NHL home jerseys -- still the darks?

SteveR

On Saturday's draft, there more than a trickle of white jerseys given to draft picks when they got to the stage. The past two years -- during the emphasis on the dark jerseys -- that's all you saw on draft day.

So, is there anything to be taken from this? Or am I reaching for a non-existant topic?

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

On Saturday's draft, there more than a trickle of white jerseys given to draft picks when they got to the stage. The past two years -- during the emphasis on the dark jerseys -- that's all you saw on draft day.

So, is there anything to be taken from this? Or am I reaching for a non-existant topic?

Your reaching because there were a bunch a dark jersey's at the draft.

I really don't understand the NHL. In my lifetime, it has gone from dark sweaters at home, to light sweaters at home, to dark sweaters at home. I wish there would be a consistency that the NHL could stay with.

And, speaking of consistency, I REALLY hate it when NFL teams will go dark for some home games and light for some others. There should be an NFL rule that all home teams will wear dark jerseys at home, and that includes the Dallas Cowboys.

The reason teams sometimes wear white at home is due to heat. That is why Miami always wears white during day home games, and its the same for San Diego. It's also tradition. Dallas, Miami and Washington have worn the whites for years now. There is no law against it in the rules, so why not keep your guys feeling cool and looking good? I know that, among other teams in the past few years, Cleveland, Tennessee, Arizona and Tampa Bay have worn white at home.

ducks-large.jpg

I really don't understand the NHL. In my lifetime, it has gone from dark sweaters at home, to light sweaters at home, to dark sweaters at home. I wish there would be a consistency that the NHL could stay with.

They didn't switch because they just felt like it. They switched because teams wanted to wear 3rd jersey's at home which were dark. That meant teams had to bring 2 sets of jersey's on road trips. Because of how airport security is now they felt it would better for the home team to wear dark. There was a legit reason for the switch.

They didn't switch because they just felt like it. They switched because teams wanted to wear 3rd jersey's at home which were dark. That meant teams had to bring 2 sets of jersey's on road trips. Because of how airport security is now they felt it would better for the home team to wear dark. There was a legit reason for the switch.

Airport security has nothing to do with it. All NHL teams fly on charters and do not go thru security.

The reason teams sometimes wear white at home is due to heat. That is why Miami always wears white during day home games, and its the same for San Diego. It's also tradition. Dallas, Miami and Washington have worn the whites for years now. There is no law against it in the rules, so why not keep your guys feeling cool and looking good? I know that, among other teams in the past few years, Cleveland, Tennessee, Arizona and Tampa Bay have worn white at home.

San Diego wears darks at home...for a few years they'd wear white during preseason and the first 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season to beat the heat, but they seemed to have discovered its not that hot in san diego that time of year.

just writing this so i can get an avatar

:D

????? Why can't you get an avatar?

I can't wait to hear his reason

I was on a board that made you wait for 25 posts to get one...

but I guess that is not it here.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I guess I had never thought of it in terms of having to bring two sets of uniforms on the road. I guess that is a solid reason.

It's not like the NFL where there is a very structured schedule and you know what uniform to bring. You can have four or five game road trips. It would be a mess.

The only reason I can think of that this would be a problem is if you were a season ticket holder. I'd rather see all my oponents' dark uniforms than their whites. But that's about all I can think of...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

for a few years they'd wear white during preseason and the first 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season to beat the heat, but they seemed to have discovered its not that hot in san diego that time of year.

They still do wear white for early-season home games. So does Philly, Cleveland and the others mentioned in this thread.

I had forgotten about the sensical "just take your whites on the road" consideration for the NHL. Guess that means there won't be any white alts for a while. (I think only the Rangers and LA had a white alt at one time).

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

They switched because teams wanted to wear 3rd jersey's at home which were dark. That meant teams had to bring 2 sets of jersey's on road trips. Because of how airport security is now they felt it would better for the home team to wear dark. There was a legit reason for the switch.

Where in the world did you hear that???

When they made the change, the NHL said in the official release that part of the reason was logistical, in that when a team wanted to wear a 3rd at home, that meant the opponent, if playing back-to-back road games, would have to bring two complete sets of uniforms on the trip (for most teams, a "set" is 3 jerseys per player, one for each period).

just writing this so i can get an avatar

:D

????? Why can't you get an avatar?

I can't wait to hear his reason

Didn't you see his thread on that?

Anyway--the NHL was dark at home but switched to dark on the road because of laundry bills--white unis on the road are ahrder to clean and thet racked up higher laundry bills--thus the initial switch--which lasted over 30 years--doesn't sound like switching on a whim...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I thought most rinks had laundry facilities for the visiting teams, at least the new rinks have to have them. I know I'm in the minority here, but I wish they would let the home teams choose what to wear.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I agree that I wish the home teams had the choice...actually, I know they used to, but I don't know if that's still the choice.

Regardless, I hate darks at home.

In hockey, white jerseys are so much nicer. You can show off all your colors and it allows for more contrast. If teams were smart enough to do some nice white alternates (plenty of possilbities), we wouldn't have this problem.

On the other hand, I think basketball should do darks at home and whites on the road...err...I think that'd work well...but if tradition says no, it doesn't bother me. There is not nearly as much room for color striping patterns on white basketball jerseys as there are on hockey jerseys, so color basketball jerseys are generally better looking. So that when combined with the possiblitity of wearing alts at home, seems to make that a good idea for basketball IMO.

Archived