Design a new mascot for ole miss and win $5,000

therebelas

I must have read it wrong then. SO really you can only use red blue and another color.

See I am going about it from a designer standpoint where black and white really arent colors and never counted.  I dont know how they are looking at it.  

It would be nice to add a accent liek Red Blue Gold and WHite.

Oh well Guess I will write and ask

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

Just so you know I live in Mississippi and I am a season ticket holder at Ole Miss and have been for years. I can't wait to see some of your concepts on the new mascot.

Keep one thing in mind Ole Miss is all about tradition, this mascot change has went over with alumni and fans about like a ton of bricks. I guess what I am saying is the color scheme will be red and blue and the Rebel name will not change.

The administrations excuse for the change was that the Col Reb was not athletic enough, he did not look mean enough to be a mascot. What they are really trying to do is get away from the civil war theme I beleive. First it was the confederate flag and now the Col.

I personally would like to see someone take the Col. and buff him up and make him look meaner but thats just me. This is something I found on the net and thought it was pretty cool but I don't know.

Mississippi State Bulldogs is our biggest rival thus the choking of the dog.

Rebelmsurivalrysmall_WEB.gif

Hey therebelas, what did the Phoenix folks come up with. I did not now that they had been fired.

Boone said their services were no longer needed.  Hence, I guess, this contest.  I have no idea what they came up with, but I guess it wasn't up to par.

Nitro?

Are you in on this??

Come on man...the Creamer is on a roll.  THey've set em up...it's up to this board to knock another one down.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Greg (Mr. Chocolate),

I actually have to disagree with you about black and white being not real colors. From a normal stand point, I'd say they are not real colors, but from a designer stand point, I see white as a non color, but black to me is a color. White is used in just about every scheme. If you use black, it's generally an official color.

I hate to rain on the Ole Miss parade, the "eagle" logo is good but Southern Miss and Auburn University (a league rival) use a "bird of prey" logo - I'm not sure if Ole Miss will want to have a logo that close to those schools,  IMO.

The logos posted are great though. ???

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

sounds like a good contest for everyone.  the school gets many options for one low contest cost.  the designer gets a nice prize (yea, $5K is nice).  and their fans should have a nice new logo to run out and support/buy more gear.

BTW, anyone care to share the "Ole Miss" vector?

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

This is very OT, but what the heck, I think its a great story! Apparently when people where deciding where to put the University of Mississippi, the people of some town hit upon the idea of changing there town's name to Oxford, in the hopes of attracting the University to its fairly small and dieing surroundings! The trick worked and hey presto the University was given to the newly renamed town of Oxford, Mississippi!

(I didnt say it was a funny story or anything, but at least you all feel a little mopre educated all of a sudden!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

OK, disclaimers.

-I don't think slavery was good.

- You all have hopefully come to know my work enough that my concepts are extremely rough at first. I work almost like a painter and compose as fast as I can. Going back draft over draft to fine tune. My Moose proposal WAS sloppy and garbage but I got better. So yes, I know the figure in here is terrible crap. But I'll get to him later.  I am more looking to see from you guys if I am completely off my rocker and lost touch with reality.

-I think, if you read the rules of this contest closely. They are asking, if not begging, for someone to come forward with something along these lines. Maybe I am crazy. But I think they are pissed they have to change at all, and hoping to walk that line between tasteful and traditional. I mean, they use the words "challenge the status quo" in the rules!?!

My guess is they called in Phoenix...Phoenix suggested something like a Hound Dog or a bullfrog or the Ole Miss Rising Tide to which the alumni scoffed and said, "You dont know our school or history at all, get outta here".

And to that I say...good for them. I DO NOT want this thread to turn into a debate over the confederate imagery...but the truth is that that war was over the right for states to make their own laws...something that still is bothersome today. If a state wants to legalize weed, the federal government can withhold highway funding or some nonsense as punishment. So although slavery gets the pub...there was honor in the souths history. There was yuck too, but standing up for what you believe in is not wrong. We honestly cannot expect these people to live the rest of their days ashamed and embarrassed of who they were. As a culture, we are the sum of our bests and worsts and to be a rebel, signifies some of both.

Anyway, I digress. I am going to refine this LOTS...but I was looking for some input design and context wise. If you think me a bastard for proposing this, please start a "Sterling is a bastard" thread so I dont ruin this one for everybody.

I think this is what they want guys. If I can tighten it up...make it less drawing and more logo...I feel good about it.

http://north18.com/images/olemiss_1.gif

Thoughts?

PS - I know I broke the color rule. It doesnt matter in the end I dont think.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I DO NOT want this thread to turn into a debate over the confederate imagery...

Good point.  The bottom line is, the logo is solid, classic and hold true to the tradition of Mississippi.  My grandfather, being from Brookhaven, MS was a proud, stubborn ole' country doctor, who didn't think slavery was right, but would stand up for what he believed to be true.

I like it Sterling, I like it alot!  Again, not that I am for slavery, I agree with a lot that you say.  But as an artist you have got to create or design based on what you feell is right.

I'm sure the politically correct group would jump on the "burn-in-hell" wagon, but I like your idea of designing the logo on the basis of who these people are and what they are about - not slavery, but a proud tradition.  And let me tell you, the South knows 'tradition'.

Keep up the great work Sterling! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Lets not forget why the civil war took place in the first place.  It was not mainly to abolish slavery, in fact that was a lesser issue.  The civil war was started over whether or not a state had the right to secede from the union.  So the depiction of the confederate soldier is accurate.  They wanted to "rebel" from the union.  With that said, the logo is solid.  I don't think the PC people would be too cool with the soldier drawing the sword.  Maybe both hand on then flag?

Archived