MLS Club on the Move?

Sources at AEG (Anschutz Entertainment Group) and reports in the Greater Houston press have confirmed that the long-developing purchase of the San Jose Earthquakes by Grupo Televisa - parent entity to the Mexican soccer team Club America - has been finalized contingent upon a decision being made about where the team will play.

Meetings have been held regarding a proposal to build a soccer-specific stadium on land owned by the Houston Independent School District. Grupo Televisa officials have attended those meetings. In the meantime, it is rumored that the relocated MLS club would play home matches a the Astrodome.

I do think it is very stupid that LA has two clubs when Houston and San Diego don't have one. Chivas should have selected San Diego or Houston instead of LA. Chivas should move not the Galaxy. Rumor has it, FIFA has caped the league at 18 teams. It will be interesting to see Division 1, Division 2, Division 3 set up. What about a team to Milwaukee or San Diego? Does anyone remember San Jose as the Clash or rumor name change to Sex Pistols.

Please God, tell me that the Galaxy aren't going to move to SJ and become the Earthquakes like the rumor has been.

The Galaxy aren't rumored to be on the move to San Jose. They're AEG's flagship franchise amongst the five teams the company currently operates in MLS. What's more, AEG also owns and operates their stadium, the Home Depot Center. Further, the company has just entered into an agreement with David Beckham that will see the British soccer star operate a youth soccer training facility in conjunction with the HDC.

It would make absolutely no sense for AEG to move the Galaxy anywhere... least of all San Jose, a market that AEG was lukewarm about setting up shop in to begin with. They only took over operation of the Earthquakes as a favor to the league. AEG will apparently sell the Earthquakes to Club America, is in the process of selling DC United to a local ownership group in DC/Virginia and may divest themselves of Chicago eventually. Ultimately, I could see AEG operating just the Galaxy and MetroStars... provided that they can get the soccer-specific stadium in Harrison, NJ built. Otherwise, they might opt to hang on to LA and Chicago instead... or get rid of every team but Los Angeles.

Bottom line? The Galaxy aren't going anywhere and whoever told you otherwise is seriously misinformed.

Maybe the field there isn't large enough for soccer?

But there are teams that play at Arrowhead and the Medowlands :)

I know that; the New England Revolution play at Gillette Stadium, too.

What I meant to say is that perhaps Reliant wasn't built to accomodate soccer, like the other stadia mentioned are. That might be why the Astrodome is being floated as a possible home.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Anyone consider Phoenix AZ as a possible MLS site......especially with the new stadium coming in 06. Also, dont count out Seattle as a potential MLS home. on the other hand, I hope San Jose is able to keep its team because they have a unique home field advantage which can be carried over to a new soccer only stadium, if their ownership keeps the team there.

What I meant to say is that perhaps Reliant wasn't built to accomodate soccer, like the other stadia mentioned are. That might be why the Astrodome is being floated as a possible home.

Reliant is definately FIFA approved, they had a match there last year (?) between two Mexican League teams, so maybe it isnt the right dimensions but soccer is fesable. Maybe its Reliants owners with the problem. I also think the US national team played Mexico there recently too....but the crowd was :censored: for some reason.

The only rumors about teams is....Rochester, Seattle, Cleveland, Newark, NJ, another Chicago, maybe Portland, and St Louis (a hotbed of soccer in the US for the past 100 years) is a long shot for some reason

Oh yeah, I forgot Toronto. No more Florida for some reason, why it didnt work I dont know, but they wont go back, so thats a shame.

I think if the bay area wants another team they should start something now. Its too bad San Jose wouldnt build a SSS. But SF was rumored a couple years ago as trying to steal the Earthquakes, maybe they can build a stadium up there and get an expansion Earthquakes.

Maybe on SF... Pac Bell worked really well when configured for football. But the field barely fit, so I don't know if there's room, in which case it's off to cavernous, creaky Candlestick.

If anyone tries to sell you on a second team in Chicago, smack them in the mouth. The Fire are geting their SSS next year and MLS would be daft if they attempted to split the already meager though rabid fanbase. I mean, that would be like putting a second team in Los Ange... oh.

As for Florida, it indeed, should work. And MLS should, in theory, give it another shot down there. But Miami and Tampa Bay were the two lowest-attended franchises during their respective tenures in the league. So I'd say no more pro soccer in the sunshine state.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The commisioner of MLS came out and said he likes the idea of DERBEYS (derbeys is an English term meaning that the 2 teams that SHARE a stadium play eachother). He also mentioned NYC as another 2 team territory....why? I dont know, but thats what the man is quoted as saying. I dont get it either, a lot of other cities deserve a team, SLC was a mistake and so was Chivas in LA.

What can I say, these are the same guys that talked about expanding slowly and then jumped into SLC when they put the money up for a SSS. Just because a city can fund a SSS doesnt mean MLS should automattically expand there.....and yet they did.

I named the cities (scroll up) that I have heard being mentioned by the commissioner and various groups that have interest in certain cities. You can only go where owners want to expand I guess.

Seattle

San Diego

San Antonio

Houston

Phoenix

Miami(2nd attempt)

Tampa(2nd attempt)

Toronto

If people can remember the Rowdies of TB in NASL were near the top in attendance almost every year. Miami, in my own opinion wouldn't work. Tampa Bay if someone that owns a soccer team and football team bought them they would work. I think Houston and San Antonio need outdoor arenas before we begin play there. Toronto and Vancouver I would love to see have teams.

This is how I envision MLS in about 7 to 10 years with the max expansion of 18 teams. I don't see them going to strength division setup ie division 1, division 2, division 3 but rather East, Central, West set up at 6 teams each.

East - DC, New England, Metrostars, Columbus, Cosmos, Toronto

Central - Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Kansas City, Chicago, Milwaukee

West - LA, Real Salt Lake, Colorado, Vancouver, Seattle, Chivas (San Diego)

SJ moves to Houston. Cosmos, Toronto, San Antonio, Milwaukee, Vancouver, Seattle will all be new teams.

Reliant is definately FIFA approved, they had a match there last year (?) between two Mexican League teams, so maybe it isnt the right dimensions but soccer is fesable. Maybe its Reliants owners with the problem. I also think the US national team played Mexico there recently too....but the crowd was :censored: for some reason.

The only rumors about teams is....Rochester, Seattle, Cleveland, Newark, NJ, another Chicago, maybe Portland, and St Louis (a hotbed of soccer in the US for the past 100 years) is a long shot for some reason

Rent would be the only issue for a team not to play at Reliant Stadium. Most NFL stadiums are alike in terms of dimensions, so it having a team play there wouldn't be a problem. The real issue(s) are atmosphere and projected attendance. You now see, gradually, more MLS teams play in smaller, more "intimate" stadiums.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived