Big 12 10th Anniversary Logo

artvandelay

I don't really understand this. The Big XII is simply the expansion of the Big 8 plus a few of the old SWC teams.

So in 10 years, will the ACC celebrate a 10th "Anniversary"? Where was the Big Ten's 15th "Anniversary" celebration logo this year?

I don't really understand this. The Big XII is simply the expansion of the Big 8 plus a few of the old SWC teams.

So in 10 years, will the ACC celebrate a 10th "Anniversary"? Where was the Big Ten's 15th "Anniversary" celebration logo this year?

Did the ACC or Big 10 change it's name? Then there is your answer.

This doesn't bother me. The former big 8 added four schools, split into divisions, added a football championship game and changed names. If they want to celebrate 10 years with four new teams and a new name, go for it.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

10th Anniversary of what? 10 is 10 has been 10. what Pacific to pac?

Sorry... I meant 25th anniversary 2 years ago.

And no, 10 is not 10 has not always been 10.

Well, almost as long as Ive been alive.....hmmmm :D

On the Pac 10 site they didnt list a history....which would be interesting.

TCU has switched so many conferences they may as well be an independent....dont know where that came from.....

Then tell me why the Pac-10 didn't celebrate the 25th anniversary of their change 2 years ago.

It was the same conference that added two teams not a new conference with 12 teams.

Btw, 2008 will be the 80th Anniversary of the Big 6 if you want to take it all the way back.

Despite being obvious to even the most casual fans of college sports that the Big 12 is simply the Big 8 plus the major Texas schools, for historical purposes, the SWC AND the Big 8 ceased to exist in 1996 and the Big 12 was formed then. Thus, all Big 12 conference records start in 1996 and ignore anything that was accomplished before then. If you peruse the conference records - http://www.big12sports.com/sports/m-footbl...edia-guide.html -, you'll find that there are no records before 1996. (Oddly enough, Nebraska's sellout and Texas's non-shutout pre-1996 active streaks are listed differently on page 103.)

Unlike the Big 12, which was organized as a new conference, the Pac-10 in 1962, 1964, and 1978, the Big Ten in 1899, 1912, 1950, and 1994, the ACC in 1978, 1992, 2004, and 2005, the Big East in 2004 and 2005, and the SEC in 1992 all were in continuous operation. The NCAA's history of each is continuous. http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/footba...all_records.pdf at 515-17.

The founders of the Big 12 clearly made a conscious effort to form a new conference not to expand the Big 8. Whether or not it is silly is a matter of opinion. (I personally think that it's silly.) The best analogy is not to another conference but to the NFL. Just as the Baltimore Ravens do not (and are not allowed to) refer to any records accomplished in Cleveland because the Ravens are a completely new entity that came into existence in 1996 and not a continuation of the Browns franchise that remained in Cleveland, the Big 12 is a completely new entity and not a continuation of the Big 8.

Edit: Fixed the hyperlinks.

Anyone look at that Big 12 logo and instantly hope there will be a 12th anniversary logo? There could be a TWELFTH, a 12, and XII all in the same logo, if they use the same format!

cyandlux, the Arizona schools were the last to be added to the Pac-10. It used to be called the Pacific-8 Conference.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Because the Big 8 records ended in 1996. The Big XII keeps seperate records from the Big 8 and SWC. The other leagues simply expanded or switched out teams. This was a brand new league, not an extension of the Big 8.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I still don't understand why the Big 10 is the Big 10 when they got 11 teams?

Thats a good point. I think with teams switching conferences so much these days all the conferences with numbers seem silly, especially the Big ten with 11 members. That said, I will contradict myself, I like the Pac10 but if they were to add another team I'd hope they would change the name.

• 4 weeks later...
I still don't understand why the Big 10 is the Big 10 when they got 11 teams?

The conference deliberately did not change its name when it added Penn State because it hoped to add Notre Dame very soon thereafter, and didn't see any reason to change to Big 11 when something else was only a couple years away (theoretically). Notre Dame never joined, and by then, the discomfort of having 11 teams but being called the Big 10 didn't bother them anymore.

Archived