The Greatest Basketball Player of All-Time

bhambruiser

in no way do I say this to knock Bill Russell- I just found it interesting- but he never averaged 20 points per game in a single season.

I know that wasn't necessarily his bag, he blocked shots grabbed boards and was like a Ben Wallace-type player (with more "O" than Big Ben obviously) but I thought that was pretty remarkable

he did, however, average over 20 rebounds for his 13 year career and as has been mentioned he won a buttload of titles. But I would have a hard time saying he was the second best or even the best. In the top 10? sure.

in no way do I say this to knock Bill Russell- I just found it interesting- but he never averaged 20 points per game in a single season.

I know that wasn't necessarily his bag, he blocked shots grabbed boards and was like a Ben Wallace-type player (with more "O" than Big Ben obviously) but I thought that was pretty remarkable

he did, however, average over 20 rebounds for his 13 year career and as has been mentioned he won a buttload of titles. But I would have a hard time saying he was the second best or even the best. In the top 10? sure.

so just curious in response to that post, what made Jordan the best? he had a boatload of points (3rd most ever), 6 titles, and a fair amount of rebounds and assists. Im just looking for a non-marketing oriented comparison

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

so just curious in response to that post, what made Jordan the best? he had a boatload of points (3rd most ever), 6 titles, and a fair amount of rebounds and assists. Im just looking for a non-marketing oriented comparison

he was just a great all-around player.

He was a great scorer, he was huge in the clutch (even since college) and he was a great defender (averaged 2.35 steals per game for his career, NBA Defensive POY 1988, 9-time NBA All-Defensive First Team) 14-time All-Star. He averaged the most points in the history of the game- won 6 titles, 5 time League MVP.

So yeah that is not based on marketing- Jordan was the best.

I think this is a good topic, nice informed discussion. But I don't like operating under the assumption that Jordan was automatically the best any more than I like to just grant Jerry Rice the best receiver ever title.

Luck has it's place in life and sports. If MJ had played his whole career under Doug Collins and never had Scottie Pippen or the other solid ensemble players around him he may have had a decidedly different career. Rewind a bit.........who was MJ when he was dropping 63 but losing to Boston? Who was he when the Pistons were pushing him around, making him mad, but ultimately beating him in the playoffs? As fate would have it, he would soon turn the corner and before you know it he's the elder statesman and ultimate champion. But he may have been closer to Vince Carter or Allen Iverson-ish. He was/is a similar shot hog.

Not to take anything away from him...really. Some people seem to be born winners, and some (Chris Webber) seem born runners up even though their skills are amazing.

I like at least keeping the debate open that players like Russell and Chamberlain and even Magic were similarly "great". Whatever we deem that word to mean.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I think MJ is the best, but its not the biggest runaway ever like some people think.

Wilt, Magic, Kareem, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, and Larry could be put in the discussion.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

Oh, and as a side note, LeBron will be as good or better than Jordan skills wise in 2-3 years

Hard to imagine you're from Ohio. :rolleyes:^_^

lol. Im not gonna pretend im not a bit of a homer, but LeBron's numbers are already comparable or better than Jordan's. He's averaging 2+ steals the same way Jordan did (jumping the lanes and risking getting beaten off the dribble), and averaging 25+ points. Additionally, in only his 2nd year in the league, he's averaging over 7 rebounds and 7 assists per, better than Jordan's numbers. With a few titles, how is he not better than MJ?

oubrutus.jpg

2qi7psy.gif

when you're replacing an old Carr, you need more than Les Miles

I think this is a good topic, nice informed discussion.  But I don't like operating under the assumption that Jordan was automatically the best any more than I like to just grant Jerry Rice the best receiver ever title.

Luck has it's place in life and sports.  If MJ had played his whole career under Doug Collins and never had Scottie Pippen or the other solid ensemble players around him he may have had a decidedly different career.  Rewind a bit.........who was MJ when he was dropping 63 but losing to Boston? Who was he when the Pistons were pushing him around, making him mad, but ultimately beating him in the playoffs?  As fate would have it, he would soon turn the corner and before you know it he's the elder statesman and ultimate champion.  But he may have been closer to Vince Carter or Allen Iverson-ish.  He was/is a similar shot hog.

Not to take anything away from him...really.  Some people seem to be born winners, and some (Chris Webber) seem born runners up even though their skills are amazing.

I like at least keeping the debate open that players like Russell and Chamberlain and even Magic were similarly "great".  Whatever we deem that word to mean.

i think part of what makes Jordan's mistique so great was his ability to his shots in the clutch. He was almost automatic, even when everyone in the building knew the ball was coming to him.

Some players are the best because they take advantage of their situations and because they can propel a team to victory. Are we gonna say that Ruth was not great because he had Gehrig in the lineup with him. Almost all great players are surrounded with other great players.

Even when the Bulls were getting knocked out of the playoffs Jordan was still great. It is the fact that he bounced back from those disappointments to lead his team to 6 titles that propelled him to another level, not to mention the fact that the guy averaged over 30 points per game for his career, one of only two to do that.

Opinions may vary as to who is THE BEST, but Jordan is certainly #1 in my opinion

EDIT- One more thing- I believe you MAKE your own luck. Luck is winning the lottery- Jordan relied on far more than luck

Archived