powder blue to gray?  Wasn't it an all-at-once change, or pretty close to it?

According to the HOF Dressed as the Nines database, the Brewers moved from powder blue to gray in 1985.

1984:

al_1984_milwaukee.gif

1985:

al_1985_milwaukee.gif

They then dropped the yellow from their road caps in 1986.

1986:

al_1986_milwaukee.gif

That doesn't quite jibe with my memory. I remember them making the switch all at once - gray road, blue road caps and losing the white batting helmet front panel at the same time. But I'll trust Okkonen to know his stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the season ticket holder appreciation party today at Kauffman Stadium, and I saw on the video board that the players were wearing the new 2006 white home uniforms. I snapped a couple photos. The changes are as follows:

-They've dropped the black shadowing on the script

-They've re-added the blue piping on the sleeves

-The patch on the left sleeve is a blue Royals logo with a gold crown

Here are a couple photos:

new_uniform1.jpg

new_uniform.jpg

I was at the season ticket holder appreciation party today at Kauffman Stadium, and I saw on the video board that the players were wearing the new 2006 white home uniforms. I snapped a couple photos. The changes are as follows:

Here are a couple photos:

new_uniform1.jpg

new_uniform.jpg

I think those look pretty good. No problem here.

Hooray! The Royals look like the Royals again.

Now, back in the cellar with ye!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That almost looks like something George Brett would wear. Nice job, KC.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

In what year did MLB teams switch from powder blue to gray? Wasn't it an all-at-once change, or pretty close to it? I remember the Cards, Phils, Jays, Mariners, Rangers, Twins, Cubs, Brew Crew, Braves and Expos having powders, but in my opinion, the king of the powders was KC.

End of 1982 = Cubs and Rangers

End of 1984 = Brewers, Cardinals and Mariners

End of 1986 = Braves and Twins

End of 1988 = Phillies and Blue Jays

End of 1991 = Royals and Expos

Archived