My kc chiefs concept

Avenger

Really cool, looks very superhero-ish to me.  I especially like the treatment of the classic arrowhead logo and the side stripes (including the use of negative space on the pants striping to complete the jersey stripe)...

QPR%20Sig.png

I like the striping, though I'm not so into the addition of so much black.  That, and the letters look like they're an "F" away from being "finger-lickin' good."

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Thanks for the comments, guys...

I played with a lot of different color combos, and this road jersey was by far the sharpest.

I know theres a huge anti-black sentitment on these boards, but white sleeves/gussets made the jersey to soft IMO, yellow sleeves looked too bright and cheesey, and I even tried using red on the sleeves (too much red IMO). While the white or red sleeves didn't look bad to me, they didn't look good, either.

Nothing seemed to work for me like the black.

I really like where you're going with the Jerseys - however - I would try to keep some of the sleeve striping, and keep the black out of the logo. In all, I think you can make the jerseys and logo work without the black. Adding black seems like a cop-out in most uniform updates. But I digress.

The Chiefs have a very interesting design, and I'm glad that someone has taken this challenge!

...Adding black seems like a cop-out in most uniform updates...

How so?

Seriously, if someone can explain to me the rationale of why utilizing black to create contrast and modernize a look is so terrible, than maybe I'll shut up about it.

I'm not so sure the addition of black is a way to "modernize."  It's not that I'm against black as a usable colour, but sometimes adding a large amount of any colour not already used in a colour scheme looks odd.  Hence, why the black on the home jerseys looks so odd to me.

I'm definitely not a fan of the black arrowhead; I'd much rather see it remain white, since it's a better contrast with the red helmet--and besides, it just looks right.  The black and gold trim on the arrowhead would look nice with that, along with a red "KC" (and maybe the gold and/or black trim on that as well?).

I think the biggest reason they look odd to me is that they look a bit too much like the Calgary Flames' new jerseys.  But I do love the striping pattern, it's very original.

BTW, I'm curious how the striping plays out on the inside of the pant legs.  Any chance to see a front view of the pants?

POTD 2013-08-22

And to be clear, I don't think adding black will improve every identity, and I don't think using black in a way that it negates a team's identity in a fundamental way is good either, but if you want to add excitement to a color pallette, you need contrast, and to have contrast with bright colors like red and yellow, you need a dark color.

Black is not the devil. :)

The main reason I used black on the arrowhead, Mockba, is because I wanted the KC to pop out more than the arrowhead. To me the arrowhead is a large enough element that it can be recognized easily enough without contrasting hard against the red. Also, I wanted it to fit the feel of the home jersey. I used black a lot for the home jersey (for reasons I already posted), and a white arrowhead didn't seem to fit for me. It looked soft compared to the rest of the uniform.

In terms of the Calgary Flames thing, not only are they different sports, different cities, different countries, but they are not in a position where anyone would confuse the two. It would be different if they were divisional rivals, but they are not.

When I design concepts for existing teams my goals are simple- make it look asethitically good without compromising the positive aspects of the brand. Obviously that's subjective and I might be a bit biased, but I truly think that I've accomplished that.

I know it's different than what they currently have..... but isn't that the point?

In terms of the Calgary Flames thing, not only are they different sports, different cities, different countries, but they are not in a position where anyone would confuse the two. It would be different if they were divisional rivals, but they are not.

I didn't mean to say you were ripping them off, just saying what it looked like.  But, were I a fan of a team, and the team went through a pretty major transformation, only to end up looking curiously like another major-sport team (yes, I'm counting hockey), I'd be disappointed.

Anyway, as I said, I really like the striping pattern, it's unique.  Overall, it's a nice concept.  There are just a couple things about it that don't look right to me.  The home jersey looks strange with that much black, but your logic is good--there's not much else you could have put there in that scheme.  The helmets just look very off, to me, with black arrowheads.

And the font's still way too close to KFC's.  :D

ftr_kfc.gif

POTD 2013-08-22

I agree with Mockba, that it seems strange to use a color that's not in the existing palette - and I feel that too many teams have used black or dark blue to "modernize" their uniforms - and that they've done this in a crude, pandering-to-the-focus-groups way.

The black in your design DID look good, and it did contrast well - but why not explore a deeper, darker red to fill that role? Just a thought. I didn't mean to come across so harshly. Let me re-state: you did a great job on the design!

Let's all remember that Black is and has been an official color of the Chiefs since day one.

It's been in the logo all these years (including the Dallas years), so why not incorporate it a bit more?

Avenger

Just a few comments from a man who lives in KC (but I am not a true Chiefs' fan - I root for 'em, but if they lose, I'm not in a bad mood on Monday like so many are around here)

First:  Awesome jersey and pants concept.  The red Arrowhead logo is great.  The black arrowhead doesn't show up well, however just a suggestion;  what about a yellow arrowhead and trim in black & white.  I also like a shadow effect for the 'KC'.

The fans around here are nuts about the 'black' jersey they sell to the fans (though it's not anything in the offical wardrobe list)  Friday is "Red day" here in town - business' and fans love it!  

So, the fans here would love the new jersey, yes the black is great in your concept.

Sharp concept - really great! :)  :D  :cool:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

These are pretty nice concepts, but to echo the sentiments of many others, I don't like the black arrowheads/facemasks or the striping on the home jersey. I think they look way too much like the San Francisco Demons of the XFL. You need to put more white in the scheme; there isn't any in the main logo. Also:

Let's all remember that Black is and has been an official color of the Chiefs since day one.

It's been in the logo all these years (including the Dallas years), so why not incorporate it a bit more?

If this is true, than why not add black to the cowboys unis, since they have black in the sleeve stripes, or why not put some brown in the Redskins unis, since their Indian logo is brown? Just because a logo has a touch of one color, deosn't mean the team has to put it into their scheme/uniforms.

Archived