Metallic NFL helmets

FiddySicks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the technology and sophistication that exists today, why is it so difficult to match the color of a plastic helmet with the colors of the textiles used in making uniforms?  I realize that sweat alters the appearances of a team's colors, but some teams have some wide disparaties.  And if going to a metallic helmet closes this gap, than it should be feasible with a matte-finish helmet.

The problem with matching is that different materials respond differently to light. Once you're able to match the colors of a plastic helmet and poly uniform under natural light, they won't necessarily match under artificial light. Then there's television. What matches in person won't match on the screen. There are just too many variables.

I think the metallic helmets look better in every single case. In every case, it matches better than the flat helmets. Even if the color's not perfect under every condition, at least they have the same sheen as the poly uiniform fabric, and that goes a long way.

From the International Helmet Collector's Club:

Denver Broncos - Metallic Navy

St. Louis Rams - Metallic Navy

I really don't think those two are correct, especially the Rams. Whenever I watch the Rams, their helmets are dull and really, "ultra" flat, IMO. I've never known the Broncos to use metallic navy, and I've seen on-field Broncos helmets up close.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm no expert on paints or whatever, but when done right, it looks really good like in the Vikings example. I think it looks horrid like when Utah university does it. It makes the red look wayyyy darker than the jersey.

KISSwall09.jpg

I'm no expert on paints or whatever, but when done right, it looks really good like in the Vikings example. I think it looks horrid like when Utah university does it. It makes the red look wayyyy darker than the jersey.

Utah used metallic helmets last year, but I think they are getting new unis this year. This is kinda speculation, but a lot of schools will change the helmet one year, then change the jerseys the following year. USC, North Carolina, Arizona, et al. are examples of this.

I really don't think those two are correct, especially the Rams. Whenever I watch the Rams, their helmets are dull and really, "ultra" flat, IMO. I've never known the Broncos to use metallic navy, and I've seen on-field Broncos helmets up close.

Did you even bother to click on the link and click on the Rams link?

Obviously not, as the pics there clearly show that the Rams have the metallic helmet thing going on.

Did you even bother to click on the link and click on the Rams link?

Obviously not, as the pics there clearly show that the Rams have the metallic helmet thing going on.

I don't think it's that "clear", and if you've ever watched a real Rams game, you'd also say that they don't use metallic paint. Thanks though.

Another Rams Mini Helmet w/o Metallic Paint

Here is what I know regarding metallic helmets in the NFL.

Miami - metallic white, but different different finish of metallic white from other teams. Last year they also switched to metallic decals and stripes.

Jets - metallic white

Ravens - I remember hearing that they were metallic, but everything I've seen doesn't look metallic. Plus, when the Falcons unveiled their new unis a few years back, they stated that they were the first team to have a metallic black helmet.

Texans - metallic navy

Colts - metallic white

Titans - metallic white

Broncos - metallic navy

Chargers - flat navy

Redskins - metallic cardinal

Falcons - metallic black

Packers - metallic gold

Vikings - metallic purple (the white and gold on their decal is also metallic)

Rams - metallic navy (appears to be different finish from Broncos and Texans)

Cardinals - metallic white

Browns - as far as I know, they have stayed with a flat orange.

A couple of NCAA tidbits regarding metallic finishes:

Florida, Clemson and UTEP all use metallic orange

Tennessee and Auburn use a finish called Pearl White

North Carolina uses metallic columbia blue

Arizona State uses metallic sunflower (with metallic decals)

Cal uses metallic navy (with metallic decals)

Many teams use metallic black helmets (Cincinnati, Texas Tech, etc).

I think Arkansas and San Diego State use a Candy finish on their helmets.

If you want a better look at some of these finish, try checking out www.schuttsports.com. They list the different finishes of the helmets, and there are alot!

I'll try to snap some photos of these different finishes (I have a huge mini helmet collection), and post so you guys can see the difference. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Wow. I'm not so sure I know what a metallic finish is, based on that info.

I'm going to be a hard sell on the Rams helmets...just bought Street & Smiths today, and there are about four pictures that I think obviously show the Rams stay with a flat finish. But I'm outnumbered, two lists to one.

Not one of these helmets looks like it has metallic finish:

nfl1af5_lower.jpg

nfl1a82_lower.jpg

nfl140f_lower.jpg

nfl1519_lower.jpg

To the list of college teams that used metallic helmets last season, add BYU, Boise State, and Minnesota. Minnesota's are a hard to see, but it's pretty clear looking at the Schutt mini-helmets that came out last year. I think Minnesota looks a lot better with the change--the maroon looks a lot more lively. BYU is of course switching to "new" old school uniforms this year with white helmets, so it remains to be seen if the they will use a "pearly" look.

apBYU01_NOTRE_DAME_BY_004SD.jpg

apBYU01_BYU_BOISE_ST_0046F.jpg

celebration20069.jpg

Lloyd20Rhys20074.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

My understanding of a metallic helmet would be that you would see some sort of "chrome" effect, especially in sunlight. The Texans may have a metallic helmet, but it looks pretty flat to me, and I've seen them up close at games.

Are there different degrees of metallic?

51199415.jpg52728646.jpg

Yes, there are several different finishes that are considered metallic. For instance, Ohio State uses a silver metallic that I believe they consider a "flake" finish. The Raiders use a silver (although different color) that is a less metallic finish. I'll try to take some photos this week and post - it's easier to see the differences.

Swisher - I take it you live in the Houston area. What part do you live in? I live up in the Magnolia/Woodlands area.

Kevin

Archived